By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumour: Xbox One mini to launch in October. To drop the blu-ray drive?

Mistershine said:
DerNebel said:
All you people so ready to jump on a discless console are weird to me, I'm far from ready to force myself into having to buy everything digitally. What if there's a sale for games at Amazon or whatever and you can't get the game you want for cheap because it's a physical disc? No, thanks to that.

I already pay more for digital most of the time, for me the added cost is worth the convenience.

agreed. working full time means that time/convenience is a big a factor as price. for me though the play as you donwload feature would need to be on par with sony's system in order for me to consider digital "convenient" . need to check up on that.

also games go on sale on the online services as well. maybe not to the extend of amazon or many other retailers most of the time, but the age where games stays at 60 bucks online is starting to fade away.. recently i believe i only paid 50 bucks for a preorder of the witcher 3. not many physical places do that even

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
And all that talk about backwards compatibility will now be useless to this model.

Not really.

On Xbox One, 360 games are run through a re-compiler to make an XBO compatible version which you download and own based on your existing rights (digital or disc based)

Even if those games are not on the 360 store at the moment, doesn't matter. Every BC game will have a digital XBO version somewhere on Microsofts many servers. There's a reason why it's not going live until November...it's because the revised XBO UI is going to have a new digital game store with all XBO and 360 games (subject to publishers consent) ...and it will be growing by many hundreds the more games they release.

DerNebel said:
Chris Hu said:
DerNebel said:

Right, but to download your 360 game onto your X1 you have to first insert the disc into the system. Taken from the official Xbox site:

"For disc-based games that are a part of the Back Compat game catalog, simply insert the disc and the console will begin downloading the game to your hard drive"

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility

Yes right now they work the same way as X1 physical games you need the disc to dowload them and the disc in the drive to play them but I'm sure they will be added to the marketplace eventually.  Also a lot of those games will be titles that where digital only on the 360 also like Shadow Complex, and Super Meat Boy.

Yes of course they will be added to the marketplace but that doesn't change what I'm saying, say you own a physical disc of RDR on 360, then you won't be able to play that on this rumoured X1 unless you rebuy it on the X1 marketplace. There shouldn't be a problem with the digital only games.

hence why You should have gone digital only ages ago... I have a lot of 360 games digitally... RDR is one of them it was even free in GWG...

endimion said:
DerNebel said:

Yes of course they will be added to the marketplace but that doesn't change what I'm saying, say you own a physical disc of RDR on 360, then you won't be able to play that on this rumoured X1 unless you rebuy it on the X1 marketplace. There shouldn't be a problem with the digital only games.

hence why You should have gone digital only ages ago... I have a lot of 360 games digitally... RDR is one of them it was even free in GWG...

Lol, great except I wasn't talking about me, I personally don't care about BC, I'm keeping my PS3 anyway. I'm talking about the millions of 360 owners that still have collections of mostly physical 360 games that MS is trying to make jump over to the X1 with among others BC.

Also stop trying to make go digital only, I have no interest of doing that with gaming in the forseeable future.

Why people talk about amazon sales... In a digital world they can do sales on digital copies... Beside the second hand market and bragging rights for big libraries... There are zero arguments for physical support... And steam and PC gaming has proven that the second hand market can be turned irrelevant also... And most people never have a library big enough to brag about it...

So yeah pretty much zero arguments for physical beside external factors such as DL cap or slow connection.... But that's not an argument against, just a technical barrier for some...

with a fiber optic connection (to the box) and zero cap... I went digital since digital was possible...

and people on 360 who want to jump have a 360 they don't need BC unless they realm need the 50bucks they get for a 360 a Gamestop... So they can go mini also with the one.. Or if they want to have just one box they have the regular XBO.. Really no real substance against an XBO mini...

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:

It's relative what you and i find loud is different. Fact is PS4 reaches minimum 50 decibels on load, secondly tiny fans make way more noise and thirdly crammed space is not good for heat dispersal. X1 is miles quieter, owned both more than once.

Nah, I doubt it. You have a defective PS4 :p

This is Sony we are talking about after all, they ain't that good. ;)

I think this would be a briliant move to introduce a small, cheap, digital only Xbone next to the regular one. This wouldn't be supposed to replace the mainline fully equipped console, but instead would be a cheap offer to all those people who decided to go with PS4 as their main console and aren't inclined to pay another $400 for a second console just for MS exclusives. But lets assume MS manages to release the Slim for $199 (maybe $149 on BF?) - how many PS4 converts in NA would resist paying this little to be able to play Halo, Gears, etc.? And since it's supposed to be their second console, used pretty much for exclusives only, they won't care about the Bluray drive, they already have it in their PS4. Next step would be to allow people to buy and play digital X360 games and you've got a console that may even take off in Europe to some extent. I'd buy it.

To keep it short - they'd use the fact that they are behind to their advantage - in Poland we call such a move "to flee forward" :)

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
To keep it short - they'd use the fact that they are behind to their advantage - in Poland we call such a move "to flee forward" :)

If they were winning, they'd probably do this anyway (It's in their leaked slides from 2012) ...one day, perhaps 7-8 years time, we will bid fareware to physical media (the next physical medium is just portable hard drives), this is just conditioning the market towards that transition. While this year, it might account for 15-20% of their sales. In 4 years time it could be half...or the majority. Look at the PC market.

At the end of the day, people aren't protective of physical mediums, only something they can physically touch as opposed to being "in the cloud", it's not your CD collection, it's your IPOD (or cell phone) , it's not your photo album, it's your memory stick. It's not really your game collection, it's that 2TB HDD they're downloaded to...of course you can have all these backed up online via the cloud or via your DRM, but you'd rather have it nestled under your pillow, where it's secret. Where its safe.

They realy should have done this with the 360 2 years ago. $130 500GB 360 at the size of a large router with game sharing would have done wonders.

If it's a huge price difference I would probably pick one up.

endimion said:

Why people talk about amazon sales... In a digital world they can do sales on digital copies... Beside the second hand market and bragging rights for big libraries... There are zero arguments for physical support... And steam and PC gaming has proven that the second hand market can be turned irrelevant also... And most people never have a library big enough to brag about it...

So yeah pretty much zero arguments for physical beside external factors such as DL cap or slow connection.... But that's not an argument against, just a technical barrier for some...

with a fiber optic connection (to the box) and zero cap... I went digital since digital was possible...

and people on 360 who want to jump have a 360 they don't need BC unless they realm need the 50bucks they get for a 360 a Gamestop... So they can go mini also with the one.. Or if they want to have just one box they have the regular XBO.. Really no real substance against an XBO mini...

The talk about amazon sales is that it's another option you have for buying your games, really not that hard to grasp, more purchasing options = better. I can still buy a game digitally if I think it's worth it, say it's for example cheaper than a physical disc, but I much rather also have all other purchasing options at my disposal. So if I wanna buy a game at sale at my local game store, I can. If I wanna buy one used, I can. If I wanna buy one during a digital sale, you guessed it, I can.

How a slow connection is in your eyes not an argument against going all digital is beyond me. You do realize that an internet connection costs money, right? And that a better connection is more expensive? And that depending on where you live it might not even be possible to get a good connection? Not wanting to fork out that extra money or not being allowed to basically in some cases, is definitely an argument against it.

And the point about the BC is that MS themselves thinks that it will help sell consoles this year, that this will make people upgrade, it does thus seem likely that they are also going to advertise that feature. To then also throw a discless cheaper X1 on the market would only serve to confuse especially the more casual consumers who will think that they will be able to play their old 360 games on the new X1 and who will likely, as is consumer nature, want to go with the cheapest version, which could lead to a lot of disappointment and backlash.

Also you're sounding very Mattrickian/Orthian right now.