By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can Microsoft win this generation?

can't win - but has a highly likelihood of getting 2nd. I mean, everybody keeps assuming the PS3 will catch up BUT IT HASN'T. I'm not saying it won't but until then, it's 2nd.

Around the Network
leo-j said:

As the topic question states, is there a possibilty microsoft can make a comeback with tis top console the Xbox 360 and win this generation?

What are the factors needed for them to pass both the wii and PS3 in world wide sales? I believe they have the games, and the price is great. What else is needed for them to have a chance at winning?

A miracle or two?

Quote --->  about X360, MS made a BIG anti-piracy system, it is called 3RLs, or RRoD. I know a bunch of ppl afraid to open a X360 and void warrant because they will need it... 

Looking at the hot topics section, I thought I was at a Naruto forum.

leo-j said:
I think if microsoft manages to snag a top of the line PS3 final fantasy title the tides may change over in japan in favor of the cheaper Xbox 360. Also, since its already near wii's price in both north america, and OTHERS, the 360 just needs more of those exclsuive top of the line games to really bounce back to first place.

I just dont know why OTHERS keeps rejecting the Xbox 360.

I used to live in Europe and I didn't buy it due to it being unreliable. I never had any faith in after sales service and I think that maybe the main reason for rejection in Others

Quote --->  about X360, MS made a BIG anti-piracy system, it is called 3RLs, or RRoD. I know a bunch of ppl afraid to open a X360 and void warrant because they will need it... 

leo-j said:
grimygunz said:
@ leo-j at this point games cant save the 360 in japan. its already dead there. ITs cheap and nobody still buys it. considering that the 360 already has great games is not the margin where it will need to improve. the damage was done with the RRoD crysis all over the world. If there was no RRod 360 sales in Europe atleast would not have slowed down so dramatically.

Its just very confusing, the japanese market completely rejects the Xbox 360, Id like to know why this is true?

American products usualy don't sell well in Japan... Maybe what happened in 1945 has something to do with that?

... Hiroshima and Nagasaki... maybe they haven't completely forgot...

Around the Network

the 360 doesn't sell in Japan because the 360 is mostly shooters and the Japanese aren't into them like the west is. Yes I know that there are jrps on the 360 but just because it rains every once in a while in the desert doesn't mean it isn't a desert.  and no, it has no chance of winning because they are losing money on it and they are last in sales.

Magnific0 said:
What's exactly winning?

Making a lot of profit over investment compared to the competition?

Winning more market share compared to the gain of competitors in this generation?

well..for the sake of the argument - "winning" is selling more consoles than the competitors

Well microsoft has done a lot to make the 360 respectable in Japan. And it is doing better then the original xbox (not that its hard to do so). They do have the most JRPG's out of all the current consoles afterall.

However I think thats the flaw to their strategy in Japan. One only has to look at the success of the casual titles in Japan (and Europe) to see the changing demographics in regards to game tastes in those regions. So in regards to japan they have a small hardcore audience which they're catering to, when they really should be attempting to target the mass market. They need more scene it style titles to increase the consoles potential audience. These more casual titles would also greatly help them in Europe.

The 360 has all the games it needs to maintain a large presence in America and whilst those games do sell well in the rest of the world I think they need to start targeting the expanded market, its not as if the hardcore titles will dry up, the 360 does have a huge amount of 3rd party support.

Another problem is the RROD. That needs to be eliminated.

To answer the question I don't think they can catch up to nintendo in hardware. I do think they can remain competitive in software sales for years to come though. However I do believe they can maintain their second place if they change some of their strategies.

I would like to see Mistwalker put out another great title.
If the next FF is as bad as the last one, that may hurt sony a bit in the long run.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur