By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Total Destruction was already possible on PS3/xbox360 without Cloud. Red Faction vs Crackdown 3

Porcupine_I said:
walsufnir said:

So when mentioning a tech that is available on pc since a long time, on all current gen consoles and was on a last gen console, that's baiting a certain crowd? Sorry but then it's a problem of this crowd and not mine.

Obviously you are the only one reacting by complaining. What this means is up to people to interpret.

See? Now you playing all innocent like you don't know whats going on, for the second time in a row. 

I am not playing the innocent, I already told you where the problem is. By continuing this discussion, which is and was completely only between us, although you said I was baiting, it gets off-topic and as you seem to be the only one who "took the bait", well. I don't want to repeat myself, it has already been said. If you want to argue about why GPGPU is only PS4-related, feel free to make a thread about it and tell people that GPGPU is not only available on PS4 and is a last-gen tech :)

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Porcupine_I said:
walsufnir said:

So when mentioning a tech that is available on pc since a long time, on all current gen consoles and was on a last gen console, that's baiting a certain crowd? Sorry but then it's a problem of this crowd and not mine.

Obviously you are the only one reacting by complaining. What this means is up to people to interpret.

See? Now you playing all innocent like you don't know whats going on, for the second time in a row. 

I am not playing the innocent, I already told you where the problem is. By continuing this discussion, which is and was completely only between us, although you said I was baiting, it gets off-topic and as you seem to be the only one who "took the bait", well. I don't want to repeat myself, it has already been said. If you want to argue about why GPGPU is only PS4-related, feel free to make a thread about it and tell people that GPGPU is not only available on PS4 and is a last-gen tech :)

The thing that nobody took your bait is that nobody really cares about the topic of the thread in the first place, or maybe people are just smarter than you think they are. Just like i thought you are smarter than you pretend to be. But if you insist i will revert my opinion and i will percieve you as the character you choose for yourself.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

ArchangelMadzz said:
MB1025 said:

Last gen didn't do it on this scale. Watch the red faction video. Howuch debris disappears into the ground? In red faction you are destroying a very small section. On CD3 you can level an entire city while every piece of debris can then be picked up or walked on. 

It is pathetic at this point watching people in this thread with the fail comedy acts and the off topic rants. 

...Can you just read my comment again? I'm sure it can act as a direct response to your reply.

I did and your saying it can be done without a server farm. If this is the case why spend millions to do that instead of doing in through the hardware? Also what's your proof that this level of destruction and playable debris can be done on hardware? 

EpicRandy said:
The cloud in C3 is not use to bring something new but to scale it up multiple time and add more realism to it.
You could argue that this is possible with dedicated server and you'll be right thechnically but not finnancialy.
Cost to have enough server to do that would be insane and seriously affect the game rentability and will automatically lead to server being close prematurely.
On a cloud platform like azure ressource are affected dynamically based on needs. It can scale up when more player are online and scale down when not, unlike dedicated server, this remove the needs to ever close the server. but even with this it would be hard for dev to add feature like this to a game because cloud computing is costitive and on that scale at his peak it would cost many M$/year.

With the cloud on Xbox platform fees are not assume by publisher but by gamers Xbox live subscription so the cost to add a feature like this to a game is the cost they have to assume when creating it that's where the true power of the cloud is.

Azure isn't for free either. Phil Spencer sure must pay for each Azure's TFLOP and TB of bandwidth used. Having it in house is cheaper, and XBL may have few free coupons to use Azure in order to push the XB1, but any developer can rent computing resources from other Cloud providers (like Amazon). And that is less of an issue for the big guys (EA, Ubisoft... Sony). If they don't have their Cloud computing technology already.

In any case any deferred computation can be (with some restrictions) implemented as pre-baked. To each building could be associated a DB with one or more explosion simulations. It would require quite a large amount of disc data but the final effect would be similar. Maybe a tad repetitive in few cases if there is a space constraint. Still it would have the benefit to be offline and immediate (no noticeable delay).

So there isn't really anything "miraculous" about this remote computing technology. Which btw is 30 years old. The Uncharted 2 cutscenes have been developed using the same identical technology, but on farms of PS3 connected via Ethernet. Indeed the weak link (literally) on Cloud computing for video games is the Internet. Too bleeding slow. Especially the latency.

Yeah it was really possible

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
What's funny is destructible environments would look even better this gen, thanks to the better specs. Of course, this way MS can get away with its always online BS from the start of the gen, using "teh power of the cloud" as an excuse to pull it off. And of course, some just lap it up.

When we see offline games using physics at the same level as Crackdown 3 I guess you'll be proved right.

Until then give it a rest buddy.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

thismeintiel said:
What's funny is destructible environments would look even better this gen, thanks to the better specs. Of course, this way MS can get away with its always online BS from the start of the gen, using "teh power of the cloud" as an excuse to pull it off. And of course, some just lap it up.

Destructible environments do look even better this gen. You should check out Crackdown 3. Also, while watching Crackdown 3, open another tab and read up on it, the game is not always online. You can play the game entirely offline.

Now, complaining and starting up conspiracy theories about why online is required for... online components, is a whole nother issue. I'm wondering, does it also bother you that online leagues in sports games requires online? Driveclub's online club mechanics, you have to be online for those. Is that an issue? Star Wars Battlefront is a huge holiday 2015 game. I think you have to be online to play its online modes.

Now, since you're speaking factually about how better destruction can be this gen, where did you see this at? More specs doesn't automatically mean better destruction. The GeoMod engine was amazing and Voalition spent over a decade building and fine tuning it. You don't get better looking destruction just by having more specs. BF3 and BF4 have better specs but don't have better destruction.

Michelasso said:
EpicRandy said:
The cloud in C3 is not use to bring something new but to scale it up multiple time and add more realism to it.
You could argue that this is possible with dedicated server and you'll be right thechnically but not finnancialy.
Cost to have enough server to do that would be insane and seriously affect the game rentability and will automatically lead to server being close prematurely.
On a cloud platform like azure ressource are affected dynamically based on needs. It can scale up when more player are online and scale down when not, unlike dedicated server, this remove the needs to ever close the server. but even with this it would be hard for dev to add feature like this to a game because cloud computing is costitive and on that scale at his peak it would cost many M$/year.

With the cloud on Xbox platform fees are not assume by publisher but by gamers Xbox live subscription so the cost to add a feature like this to a game is the cost they have to assume when creating it that's where the true power of the cloud is.

Azure isn't for free either. 1)Phil Spencer sure must pay for each Azure's TFLOP and TB of bandwidth used. Having it in house is cheaper, and XBL may have few free coupons to use Azure in order to push the XB1, but any developer can rent computing resources from other Cloud providers (like Amazon). And that is less of an issue for the big guys (EA, Ubisoft... Sony). If they don't have their Cloud computing technology already.

2)In any case any deferred computation can be (with some restrictions) implemented as pre-baked. To each building could be associated a DB with one or more explosion simulations. It would require quite a large amount of disc data but the final effect would be similar. Maybe a tad repetitive in few cases if there is a space constraint. 3)Still it would have the benefit to be offline and immediate (no noticeable delay).

So there isn't really anything "miraculous" about this remote computing technology. Which btw is 30 years old. The Uncharted 2 cutscenes have been developed using the same identical technology, but on farms of PS3 connected via Ethernet. Indeed the weak link (literally) on Cloud computing for video games is the Internet. Too bleeding slow. Especially the latency.

1) Nope, gamers pay for the maintenance off those servers and the xbox division have their own server which are the so no they are not paying for every tflops which is not even the buisiness model Microsoft is using for their server anyway.

2)Then it will not be dynamic anymore and the console would still have the issue on processing collider for remaining debris.

3) I have no reason to think the delay will be anymore significant than any other multiplayer game like COD or BF as they will certainly use forward prediction like for any of those game. Yes their will be more data but if your connection is good enough (and we are talking of 4mbps) then this will not result in lag. ping /= bandwith

4) Reread my post, I never said that it's new and that you can't achieve the same with dedicated server but it's not financially impossible. look at Destiny the game does not make significantly more processing online than a game like cod yet for a 10 year support they expect multiple hundreds of millions in server cost. The buisiness model Microsoft is using coupled with a server virtualization technology (which is relatively new) are what made this financially possible. 

MB1025 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

...Can you just read my comment again? I'm sure it can act as a direct response to your reply.

I did and your saying it can be done without a server farm. If this is the case why spend millions to do that instead of doing in through the hardware? Also what's your proof that this level of destruction and playable debris can be done on hardware? 

It can be done on hardware.
The 2013 NVidia demo looks just as good as the 2014 Build demo of Crackdown 3 tech

One GTX 680 30fps specialized hardware

Server farm with general computing

The difference is PC games won't support it since it would severly limit the user base to those with high end cards when it changes the gameplay. Hence you only see graphical enhancements for high end cards.

The distributed computing tech can be used for many things, MS does all kinds of research. So applying it to a game as a show case is just a bonus. And this way you don't need a physx chip on the local hardware so everyone can enjoy it and then it makes sense to put it in a game.

MB1025 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

It's an easy logical leap. The level detail of destruction on this game is very close to crackdown. Crackdown does this on a larger scale by being open world. Why is it hard to believe that PS4/XB1 that are extraordinarily more powerful in calculations can do what PS3/360 did in the same way but open world? Especially if you add in cell shaded videos that aren't demanding at all? 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'