By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Files Patent For a Console Without the Optical Disk (But has a Card Slot)

If this is NX would you buy?

Yes 142 44.65%

No 95 29.87%

Maybe 53 16.67%

See Results 28 8.81%

Total:318
Tamron said:
The basic program slot is for sabegame encryption, note how it only says game program on the HDD and not the memory card slot, that rules out carts entirely.
Digital console folks.

@Bold This especially ...

Well that pretty much kills it's chance of succeeding in other regions like South America, Africa, Middle East, and some parts of Asia ...

Around the Network

How very very bizarre. Can't see why Nintendo would want to go back to cartridges though, seems like a step backwards.

No way will there be anything "digital only" in the next few years, particularly from Nintendo. They rely on a lot of passing trade and you just don't get that with discs, and I can't see it going down well at all.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Digital only will happen anyway, you really think you'll be buying games on discs 10 years from now? Your kids will laugh at you when you tell them you used to have to drive to the store to buy a game on a plate sized shiny disc just for a single game.

Hmm Ninty be weird.

Tagging this! Wow I'm expected a lot of good reading in this thread. Seems like Rol might have been (partially) right

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

I have already gone digital so i'm good.

For those, who didn't...
Nintendo could easily sell a card or some token (even amibo-like) which acts as the physical marker for a purchased game. It can be transfered from person and their account upon trade. Retailers would be happy and collectors have something to trade back or hang on their walls.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

If the console is digital-only I'm interesting in seeing why retailers, like Walmart and Target, would even stock the NX since they mostly make their money off the games and accessories and Nintendo would essentially be cutting them out.

TheGoldenBoy said:
If the console is digital-only I'm interesting in seeing why retailers, like Walmart and Target, would even stock the NX since they mostly make their money off the games and accessories and Nintendo would essentially be cutting them out.

Selling a physical marker for a store purchased game would solve that (and complaints of fans).

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Luke888 said:
I smell a Handheld :v

The patent is talking about a "stationary game apparatus" so it should be a console.

OT: I'll repeat my stance from the discless X1 thread: Digital only? No thanks.

No big surprise here. Hopefully Nintendo uses the money they save from having no optical drive and use it to increase the system power to be close to PS4. Since the rumors from before said it wouldn't be as powerful as PS4, I wouldn't bet on it though.