By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumour: Xbox One mini to launch in October. To drop the blu-ray drive?

I wouldnt mind Sony or MS cutting costs this way, as long as they allowed external USB DVD drives to work with it (and not just their "own" versions of them).

It could be a good way to cut costs/size&weight.

Around the Network

I think it will have a br drive but no br playback becuse the playback has a sum to pay so they want to cut costs like nintendo

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

I would be somewhat interested in this. Depends on price of course. XB1 is notoriously expensive in EU.

JRPGfan said:
I wouldnt mind Sony or MS cutting costs this way, as long as they allowed external USB DVD drives to work with it (and not just their "own" versions of them).

It could be a good way to cut costs/size&weight.

For Xbox one it is pretty easy can't comment on PS4. Scored a second hand 4 TB HD for 69 euro not so long ago feels so good....

Can't see it happen and it definitely wouldn't be only 1/3 of the size of the current model.

Around the Network

And all that talk about backwards compatibility will now be useless to this model.

DerNebel said:
asqarkabab said:
The rumour is true cool
Will it be cheaper than the bone ?
If so i will buy one

Should be cheaper, the only reason to really buy one of those imo.

But I'm sceptical, it does seem a little weird with their whole BC push currently to bring out a system that would essentially eliminate your ability to play your old 360 games on X1 again.

You would still be able to play 360 games on a disc less X1 since all the 360 will be added to the marketplace and those games don't read off the disc on the current X1 either since you have to download the game and put it on your HDD. 

V-r0cK said:
And all that talk about backwards compatibility will now be useless to this model.

Not really those games don't read off the disc they are downloaded from the marketplace and play off the HDD.  Having the disc just entitles you to download the game for free.  Its emulation not true backwards compatibility that is present in the Wii, Wii U and all PS3 and PS2 with PS1 games.

Chris Hu said:
DerNebel said:

Should be cheaper, the only reason to really buy one of those imo.

But I'm sceptical, it does seem a little weird with their whole BC push currently to bring out a system that would essentially eliminate your ability to play your old 360 games on X1 again.

You would still be able to play 360 games on a disc less X1 since all the 360 will be added to the marketplace and those games don't read off the disc on the current X1 either since you have to download the game and put it on your HDD. 

Right, but to download your 360 game onto your X1 you have to first insert the disc into the system. Taken from the official Xbox site:

"For disc-based games that are a part of the Back Compat game catalog, simply insert the disc and the console will begin downloading the game to your hard drive"

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility

Random_Matt said:
rolltide101x said:

Sony is simply better hardware designers. That is why they went with such a large design on the XBOne and left the power brick out. 

Really, PS4 sounds like a jet engine and runs hot, X1 is the complete opposite. Owned both and will go with whatever is quieter in the not long distant future.

There must be something wrong with your PS4 because mine barely makes any sound. My PS3 however sounds like a truck that has a jet engine LOL!

Kresnik said:
Well that would be a hilarious year for Xbox if true.

"We're bringing disc-based backwards compatibility to Xbox One!"

"And here's a new Xbox One model without a disc drive!"

Gee thanks.

Probably the best example on why the Xbox One Mini is very unlikely at this point in time. I won't say its not going to happen, a lot of things can happen but it would not benefit the Backward Compatibility strategy if they do the Mini now.