By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Until Dawn Review Thread - Meta: 80

Kowan said:
Samus Aran said:
How does such a niche game get 86 reviews on metacritic? That's more than Super Mario 3D World, Majora's Mask 3D and Mario Kart 8 lol.

Something's wrong with today's gaming journalism. Or metacritic's criteria.

Maybe because of the apparent fact that people got more aware of the game after many positive reviews came out and great word of mouth or Sony merely promoted it a lot. 

Anyway, what is so wrong with this game getting a lot of reviews? Or more importantly, why are you always complaining about things not nintendo related. lol.

Makes no sense as the games I mentioned all had much better reviews.

I'm not complaining either, I'm asking a question. This game did not get more promoted than Mario or Zelda.

Around the Network

here is hoping it sticks at 80 this time.

80!!!!!!

Finally

Edit: sooo... any info about the sales?

Samus Aran said:
Kowan said:
Samus Aran said:
How does such a niche game get 86 reviews on metacritic? That's more than Super Mario 3D World, Majora's Mask 3D and Mario Kart 8 lol.

Maybe because of the apparent fact that people got more aware of the game after many positive reviews came out and great word of mouth or Sony merely promoted it a lot. 

Anyway, what is so wrong with this game getting a lot of reviews? Or more importantly, why are you always complaining about things not nintendo related. lol.

I'm not complaining either, I'm asking a question. This game did not get more promoted than Mario or Zelda.

Does it matter? This game actually offers something unique and different compared to other rehashed games.Maybe the reviewers were just excited to finally play something fresh.

Abun said:
Samus Aran said:
Kowan said:
Samus Aran said:

Does it matter? This game actually offers something unique and different compared to other rehashed games.Maybe the reviewers were just excited to finally play something fresh.

This game isn't unique or different. It has a B-rated horror movie plot.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Abun said:
Samus Aran said:
Kowan said:
Samus Aran said:

Actually it doesn't.You would know that if you played it like I am doing.The b movie thing was just a small concept as far as the plot goes.More of a smoke screen.I think it is better if you don't speak on games that you have not played.The game is different from every other game out,which is fact.

Samus Aran said:
Abun said:
Samus Aran said:
Kowan said:
Samus Aran said:

Play it before you judge it. It was made to have a b-horror movie plot. That's the whole point of the game, to play with that concept. But the unique thing about Until dawn is how it make you control that concept and how characters will change depending on your choices. Do you want this character to follow the archetype seemingly set upon by the story so far or do you want to change that? And you can do so if you want. This game got more reviews because it's new, it was unexpected and it grabbed people's attention. Don't be so bitter just because your faves didn't get the same attention or in an even more shallow reason, didn't get more reviews, when the fact is those games you mentioned don't need so many reviews to prove that they are good games. People already know them, they're already established games but people are still new to Until Dawn. It's a new game, a new IP so obviously it will get more attention specially if it's a good one.

Kowan said:

Play it before you judge it. It was made to have a b-horror movie plot. That's the whole point of the game, to play with that concept. But the unique thing about Until dawn is how it make you control that concept and how characters will change depending on your choices. Do you want this character to follow the archetype seemingly set upon by the story so far or do you want to change that? And you can do so if you want. This game got more reviews because it's new, it was unexpected and it grabbed people's attention. Don't be so bitter just because your faves didn't get the same attention or in an even more shallow reason, didn't get more reviews, when the fact is those games you mentioned don't need so many reviews to prove that they are good games. People already know them, they're already established games but people are still new to Until Dawn. It's a new game, a new IP so obviously it will get more attention specially if it's a good one.

All of those things have been done countless times before. I'm not surprised some people try to spin this as being innovative though. We even had a thread here about how holding your controller still during a game as being the most innovative thing this generation.

I'm not bitter, merely asking a question. Stop being so defensive all the time.

Popular games usually get more reviews . To say they don't need reviews makes no sense.

Samus Aran said:
Kowan said:

All of those things have been done countless times before. I'm not surprised some people try to spin this as being innovative though. We even had a thread here about how holding your controller still during a game as being the most innovative thing this generation.

Popular games usually get more reviews . To say they don't need reviews makes no sense.

So why is Until Dawn not deserving of getting more reviews when it is indeed a popular game? You complaining about this game getting more reviews than your favorite games is being bitter. And did I say that they do not need reviews? I said that they don't need that many reviews. It's already been established that they are great games, they're not games unfamiliar to people but Until Dawn IS so people will want to try them out. People tend to be more curious about new things, is it really that hard to get that?

Kowan said:
Samus Aran said:
Kowan said:

So why is Until Dawn not deserving of getting more reviews when it is indeed a popular game? You complaining about this game getting more reviews than your favorite games is being bitter. And did I say that they do not need reviews? I said that they don't need that many reviews. It's already been established that they are great games, they're not games unfamiliar to people but Until Dawn IS so people will want to try them out. People tend to be more curious about an entirely new game than a sequel.

Popular games get more reviews on metacritic, that's a fact. GoW: A has more reviews than Until Dawn for example.

Just because a franchise was great in the past doesn't mean current games will be great as well, just look at Sonic. Every new game needs reviews, even if it belongs to a respected franchise.

I'm not complaining, nor bitter, just asking why a game that won't set any sales charts on fire is getting so many reviews.

"People tend to be more curious about an entirely new game than a sequel". Yeah, no.

Also this game already has more reviews than Splatoon which is:

- A new IP

- More innovative and fresh than Until Dawn

- More popular

- Will sell better

Merely asking why it gets so many reviews. Yet to hear a convincing reason.