By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Until Dawn Review Thread - Meta: 80

Samus Aran said:

I'm not complaining, nor bitter, just asking why a game that won't set any sales charts on fire is getting so many reviews.

"People tend to be more curious about an entirely new game than a sequel". Yeah, no.

Also this game already has more reviews than Splatoon which is:

- A new IP

- More innovative and fresh than Until Dawn

- More popular

- Will sell better

Merely asking why it gets so many reviews. Yet to hear a convincing reason.

Think this comment sums your problem up nicely. You consider Splatoon to be a far superior game,  and you are annoyed to see Until Dawn have more reviews and a metascore of just one less.

Have you provided a convincing reason as to why the amount of reviews for Until Dawn matters yet? Are you trying to suggest something?

Around the Network

Regardless of its meta I must say that I've thoroughly enjoyed this game. I think Ill remember for years to come, its that unique, its that good! Just like Alien Isolation (79) don't put too much stock into metacritic, depending on your tastes a game rated 80 can be far more enjoyable than one rated 90+. I've always said that games are about the experience, how THEY make YOU feel. Its not graphics, resolution, fps or even gameplay (necessarily), but how a game grabs you which matters imo. For what this game sets out to achieve its experience is simply unrivaled. As far as Im concerned its a classic.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

celador said:

Think this comment sums your problem up nicely. You consider Splatoon to be a far superior game,  and you are annoyed to see Until Dawn have more reviews and a metascore of just one less.

Have you provided a convincing reason as to why the amount of reviews for Until Dawn matters yet? Are you trying to suggest something?

Conspiracies aside, I think the game is getting so much buzz and reviews because its resonates with so many people. Its been called cult classic in some circles and I totally agree. Go to any forum that discusses the game and see all the positivity, look at all the reviews, all the lests plays, all the clips. This game is very uniqe and VERY inaging. Almost anyone can play it, almost anyone (hardcore gaming elitists aside) can enjoy it. It helps that its on PlayStation as I think PS gamers are far more willing to expirement with, and thus appreciate, this kind of game. This is like that indie film that beats everyones expectations at press screenings and then gets insane buzz and word of mouth because of its sheer novelty, so much so that it gets a wider release and more recognition.

celador said:
Samus Aran said:

I'm not complaining, nor bitter, just asking why a game that won't set any sales charts on fire is getting so many reviews.

"People tend to be more curious about an entirely new game than a sequel". Yeah, no.

- A new IP

- More popular

- Will sell better

It doesn't matter, I'm merely curious why a game like this is getting so many reviews.

I haven't played Until Dawn (and I have no desire to play a game that uses jump scares to scare people, that's incredibly low imo), and I never once used quality in any of my arguments. Let's keep this objective and stop being so defensive.

As for metascore of Splatoon, the game released with one third of the content it has now (all free dlc) and it still outscored Until Dawn. You really want to go down this route? I never once mentioned the metascore of this or other games, merely the quantity of reviews.

A metascore of 80% isn't even good btw, even Disney Infinity 3.0 has 85% on metacritic. Must mean it's much better than Until Dawn, right? ;)

Again, what's up with being so defensive all the time? You see it in countless of Sony related threads (just look at the titel of the official PS thread here lol). I'm basically asking the same thing dernebel asked, why does this game get so many reviews compared to other games?

This has double the reviews of MGSV!

Samus Aran said:
Kowan said:
Samus Aran said:
Kowan said:

Play it before you judge it. It was made to have a b-horror movie plot. That's the whole point of the game, to play with that concept. But the unique thing about Until dawn is how it make you control that concept and how characters will change depending on your choices. Do you want this character to follow the archetype seemingly set upon by the story so far or do you want to change that? And you can do so if you want. This game got more reviews because it's new, it was unexpected and it grabbed people's attention. Don't be so bitter just because your faves didn't get the same attention or in an even more shallow reason, didn't get more reviews, when the fact is those games you mentioned don't need so many reviews to prove that they are good games. People already know them, they're already established games but people are still new to Until Dawn. It's a new game, a new IP so obviously it will get more attention specially if it's a good one.

All of those things have been done countless times before. I'm not surprised some people try to spin this as being innovative though. We even had a thread here about how holding your controller still during a game as being the most innovative thing this generation.

I'm not bitter, merely asking a question. Stop being so defensive all the time.

Popular games usually get more reviews . To say they don't need reviews makes no sense.

So why is Until Dawn not deserving of getting more reviews when it is indeed a popular game? You complaining about this game getting more reviews than your favorite games is being bitter. And did I say that they do not need reviews? I said that they don't need that many reviews. It's already been established that they are great games, they're not games unfamiliar to people but Until Dawn IS so people will want to try them out. People tend to be more curious about an entirely new game than a sequel.

Popular games get more reviews on metacritic, that's a fact. GoW: A has more reviews than Until Dawn for example.

Just because a franchise was great in the past doesn't mean current games will be great as well, just look at Sonic. Every new game needs reviews, even if it belongs to a respected franchise.

- A new IP

- More popular

- Will sell better

Fact is nothing will convince you. If it's not a Nintendo game, it will most likely won't. 

The fact that you keep on comparing UD to a Nintendo game that you like just proves how bitter you are.

Around the Network
Kowan said:

Fact is nothing will convince you. If it's not a Nintendo game, it will most likely won't. 

The fact that you keep on comparing UD to a Nintendo game that you like just proves how bitter you are.

Might want to look at the last line of the post above you, lol.

And no, I'm not bitter. In fact, it's against the rules to call people that. Luckily enough for you I'm not bitter enough to report you. :D

Samus Aran said:
Kowan said:

Might want to look at the last line of the post above you, lol.

And no, I'm not bitter. In fact, it's against the rules to call people that. Luckily enough for you I'm not bitter enough to report you. :D

Replied before that. And you can report me all you want, I don't care as I didn't do anything worth reporting or bad anyway. I could do the same to you, you know. :D

To drive my previous post further Ill reference user reviews from Amazon UK. Yes these reviews are all subjective but the game has a 4.5/5 rating with 99 reviews. And every review basically echos my sentiments, this game grabs you and doesn't let go. That explains all the reviews and positive vibes in my opinion. Everything about this game just clicks, its hard to describe to those who haven't played it or watched it first hand, but once you do its as clear as day.

5 - Unforgettable.
5 - BEST GAME IN THE WORLD
5 - Amazing!
5 - Brilliant!
5 - Greatest horror to date!
5 - Sony's slasher is a horror fans dream
5 - One of the best experiences on the PS4! (word)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UV7IQGC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

SubiyaCryolite said:
To drive my previous post further Ill reference user reviews from Amazon UK. Yes these reviews are all subjective but the game has a 4.5/5 rating with 99 reviews. And every review basically echos my sentiments, this game grabs you and doesn't let go. That explains all the reviews and positive vibes in my opinion. Everything about this game just clicks, its hard to describe to those who haven't played it or watched it first hand, but once you do its as clear as day.

5 - Unforgettable.
5 - BEST GAME IN THE WORLD
5 - Amazing!
5 - Brilliant!
5 - Greatest horror to date!
5 - Sony's slasher is a horror fans dream
5 - One of the best experiences on the PS4! (word)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UV7IQGC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Now use the userscores of Amazon of Japan.

Samus Aran said:
celador said:
Samus Aran said:

- A new IP

- More popular

- Will sell better

It doesn't matter, I'm merely curious why a game like this is getting so many reviews.

I haven't played Until Dawn (and I have no desire to play a game that uses jump scares to scare people, that's incredibly low imo), and I never once used quality in any of my arguments. Let's keep this objective and stop being so defensive.

As for metascore of Splatoon, the game released with one third of the content it has now (all free dlc) and it still outscored Until Dawn. You really want to go down this route? I never once mentioned the metascore of this or other games, merely the quantity of reviews.

A metascore of 80% isn't even good btw, even Disney Infinity 3.0 has 85% on metacritic. Must mean it's much better than Until Dawn, right? ;)

Again, what's up with being so defensive all the time? You see it in countless of Sony related threads (just look at the titel of the official PS thread here lol). I'm basically asking the same thing dernebel asked, why does this game get so many reviews compared to other games?

This has double the reviews of MGSV!

80 isn't a good score now. Ok.

Calling me defensive again and again won't change the fact that the only person with an issue here is you. I will leave you to it.