By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumour: Xbox One mini to launch in October. To drop the blu-ray drive?

Went diskless for ages on all my media... So give it to me babe... And even if some stone age relative gifts me a DVD or a BR my cable box has a BR drive...

Around the Network
AEGRO said:
Xbox Half

Well the rumour would suggest it's 1/3.... one third.... I definately can't imagine that being corrupted at all (maybe it's just my Irish pronounciation of Third heh)

Still tho, a digital only console wouldn't upset me too much if the price/size were right, the pspgo is one of my fav systems followed by the Vita which I use 99% digital content only on.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

i believe it, a lot of MS moves proved in the past they think digital first

celador said:
Not sure how many people would want to lock themselves into digital only.

I know!  That's why so many people still buy tape cassettes, CD's, and VHS tapes.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Wait, the Xbox One has a bluray player? I thought it reads VHS.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Around the Network

Considering how we have heard this rumor for 4 years now - first about the Xbox 360, and now about the Xbox One I don't think it is happening, yet.

I think it's a great idea, and all digital download will be the way to go - for most consumers. Especially if they can lower the price, but I think if they were going to do this, it would have been shown at E3. They would want to show it off to the stores that would buy it and create some consumer buzz.

With a die shrink, plus dropping the Blu-ray (Which is about half the Xbox One) they could make much smaller box. Maybe something for next year's E3.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Digital-only is gross.

Lol at people bringing up PSPGO. PSPGo was more expensive than the regular psp and a lot of its titles weren't available online. If they can make the blu ray less xbox one at a cheaper price, this will help out people who want to go next gen or someone who already owns a next gen system, but want it for the exclusives.

Zappykins said:
celador said:

I know!  That's why so many people still buy tape cassettes, CD's, and VHS tapes.

Quite the difference between music and movies, which are either comparatively small or often streamed or games that are now regularly above 30GB in size, especially with the US and their apparently still commonly used bandwidth caps. For me personally it's way faster to just pop in the city and buy a physical version of a game I want than downloading it, it might be different for new releases if I was the pre ordering type, but I'm not doing that, aside from maybe Persona 5 which I'll have to get from the US PS store most likely when it's out.

Zappykins said:
celador said:

If you have a point it is being lost on me. Tape cassettes a d VHS tapes are dead technologies, that were replaced with superior physical products.  And as for CDs, they are hardly a good comparison. Going digital for music is generally cheaper and there isn't the same second hand market/trade-in culture in music that there is for games.