By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumour: Xbox One mini to launch in October. To drop the blu-ray drive?

Teeqoz said:
fireburn95 said:

If they can direct the heat out efficently, smaller fans could work. Smaller fans + a better sound insulation material could work.

Smaller fans=higher RPM=More sound.

This console would also be 43% smaller than the PS4, or nearly half the size of the PS4. Combine that with quieter, and it looks rather unlikely to me.

Not to mention savings from dropping the disc drive would be miniscule mobeywise. MS pays max 10$ per blu-ray drive, so they wouldn't save much on this to begin with.

I've always said they'll do something to gradually push the always-online thing back albeit in a less excessive way. Before the reveal they had a lot of confidence, watching major nelsons interview with angry joe, he described a connected-console as always online. Behind the words, we all obviously knew the whole connected console and drm thing was really to reduce used games market.

Either that, or the higher ups at MS are giving any excuse to spin off xbox, and sales numbers vs their direct competitor is fuel for them. Even if they sacrifice software sales, they probably just wanna get as many xbox ones into peoples houses so they can remove all doubt. Even with BC, having BC will be less profitable than not having BC, because a lot of people will buy retail discs that are cheap, or used, and that's cutting into sales (even by a small fraction) of a semi-full priced current gen game where they are making a bigger cut. But BC should convince more 360'ers to buy an xb1. Personally, I think this is the real reason for all these actions.

Around the Network
Sharpryno said:
Have not put a disk in my XBO since I bought it. But I do use the HDMI In every day and I doubt they'd keep that too.
Physical is for people who like to showoff their collection (okay there are some that are simply proud and don't feel the need to tell the world) and for people who like to hurt devs by buying used games (even though some devs deserve it).

Or Physical is just for people who....you know.....just prefer physical.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

All you people so ready to jump on a discless console are weird to me, I'm far from ready to force myself into having to buy everything digitally. What if there's a sale for games at Amazon or whatever and you can't get the game you want for cheap because it's a physical disc? No, thanks to that.

If they release a bluray-less x1, it wont replace the disc based one. Let's not be naive here. IF they do a digital only, and that's a big if, it will be a secondary version for those who would like it.

I wanted to get a Xbox One slim version, but if it's digital only, i won't be getting an Xbox this gen.

Around the Network

I put this idea forward as a possible PS4 a while back. I still think it's a good idea because I now know lots of people who only buy digital. Note: this isn't an all or nothing comment.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
I put this idea forward as a possible PS4 a while back. I still think it's a good idea because I now know lots of people who only buy digital. Note: this isn't an all or nothing comment.

It kind of is.

To many skews turn off consumers. Makes them question which one they will purchase which results in the customer buying something else. It also makes more disgruntal customers who wish they got another version down the road. There is a reason the Kinect skew was competely removed, and isn't used as an "option".

Reminds me of the PSP Go. And that's exactly how much this will fail if it really happens.

If it's true, then i guess they're really grasping at anything that may possibly close the sales gap, that they said they don't worry about.

Protendo said:

It kind of is.

To many skews turn off consumers. Makes them question which one they will purchase which results in the customer buying something else. It also makes more disgruntal customers who wish they got another version down the road. There is a reason the Kinect skew was competely removed, and isn't used as an "option".

It kind of isn't.

When you say something like this you tend to get people going to the extremes. They'll say things like 'I don't want a console without a HDD'. This would be a separate SKU and by then there would only be two SKUs: PS41tb and PS4digital.

The PS5 Exists.