By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Files Patent For a Console Without the Optical Disk (But has a Card Slot)

If this is NX would you buy?

Yes 142 44.65%

No 95 29.87%

Maybe 53 16.67%

See Results 28 8.81%

Total:318
jason1637 said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
What are transfer rates like these days, are cards fast enough?

Someone replied to me saying PS4 has like 27m and SD has a max of about 60m or something like that while SD can hold 64gb and PS4 50gb

Also most Nintendo Games for the Wii U are under 16GB.

wii U game sizes : http://www.destructoid.com/the-destructoid-wii-u-game-file-size-guide-291062.phtml

Cost =

http://www.made-in-china.com/products-search/hot-china-products/SD_Card.html

Basically if you order by volume of  atleast 100's you can get a unit price around 3.9$ for a 16 GB SD Card.

I think Nintendo could get even lower prices, and in the future these are going to become even cheaper. 

Around the Network

First.. this patant does (imo) sound like a new model WiiU.. (like the cheaper Wii) that offcourse do not mean that "NX" can't use the same.. "no disk drive"

But why are so many in this tread talking about the price..

When Nintendo makes a homeconsole whitout drive.. that can only mean one thing.. only one..

buy digitaly.. or go to the store and download the game.. then go home and instal on the HD.. that means that people either have there own SD with them.. or buy a cheap one.. that easy.. :)

I think the thing that should be focused on here is the ridiculous patent system that allows patenting stuff like that. A console with no optical drive and possibly a card slot instead is not an innovation.

Also, I don't care what they use, as long as it works and I own the games I buy. That's in practice of course, because in theory I don't own the games I buy even now (licences and all).

No Nintendo hadheld has ever had an optical disc

Could be okay for a bare-bone, super low-cost console at let's say 150$. The WiiU will remain in the market as the disc based option as Reggie has promised us.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
jason1637 said:

Someone replied to me saying PS4 has like 27m and SD has a max of about 60m or something like that while SD can hold 64gb and PS4 50gb

Basically if you order by volume of  atleast 100's you can get a unit price around 3.9$ for a 16 GB SD Card.

I think Nintendo could get even lower prices, and in the future these are going to become even cheaper. 

And if you order blu-ray discs by volume of at least 10000's (distribution of smaller volumes to retail doesn't make much sense) you can get a unit price around $0.75 for a 25 GB Blu-ray disc (multicolored printing included): http://www.quickturnduplication.com/html/blu-ray-duplication-prices.php

Conina said:
JRPGfan said:
jason1637 said:

And if you order blu-ray discs by volume of at least 10000's (distribution of smaller volumes to retail doesn't make much sense) you can get a unit price around $0.75 for a 25 GB Blu-ray disc (multicolored printing included): http://www.quickturnduplication.com/html/blu-ray-duplication-prices.php

They can offset that issue by just selling every physical game for a few more $ though.

The benefit of haveing potentially a handheld + home console, both able to play the same games, could be pretty big.

You know nintendos next handheld is going to be successfull and have plenty of games, that ll mean the same will be true for the home console version.

No more game droughts.

I fail to see why would Nintendo ever think that a digital only console would be good idea!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

JRPGfan said:
Conina said:

They can offset that issue by just selling every physical game for a few more $ though.

Hurray for more expensive Nintendo games, the fans will love that!

And a great way to repair the relationship to third parties. Will multi-platform retail games cost "just a few more $" on NX than on PS4 + XBO? Or will the third parties price them the same and have less profit on the NX-version?

hm, I agree with most people, going all-digital is kind of too futuristic

being able to buy the game in physical form is much cooler

they can always release the games in card form, which I hope is the case, bit more expensive though as JRPGfan mentions

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^