By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Until Dawn Review Thread - Meta: 80

Samus Aran said:

It doesn't matter, I'm merely curious why a game like this is getting so many reviews.

I haven't played Until Dawn (and I have no desire to play a game that uses jump scares to scare people, that's incredibly low imo), and I never once used quality in any of my arguments. Let's keep this objective and stop being so defensive.

As for metascore of Splatoon, the game released with one third of the content it has now (all free dlc) and it still outscored Until Dawn. You really want to go down this route? I never once mentioned the metascore of this or other games, merely the quantity of reviews.

A metascore of 80% isn't even good btw, even Disney Infinity 3.0 has 85% on metacritic. Must mean it's much better than Until Dawn, right? ;)

Again, what's up with being so defensive all the time? You see it in countless of Sony related threads (just look at the titel of the official PS thread here lol). I'm basically asking the same thing dernebel asked, why does this game get so many reviews compared to other games?

This has double the reviews of MGSV!

Ugh, dude. Dont talk about things you dont know. Jump scares end after the first 3 chapters, the vast majority take place in the 1st chapter. And thats all just set up (no more cause spoilers). The game has very REAL scares and very REAL emotions as it progresses. Its final chapters are some of the most memorable moments Ive experienced in a very, very, long time. It also uses motion controls far mouch better, and far less gimicky, than most games Ive played. It actually ENHANCES the experience and isnt some cheap ass gimmick. You'd know if youve played it or watched any videos. .

"A metascore of 80% isn't even good btw" Yeah, another senseless jab. Anything to make the game look infirior right. Alien Isolation also got a 79 and Ill take games like that over most 3rd party games and practically every Nintendo game any of the week.

The game got many reviews because its INTERESTING, people actually CARE. I mean, you care enough to come in here and ruffle feathers right? Im sure that answers your question. Anything else is just provocation.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

Now use the userscores of Amazon of Japan.

I didnt know we were looking at Japanese Metacritic. Yeah, you REALLY dont care about why the game has gotten so many reviews. Is it that hard for you to accept that most western gamers are into this kind of thing? Are you really that upset that this wasnt another 1886 and you couldnt gloat over how bad it was. Does it hurt that with so many reviews its managed to hold an 80 score, invalidating any if not all of your (probably negative) preconceived notions? Go all hipster on me and make silly comments about the masses not knowing any better, I dont care. People like this game, people are intereasted in this game, deal with it. *rollseyes*

Samus Aran said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
To drive my previous post further Ill reference user reviews from Amazon UK. Yes these reviews are all subjective but the game has a 4.5/5 rating with 99 reviews. And every review basically echos my sentiments, this game grabs you and doesn't let go. That explains all the reviews and positive vibes in my opinion. Everything about this game just clicks, its hard to describe to those who haven't played it or watched it first hand, but once you do its as clear as day.

5 - Unforgettable.
5 - BEST GAME IN THE WORLD
5 - Amazing!
5 - Brilliant!
5 - Greatest horror to date!
5 - Sony's slasher is a horror fans dream
5 - One of the best experiences on the PS4! (word)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UV7IQGC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Majority of the reviews in Amazon.jp complain about the senseless censorship of the game in Japan which is why they rate it low. The game has scenes wherein gore is present and in the Japanese version they reduce those scenes to a mere black screen with just audio present, some of those scenes are evn important specially in showing the characters' expressions and they stuck a black screen to them, breaking the immersion so I would be more surprised if no one complained.

SubiyaCryolite said:
Samus Aran said:

It doesn't matter, I'm merely curious why a game like this is getting so many reviews.

I haven't played Until Dawn (and I have no desire to play a game that uses jump scares to scare people, that's incredibly low imo), and I never once used quality in any of my arguments. Let's keep this objective and stop being so defensive.

As for metascore of Splatoon, the game released with one third of the content it has now (all free dlc) and it still outscored Until Dawn. You really want to go down this route? I never once mentioned the metascore of this or other games, merely the quantity of reviews.

A metascore of 80% isn't even good btw, even Disney Infinity 3.0 has 85% on metacritic. Must mean it's much better than Until Dawn, right? ;)

Again, what's up with being so defensive all the time? You see it in countless of Sony related threads (just look at the titel of the official PS thread here lol). I'm basically asking the same thing dernebel asked, why does this game get so many reviews compared to other games?

This has double the reviews of MGSV!

Ugh, dude. Dont talk about things you dont know. Jump scares end after the first 3 chapters, the vast majority take place in the 1st chapter. And thats all just set up (no more cause spoilers). The game has very REAL scares and very REAL emotions as it progresses. Its final chapters are some of the most memorable moments Ive experienced in a very, very, long time. It also uses motion controls far mouch better, and far less gimicky, than most games Ive played. It actually ENHANCES the experience and isnt some cheap ass gimmick. You'd know if youve played it or watched any videos. .

"A metascore of 80% isn't even good btw" Yeah, another senseless jab. Anything to make the game look infirior right. Alien Isolation also got a 79 and Ill take games like that over most 3rd party games and practically every Nintendo game any of the week.

The game got many reviews because its INTERESTING, people actually CARE. I mean, you care enough to come in here and ruffle feathers right? Im sure that answers your question. Anything else is just provocation.

I'm saying 80% isn't good on metacritic because metacritic constantly overrates games (it's not a jab against Until Dawn, it's a jab against metacritic and gaming journalism in general). GTA IV has 98% anùd most people hate it.

It doesn't matter to me when jump scares end, they're there. I have an anxiety disorder, I get less pain from being punched in the face than from jump scares. Which is why I never once said anything about the quality of this game as I'll never play it, so I can't judge. I'll never play it because of the jump scares. Even one jump scare can cause me hours of chest pain akin to a heart attack.

Kowan said:
Samus Aran said:

Majority of the reviews in Amazon.jp complain about the senseless censorship of the game in Japan which is why they rate it low. The game has scenes wherein gore is present and in the Japanese version they reduce those scenes to a mere black screen with just audio present, some of those scenes are evn important specially in showing the characters' expressions and they stuck a black screen to them, breaking the immersion so I would be more surprised if no one complained.

Now use the scores of Amazon South Africa! /s

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
Kowan said:

Now use the scores of Amazon South Africa! /s

My point was that user scores are rather unreliable in most cases.

Samus Aran said:

I'm saying 80% isn't good on metacritic because metacritic constantly overrates games (it's not a jab against Until Dawn, it's a jab against metacritic and gaming journalism in general). GTA IV has 98% anùd most people hate it.

It doesn't matter to me when jump scares end, they're there. I have an anxiety disorder, I get less pain from being punched in the face than from jump scares. Which is why I never once said anything about the quality of this game as I'll never play it, so I can't judge. I'll never play it because of the jump scares. Even one jump scare can cause me hours of chest pain akin to a heart attack.

Then you must have ignored my first post. As you can see I dont care about metacritic. Until Dawn could score 73 and Id still praise it. As for jump scares, practically every review and ever player knows its just a jab at cliches and a set up. So you using jump scares and calling them (thus the game) low, shows that you dont understand the game or simply dont appreciate what it sets out to achieve. If you really cant stand jump scares you probably dont watch horrors or would never play the game anyway so why are you still here? Weve already told you why its gotten so many reviews so what else are you trying to achieve?

"Regardless of its meta I must say that I've thoroughly enjoyed this game. I think Ill remember for years to come, its that unique, its that good! Just like Alien Isolation (79) don't put too much stock into metacritic, depending on your tastes a game rated 80 can be far more enjoyable than one rated 90+. I've always said that games are about the experience, how THEY make YOU feel. Its not graphics, resolution, fps or even gameplay (necessarily), but how a game grabs you which matters imo. For what this game sets out to achieve its experience is simply unrivaled. As far as Im concerned its a classic."

SubiyaCryolite said:
Samus Aran said:

Then you must have ignored my first post. As you can see I dont care about metacritic. Until Dawn could score 73 and Id still praise it. As for jump scares, practically every review and ever player knows its just a jab at cliches and a set up. So you using jump scares and calling them (thus the game) low, shows that you dont understand the game or simply dont appreciate what it sets out to achieve. If you really cant stand jump scares you probably dont watch horrors or would never play the game anyway so why are you still here? Weve already told you why its gotten so many reviews so what else are you trying to achieve?

"Regardless of its meta I must say that I've thoroughly enjoyed this game. I think Ill remember for years to come, its that unique, its that good! Just like Alien Isolation (79) don't put too much stock into metacritic, depending on your tastes a game rated 80 can be far more enjoyable than one rated 90+. I've always said that games are about the experience, how THEY make YOU feel. Its not graphics, resolution, fps or even gameplay (necessarily), but how a game grabs you which matters imo. For what this game sets out to achieve its experience is simply unrivaled. As far as Im concerned its a classic."

Never once in this thread did I attack Until Dawn's quality. Except that I hate jump scares.

I'm merely curious why this is getting more reviews than blockbuster games.

Samus Aran said:

I clearly acknowledge that in my post. Yet all non Japanese (non censored) user reviews are just as good as the UKs. My POINT was that players are very satisfied with what they get and the game has good word of mouth. Reviews, and the sheer number of reviews, reflects that. I didnt care about this game 2 months ago but now I wouldnt hesistate to recommend it to anyone I know who has a PS4.

"To drive my previous post further Ill reference user reviews from Amazon UK. Yes these reviews are all subjective but the game has a 4.5/5 rating with 99 reviews. And every review basically echos my sentiments, this game grabs you and doesn't let go." <-

http://www.amazon.fr/Sony-Until-Dawn/dp/B00NTW0YZC (5 star, 24 reviews)

http://www.amazon.de/Until-Dawn-Standard-Edition-PlayStation/dp/B00MPE35GU (5 star, 55 reviews)

http://www.amazon.es/Sony-CEE-Games-New-Gen/dp/B00WKCIDFK (4.5 stars, 9 reviews)

SubiyaCryolite said:
Samus Aran said:

I clearly acknowledge that in my post. Yet all non Japanese (non censored) user reviews are just as good as the UKs. My POINT was that players are very satisfied with what they get and the game has good word of mouth. Reviews, and the sheer number of reviews, reflects that. I didnt care about this game 2 months ago but now I wouldnt hesistate to recommend it to anyone I know who has a PS4.

"To drive my previous post further Ill reference user reviews from Amazon UK. Yes these reviews are all subjective but the game has a 4.5/5 rating with 99 reviews. And every review basically echos my sentiments, this game grabs you and doesn't let go." <-

http://www.amazon.fr/Sony-Until-Dawn/dp/B00NTW0YZC (5 star, 24 reviews)

http://www.amazon.de/Until-Dawn-Standard-Edition-PlayStation/dp/B00MPE35GU (5 star, 55 reviews)

http://www.amazon.es/Sony-CEE-Games-New-Gen/dp/B00WKCIDFK (4.5 stars, 9 reviews)

I think your own experience with the game is more important than userscores on certain sites. Your experience with the game can stand on its own merit. Like I said, I never said you were wrong for calling the game great.