By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Until Dawn Review Thread - Meta: 80

LudicrousSpeed said:
Seems my 81 prediction will be 1 point off.

My original prediction was 85 but so much negativity in the thread made me drop my score down to 80.... Which is where we are!

Around the Network

Wow, impressive, cracking the 8. It's quite a psychological barrier for some people. And it well exceeds what I thought it would get on metacritic. Arkham Knights console reviews topped out at about 100 (some double ups between the PS4 and Xb one page). So I expect there are probably not more than 5-10 reviews for Until Dawn left to role in. Unless there's another Digital Spy completely missed the point of the game review the magic 8 should be secure.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Samus Aran said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Samus Aran said:

It doesn't matter, I'm merely curious why a game like this is getting so many reviews.

I haven't played Until Dawn (and I have no desire to play a game that uses jump scares to scare people, that's incredibly low imo), and I never once used quality in any of my arguments. Let's keep this objective and stop being so defensive.

As for metascore of Splatoon, the game released with one third of the content it has now (all free dlc) and it still outscored Until Dawn. You really want to go down this route? I never once mentioned the metascore of this or other games, merely the quantity of reviews.

A metascore of 80% isn't even good btw, even Disney Infinity 3.0 has 85% on metacritic. Must mean it's much better than Until Dawn, right? ;)

Again, what's up with being so defensive all the time? You see it in countless of Sony related threads (just look at the titel of the official PS thread here lol). I'm basically asking the same thing dernebel asked, why does this game get so many reviews compared to other games?

This has double the reviews of MGSV!

Ugh, dude. Dont talk about things you dont know. Jump scares end after the first 3 chapters, the vast majority take place in the 1st chapter. And thats all just set up (no more cause spoilers). The game has very REAL scares and very REAL emotions as it progresses. Its final chapters are some of the most memorable moments Ive experienced in a very, very, long time. It also uses motion controls far mouch better, and far less gimicky, than most games Ive played. It actually ENHANCES the experience and isnt some cheap ass gimmick. You'd know if youve played it or watched any videos. .

"A metascore of 80% isn't even good btw" Yeah, another senseless jab. Anything to make the game look infirior right. Alien Isolation also got a 79 and Ill take games like that over most 3rd party games and practically every Nintendo game any of the week.

The game got many reviews because its INTERESTING, people actually CARE. I mean, you care enough to come in here and ruffle feathers right? Im sure that answers your question. Anything else is just provocation.

I'm saying 80% isn't good on metacritic because metacritic constantly overrates games (it's not a jab against Until Dawn, it's a jab against metacritic and gaming journalism in general). GTA IV has 98% anùd most people hate it.

It doesn't matter to me when jump scares end, they're there. I have an anxiety disorder, I get less pain from being punched in the face than from jump scares. Which is why I never once said anything about the quality of this game as I'll never play it, so I can't judge. I'll never play it because of the jump scares. Even one jump scare can cause me hours of chest pain akin to a heart attack.

Sorry to hear you have an anxiety disorder a good friend of mine suffered from anxiety for about 6 months and it was absolutely awful.

Having said that the way you wrote about about the jump scares appeared to use it as a value judgement against the quality of the game: "and I have no desire to play a game that uses jump scares to scare people, that's incredibly low imo" Without understanding more context that final phrase has the appearance of judging an aspect of the game qualitatively as being poor game design. And it would be right if that's all the game had for scares. Personally I hate jump scares because even though I don't have anxiety I still hate the palpitations it causes. and for some reason I like them less as I get older. Perhaps because my body is getting closer to genuine heart attack age my subconscious doesn;t want me putting any more stress on my heart than is necessary.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Samus Aran said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Samus Aran said:

It doesn't matter, I'm merely curious why a game like this is getting so many reviews.

I haven't played Until Dawn (and I have no desire to play a game that uses jump scares to scare people, that's incredibly low imo), and I never once used quality in any of my arguments. Let's keep this objective and stop being so defensive.

As for metascore of Splatoon, the game released with one third of the content it has now (all free dlc) and it still outscored Until Dawn. You really want to go down this route? I never once mentioned the metascore of this or other games, merely the quantity of reviews.

A metascore of 80% isn't even good btw, even Disney Infinity 3.0 has 85% on metacritic. Must mean it's much better than Until Dawn, right? ;)

Again, what's up with being so defensive all the time? You see it in countless of Sony related threads (just look at the titel of the official PS thread here lol). I'm basically asking the same thing dernebel asked, why does this game get so many reviews compared to other games?

This has double the reviews of MGSV!

Ugh, dude. Dont talk about things you dont know. Jump scares end after the first 3 chapters, the vast majority take place in the 1st chapter. And thats all just set up (no more cause spoilers). The game has very REAL scares and very REAL emotions as it progresses. Its final chapters are some of the most memorable moments Ive experienced in a very, very, long time. It also uses motion controls far mouch better, and far less gimicky, than most games Ive played. It actually ENHANCES the experience and isnt some cheap ass gimmick. You'd know if youve played it or watched any videos. .

"A metascore of 80% isn't even good btw" Yeah, another senseless jab. Anything to make the game look infirior right. Alien Isolation also got a 79 and Ill take games like that over most 3rd party games and practically every Nintendo game any of the week.

The game got many reviews because its INTERESTING, people actually CARE. I mean, you care enough to come in here and ruffle feathers right? Im sure that answers your question. Anything else is just provocation.

I'm saying 80% isn't good on metacritic because metacritic constantly overrates games (it's not a jab against Until Dawn, it's a jab against metacritic and gaming journalism in general). GTA IV has 98% anùd most people hate it.

It doesn't matter to me when jump scares end, they're there. I have an anxiety disorder, I get less pain from being punched in the face than from jump scares. Which is why I never once said anything about the quality of this game as I'll never play it, so I can't judge. I'll never play it because of the jump scares. Even one jump scare can cause me hours of chest pain akin to a heart attack.

Sorry to hear you have an anxiety disorder a good friend of mine suffered from anxiety for about 6 months and it was absolutely awful.

Having said that the way you wrote about about the jump scares appeared to use it as a value judgement against the quality of the game: "and I have no desire to play a game that uses jump scares to scare people, that's incredibly low imo" Without understanding more context that final phrase has the appearance of judging an aspect of the game qualitatively as being poor game design. And it would be right if that's all the game had for scares. Personally I hate jump scares because even though I don't have anxiety I still hate the palpitations it causes. and for some reason I like them less as I get older. Perhaps because my body is getting closer to genuine heart attack age my subconscious doesn;t want me putting any more stress on my heart than is necessary.

I can respect people's opinions if they think jump scares add something to a game or movie. It doesn't mean a game is bad to me, but it does mean I won't play it because I already have enough chestpain as is! The reason I mentioned that was to say I cannot give my opinion on the quality of Until Dawn as I'll never play it. The discussion I was having here was focused entirely on the quantity aspect (at least for me).

I have had chronic chest pain for 5 years now, it's hard, but manageable. It becomes worse under stress or heavy physical activity. Doctors have no clue what it is lol. But you know, I still have a better life than most people in this world (just look at the conflict in Syria and Iraq), so it's not all bad. :p

Samus Aran said:
How does such a niche game get 86 reviews on metacritic? That's more than Super Mario 3D World, Majora's Mask 3D and Mario Kart 8 lol.

Something's wrong with today's gaming journalism. Or metacritic's criteria.

might be less niche than you think. Beyond that last generation many playstation exclusive games got more reviews than wii games as well. Heavy Rain had 107 Even more than any the most reviewed uncharted 2 at 105 and Beyond two Souls had 98 more than uncharted 3 at 97 SOme other ps3 exclusives GOW 3 101 MGs4 82 LBB 85 LBP2 86 TLOU 98

Big wii games SMG 73 SMG2 87 LOZ TP 73 SSBB 81 LOZ SS 81 MArio Kart WIi 73 NSMB Wii 80

Around the Network

So the game charted on NPD with only 4 days of sales. At number 7, at fullprice, with next to no marketing and hype. Competing against two high profile budget games (Rare Replay and Gears of War). Surely, that says something no?

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

This game is all over youtube, everyone is playing it and loving it.

...maybe that has something to do with getting that many reviews over Nintendo games with their restrictive youtube policies.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Samus Aran said:
How does such a niche game get 86 reviews on metacritic? That's more than Super Mario 3D World, Majora's Mask 3D and Mario Kart 8 lol.

Something's wrong with today's gaming journalism. Or metacritic's criteria.

Most of Sony, MS, and Nintendo's games tend to settle in the 70 - 100 review range, regardless to how popular the title itself is expected to be. Sites are obviously going to prioritize doing reviews they think people will read, and exclusives tend to do pretty well in that regard (particularly Sony and MS's). Even if interest is still overall significantly smaller than that of a major title, as long as you can pass the 'worth taking the time to review' line (which almost all exclusives do), you'll usually settle at a similar number of reviews to the major one.

Differences past that are usually down to general variance, and how many review codes were actually sent out.

79 on Metacritic. Not bad, but us Xbox/Nintendo gamers hold our games to a higher standard.

User was moderated for this post - Zekkyou

Snoopy said:

79 on Metacritic. Not bad, but us Xbox/Nintendo gamers hold our games to a higher standard.

You go out of your way to invade Sony threads. You are pretty cool!