By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Files Patent For a Console Without the Optical Disk (But has a Card Slot)

If this is NX would you buy?

Yes 142 44.65%

No 95 29.87%

Maybe 53 16.67%

See Results 28 8.81%

Total:318
Tamron said:

And the most unprepared for a network based system, too.

Going to be a shambles I'm calling it right now.

Or or or OR it'll be fucking revolutionary like I called months ago. Nintendo have clearly been taking steps to prepare for such a network-based system. I knew from the moment they bought DeNA that there was some serious shit going down outside of mobile. Like I've said before, that membership program is way bigger than anyone is giving it credit to be. It will literally make or break the NX. And I think it'll make it.

Around the Network

Not going to buy a digital only console rofl, no fucking chance.

Really hope this just sone QOL bs.

AZWification said:

I fail to see why would Nintendo ever think that a digital only console would be good idea!

*Looks at Apple.*

Very risky more if it is only digital but maybe they will release games on sd cards. I will only go digital though :).

Wyrdness said:

Read the patent on GAF it describes a game being read off the card.

Tamron said:
The basic program slot is for sabegame encryption, note how it only says game program on the HDD and not the memory card slot, that rules out carts entirely.
Digital console folks.

Around the Network

Oh good now they won't have an excuse to keep their games full price after 5+ year old games

Ka-pi96 said:

Not a good comparison. Iphones and the like are sold way above what it costs to make them, there's profit to be had there. So either Nintendo are going to have to price it high enough for retailers to actually make decent profit on it or retailers are going to have to think real long and hard about whether it's worth their shelf space.

...And the like? Not so at all. Not every smart phone out there is $600. Still, I think that Nintendo does have a shelf space solution. Amiibo. To be more specific, NFC based game download cards. Moms everywhere will rejoice.

Lyrikalstylez said:
Oh good now they won't have an excuse to keep their games full price after 5+ year old games

If you think that's going to change, you're in for a rude awakening.

What if they use redbox style kiosks at retailers where you can put your SD in and download games?

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

spemanig said:

Steam has 65m+ users "around the world" and its digital only.

Just a tiny correction: Steam had 65m+ users "around the world" in October 2013.

They had an impressive growth rate since then: 75m+ in January 2014, 100m+ users in September 2014, 125m+ users in February 2015, probably 150m+ users today. And these are all active accounts, Valve doesn't track "dead accounts" where you activated a game years before and never played it again.

Apple's "Game Center" (which ain't automatically activated for iOS-users who don't play games) also had an enormous groth rate: 65m+ users in September 2011, 130m+ users in June 2012, 240m+ in June 2013, probably 400m+ users now.

http://www.asymco.com/2012/08/07/measuring-ios-as-a-gaming-platform/ , http://www.asymco.com/2013/08/05/itunes-update/