By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Until Dawn Review Thread - Meta: 80

Samus Aran said:
Kowan said:
Samus Aran said:
Kowan said:

Play it before you judge it. It was made to have a b-horror movie plot. That's the whole point of the game, to play with that concept. But the unique thing about Until dawn is how it make you control that concept and how characters will change depending on your choices. Do you want this character to follow the archetype seemingly set upon by the story so far or do you want to change that? And you can do so if you want. This game got more reviews because it's new, it was unexpected and it grabbed people's attention. Don't be so bitter just because your faves didn't get the same attention or in an even more shallow reason, didn't get more reviews, when the fact is those games you mentioned don't need so many reviews to prove that they are good games. People already know them, they're already established games but people are still new to Until Dawn. It's a new game, a new IP so obviously it will get more attention specially if it's a good one.

All of those things have been done countless times before. I'm not surprised some people try to spin this as being innovative though. We even had a thread here about how holding your controller still during a game as being the most innovative thing this generation.

I'm not bitter, merely asking a question. Stop being so defensive all the time.

Popular games usually get more reviews . To say they don't need reviews makes no sense.

So why is Until Dawn not deserving of getting more reviews when it is indeed a popular game? You complaining about this game getting more reviews than your favorite games is being bitter. And did I say that they do not need reviews? I said that they don't need that many reviews. It's already been established that they are great games, they're not games unfamiliar to people but Until Dawn IS so people will want to try them out. People tend to be more curious about an entirely new game than a sequel.

Popular games get more reviews on metacritic, that's a fact. GoW: A has more reviews than Until Dawn for example.

Just because a franchise was great in the past doesn't mean current games will be great as well, just look at Sonic. Every new game needs reviews, even if it belongs to a respected franchise.

I'm not complaining, nor bitter, just asking why a game that won't set any sales charts on fire is getting so many reviews.

"People tend to be more curious about an entirely new game than a sequel". Yeah, no.

Also this game already has more reviews than Splatoon which is:

- A new IP

- More innovative and fresh than Until Dawn

- More popular

- Will sell better

Merely asking why it gets so many reviews. Yet to hear a convincing reason.

I don't have the answers.  But then again, I don't care that much.  What you could do is look at the sites that reviewed Until Dawn.  Then look at the sites that reviewed your Nintendo games.  Then ask yourself why " site a" reviewed this game and "site b" did not.

Maybe it's a newer site.  Maybe it's a "PlayStation only " site.  Maybe it's a conspiracy.  I never compared the number of reviews.  If anything, I might compare scores.  You need convincing?  Your gonna have to convince yourself.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

I don't have the answers.  But then again, I don't care that much.  What you could do is look at the sites that reviewed Until Dawn.  Then look at the sites that reviewed your Nintendo games.  Then ask yourself why " site a" reviewed this game and "site b" did not.

Maybe it's a newer site.  Maybe it's a "PlayStation only " site.  Maybe it's a conspiracy.  I never compared the number of reviews.  If anything, I might compare scores.  You need convincing?  Your gonna have to convince yourself.

Bingo, only problem is that I'm too lazy. :p

It's not just Nintendo though, look at MGSV.

Samus Aran said:
How does such a niche game get 86 reviews on metacritic? That's more than Super Mario 3D World, Majora's Mask 3D and Mario Kart 8 lol.

Something's wrong with today's gaming journalism. Or metacritic's criteria.

I've figured it out!

You see, more websites have reviewed Until Dawn than the other games you've posted. Hence, it has more reviews on Metacritic.

Boom!

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Samus Aran said:
d21lewis said:

Bingo, only problem is that I'm too lazy. :p

It's not just Nintendo though, look at MGSV.

MGSV is a newer game and is still collecting reviews. It was 40 reviews yesterday and is 50 reviews now on Ps4 and 61 reviews overall. Until Dawn didn't start with 86 reviews.

Seems my 81 prediction will be 1 point off.

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
Samus Aran said:
How does such a niche game get 86 reviews on metacritic? That's more than Super Mario 3D World, Majora's Mask 3D and Mario Kart 8 lol.

Something's wrong with today's gaming journalism. Or metacritic's criteria.

I've figured it out!

You see, more websites have reviewed Until Dawn than the other games you've posted. Hence, it has more reviews on Metacritic.

Boom!

LMAO!!

Some people...

gooch_destroyer said:
Normchacho said:

I've figured it out!

Boom!

LMAO!!

Some people...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Samus Aran said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

Ugh, dude. Dont talk about things you dont know. Jump scares end after the first 3 chapters, the vast majority take place in the 1st chapter. And thats all just set up (no more cause spoilers). The game has very REAL scares and very REAL emotions as it progresses. Its final chapters are some of the most memorable moments Ive experienced in a very, very, long time. It also uses motion controls far mouch better, and far less gimicky, than most games Ive played. It actually ENHANCES the experience and isnt some cheap ass gimmick. You'd know if youve played it or watched any videos. .

"A metascore of 80% isn't even good btw" Yeah, another senseless jab. Anything to make the game look infirior right. Alien Isolation also got a 79 and Ill take games like that over most 3rd party games and practically every Nintendo game any of the week.

The game got many reviews because its INTERESTING, people actually CARE. I mean, you care enough to come in here and ruffle feathers right? Im sure that answers your question. Anything else is just provocation.

I'm saying 80% isn't good on metacritic because metacritic constantly overrates games (it's not a jab against Until Dawn, it's a jab against metacritic and gaming journalism in general). GTA IV has 98% anùd most people hate it.

It doesn't matter to me when jump scares end, they're there. I have an anxiety disorder, I get less pain from being punched in the face than from jump scares. Which is why I never once said anything about the quality of this game as I'll never play it, so I can't judge. I'll never play it because of the jump scares. Even one jump scare can cause me hours of chest pain akin to a heart attack.

are we living in the same universe? 

so you been punched in the face before? i can see why people would want to do that to you. 

bananaking21 said:

so you been punched in the face before? i can see why people would want to do that to you. 

Damn.

Boutros said:
bananaking21 said:

Damn.

I was nearly impaled by a javelin thrown by the Belgian champion at the time, does that count? :p