By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can Microsoft win this generation?

Can people stop asking questions with clear answers? No people can't, people want to, but they can't.

Same scenario with Microsoft, they want to, but it isn't ever going to happen, and to think otherwise is quite foolish.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
I think if microsoft manages to snag a top of the line PS3 final fantasy title the tides may change over in japan in favor of the cheaper Xbox 360. Also, since its already near wii's price in both north america, and OTHERS, the 360 just needs more of those exclsuive top of the line games to really bounce back to first place.
The 360 was never in first place, it was released earlier, if you compare first year data of the 3 you'd find the Wii in first, followed by the PS3, followed very closely by the 360. It's in last, it will always be last, why can't we end these pointless discussions?

leo-j said:
grimygunz said:
@ leo-j at this point games cant save the 360 in japan. its already dead there. ITs cheap and nobody still buys it. considering that the 360 already has great games is not the margin where it will need to improve. the damage was done with the RRoD crysis all over the world. If there was no RRod 360 sales in Europe atleast would not have slowed down so dramatically.

Its just very confusing, the japanese market completely rejects the Xbox 360, Id like to know why this is true?

If you look into it, you'd find the 360's "awesome, mind combawbiling, magnificent" library does not exist in Japan, and that my friend is why it is a failure there.

dsoverpsp said:
can't win - but has a highly likelihood of getting 2nd. I mean, everybody keeps assuming the PS3 will catch up BUT IT HASN'T. I'm not saying it won't but until then, it's 2nd.
The PS3 caught up a long time ago bro, everyone seems to forget the year head start the 360 had, which was a extremely pathetic year considering it had 0 competition in the next gen market. Observe.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php

Now, you'll see that the green line (X360) extends farther than the red (PS3) and blue (Wii) this is because the 360 was released one year earlier. You will also observe that the red (PS3) line has gone above the green (X360) at the same time index, this is because the PS3 has "caught up" and surpassed the 360. If you were able to freeze 360 data and let the PS3 continue through it's second year you'd find it would continue to stay above the green (X360) line.

Username2324 said:
dsoverpsp said:
can't win - but has a highly likelihood of getting 2nd. I mean, everybody keeps assuming the PS3 will catch up BUT IT HASN'T. I'm not saying it won't but until then, it's 2nd.
The PS3 caught up a long time ago bro, everyone seems to forget the year head start the 360 had, which was a extremely pathetic year considering it had 0 competition in the next gen market. Observe.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php

Now, you'll see that the green line (X360) extends farther than the red (PS3) and blue (Wii) this is because the 360 was released one year earlier. You will also observe that the red (PS3) line has gone above the green (X360) at the same time index, this is because the PS3 has "caught up" and surpassed the 360. If you were able to freeze 360 data and let the PS3 continue through it's second year you'd find it would continue to stay above the green (X360) line.

Well said.  I have no bias but really wish people would accept what's there in black and white.  360 is not a failure but it simply didn't translate a head start into anything meaningfull.  Wii blew it away while PS3 matched it (time adjusted) with more competition and higher price.

The only real success 360 has is two things IMHO:

a) it has performed better than Xbox - otherwise I guess MS would have had to seriously consider dropping out of the game

b) it has sewn up a good position in US with FPS/hardcore gamers that will likely translate forward as loyalty

WW its going to be at best second well behind Wii or more likely third when all is said and done IMO.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

okay, wtf dude? quit making the most pointless threads on the site.

Answer: not gonna happen

think before you type.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Magnific0 said:

What's exactly winning?

Making a lot of profit over investment compared to the competition?

Winning more market share compared to the gain of competitors in this generation?

I'd say YES to both questions above.

Can Microsoft really win on any of those?

The answer is between not likely and No.

You think Microsoft gaming division, who also counts Zunes profits, but doesn't count last years 1 billion dollar loss to the RRoD, is gonna be more profitable than Nintendo?

You realize that MS "Profit" last year was due to Halo 3's vast success and it being a "first party" game, right?

Now come on, do you actually believe that MS will make more profit this year, with HD-DVD 's death, and the price drops, than Nintendo will, with the DS and the Wii, per investment dollar in its gaming division?

Cold day in hell, I'd say. Nintendo always makes a profit, and when times are good, they pretty much rake it in.

As far as "winning more market share" are you kidding?

The 360 vs the original Xbox, compared to the Wii verses the Gamecube?

No, my friend, the Xbox is not the top dog in either of the categories you've outlined. You should have known that.

I think he was saying yes to those questions being what defined as wining.

He then says this to finsh The answer is between not likely and No.

My websites

http://catprog.org

Online games that I play:

http://www.animecubed.com/billy/?Catprog

360 is stuck in the middle.

it is a graphics intensive machine that doesnt have the hardware guys behind it. sony might be able to actually get the ps3 to a lower price than 360 in the long run. the rrod hurt them a lot. and brand name/developer legacy/ip's give sony a giant leg up.

it cant compete with the wii because its aimed solely at mass market, while 360 can barely touch that.

wii wins if ninty keeps up mainstream gaming, ps3 wins if it can capitalize on its mid core/hardcore gamers. 360 will at best be second, but even thats a big question at this point.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

IMHO The 360 wont lead in sales because of one thing

They dont know how to attract japanese, if they did then they could have sold a good 4-5 million by now even with the orginal xbox but the damage is done. Even the gc had sold good a good amount in all key markets and they made a profit with less worldwide sales. Also the ps3 sold more in japan and it reached 10 million faster then the 360 despite being pricier and not having any games at launch. also one thing that could have helped them alot is using the hddvd format instead of using the puny dvds which is why MGS4 will never go the 360 imo.