By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Files Patent For a Console Without the Optical Disk (But has a Card Slot)

If this is NX would you buy?

Yes 142 44.65%

No 95 29.87%

Maybe 53 16.67%

See Results 28 8.81%

Total:318
spemanig said:
zorg1000 said:

Also some of u are getting too hung up on AAA western 3rd party titles which is something that has never really been a big mover of Nintendo hardware. The primary support will likely be Nintendo published titles, Japanese 3rd parties, indies, family friendly western titles.

The majority of games will probably be 32gb or under.

Too hung up? You suriously think Nintendo would intentionally shaft 3rd parties that harshly and that directly just because they haven't been "big movers?" Because I don't.

Which Nintendo device has significantly superior 3rd party support? The one that uses game carts, there goes ur shafting 3rd party theory.

Not only have western AAA never been big movers but they have been borderline irrelevant for Nintendo. GameCube & Wii U had much better multiplat support than Wii from the big western publishers yet they are still Nintendo's 2 worst selling consoles by a wide margin. The last time u could argue AAA western titles having an impact on Nintendo was during the N64 days which ironically used cartridges.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Wonder what this will be, if it will ever be used..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

spemanig said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Wrong. Steam isn't digital only. I originally created my steam account to register some games I bought physically. That's still possible today, you can buy PC games physically and register them with Steam. Sure not many do, but it is still an option.

Oh and besides that, registering for Steam is free. Will Nintendo release the NX free? If not then it's not a great comparison.

It may as well be digital only. The only reason its relevant is because of digital.

A PC isn't free. The Nintendo membership program, which will work like Steam in that its what you will connect through to buy games from the eshop, will be free, so it's a perfect comparison.

You have a point. At first i would have been against digital only, but after reading this thread and you and others points it wouldnt be so bad.

There is a rumour that Nintendo's next console will come in two different forms: One will have the optical disc drive, and the other will be digital only.
The digital only version will be the cheaper option due to the fact it has less going on under the hood.

I find it interesting that a patent is filed for a Wii U revision without an optical drive but with an internal hard drive in its place and everyone thinks it's NX. I do think this Wii U Lite seems cool though.

Around the Network

So it seems that NX is a console after all since http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=212998&page=2#4 are going to produce cards for this year and this patent shows cards used in a home console.

As I said before, NX will be a cloud machine

So it won't need something like catridge/disc game

mcnol012 said:
As I said before, NX will be a cloud machine

So it won't need something like catridge/disc game

I think you're right, this patent does not speak of a console , the device is a server , I think Nintendo will launch in community cloud with cloud mining system

but you're wrong , Nintendo can not make 100% online , they have too much to lose, amiibos goodies ... a cartridge / license where the game would remain after download is a better solution