By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer: Sony buying third party games, all to do with money, not market share

I think your all making this a lot more serious than it is. He obviously isn't going to say things you like every time hes asked a question, but don't discredit him completely for it. Also he has a lot more knowledge on the inner business aspect of the industry than anyone in this thread. You guys are on the outside looking in and your opinions aren't gospel anymore than his. Actually yours hold less weight in my opinion.

Around the Network
Mad55 said:
I think your all making this a lot more serious than it is. He obviously isn't going to say things you like every time hes asked a question, but don't discredit him completely for it. Also he has a lot more knowledge on the inner business aspect of the industry than anyone in this thread. You guys are on the outside looking in and your opinions aren't gospel anymore than his. Actually yours hold less weight in my opinion.

He's also not even saying or implying what most of the people in the thread are blindly assuming in their rush to bash him for it. Sadly the thread is still at the point where you're just a stupid idiot Xbox fanboy if you agree with what he is saying. Maybe by page 4 or 5 people will have settled down and can discuss things maturely.

Mad55 said:

I like Phil Spencer, but he's not telling the truth i this instance. He knows marketshare is everything. It gives you all the political power you need that money cannot buy in the industry.

Samus Aran said:
Burek said:
Samus Aran said:

PS3 barely has any fun local multiplayer games. Good luck finding a fun co-op game with one other person, let alone 7 LOL.

FIFA

True, but despite being a European I am not a football fan!

Didn't know the critereas for best console where dependent of your preferences. This way it's hard argument when you can change your argument to fit an agenda.

For all you say owning a ps2 must have been a nightmare for you.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Mad55 said:

And he knowing the market prevents him spinning like on tomb raider case or close to sell (ship) 10M in the holidays?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Mad55 said:

He's also not even saying or implying what most of the people in the thread are blindly assuming in their rush to bash him for it. Sadly the thread is still at the point where you're just a stupid idiot Xbox fanboy if you agree with what he is saying. Maybe by page 4 or 5 people will have settled down and can discuss things maturely.

Maybe you should re-read the OP, cause he is absolutely implying what most peole are assuming, he is implying that marketshare has NOTHING to do with the cost involved in making a deal with a third party, or what are you saying he meant with this?

"I know some people think it's somehow less expensive to sign third-party exclusives if you have a bigger market-share. I can tell you, it has nothing to do with market share."

LudicrousSpeed said:
Mad55 said:

He did not imply anything, he said it outright - that marketshare has absolutely no influence on the price of exclusivity.

You can choose to believe that, but it will not make it any less than a straight up lie. It is just fortunate that very few people believe it. The most fortunate ones are various PR coaches now that Microsoft will need to pay for a dozen more courses for their managers: "How to turn bullshit into a PR statement and have people gobble it up without vomiting!"

Mad55 said:

For God's sake man use some common sense. Do I have to be a doctor to know that if I drink poison it would kill me? Or do you have to be a fireman to know that if you take a match to something that clearly has flameable wriiten on it it would light up. 

What your dear Mr.Phil is doing here is blatant spin. its that kinda spin that is borderline insulting. Just read the article. He clearly says that market share has nothing to do with market share and is all about money as if you can separate the two. 

I really can't wrap my head around how their are still people here making excuses for him. 

DonFerrari said:
Samus Aran said:
Burek said:
Samus Aran said:

PS3 barely has any fun local multiplayer games. Good luck finding a fun co-op game with one other person, let alone 7 LOL.

FIFA

True, but despite being a European I am not a football fan!

Didn't know the critereas for best console where dependent of your preferences. This way it's hard argument when you can change your argument to fit an agenda.

For all you say owning a ps2 must have been a nightmare for you.

Shocker, liking one console over another is based on preferences?

The point is, PS2 wasn't a great console for me: too expensive for what it is, weak hardware and only two controller ports. Couple that with the lack of fun local multiplayer games and yeah, I went with GC instead. I paid €100 for a GC with Mario Kart: Double Dash and a Zelda collector's disk (Ocarine of Time, Majora's Mask and demo of WW). That's super cheap.

I like action adventure games and the GC had that on lockdown with Metroid Prime 1 & 2, WW and TP.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

I like Phil Spencer, but he's not telling the truth i this instance. He knows marketshare is everything. It gives you all the political power you need that money cannot buy in the industry.

Yep, Nintendo convinced all the third parties to make thier big games exclusive to Wii.