By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer: Sony buying third party games, all to do with money, not market share

Namiirei said:
Azzanation said:

Marketshare means little because machines like the Gamecube had plently of 3rd party support and that was agasint the PS2 which in terms of sales was on another level. Why would devs make games for the Gamecube if the marketshare is such a big factor in your eyes? Because of deals, all companies do it, just like Sony, and Microsoft. You want something, you have to pay for it.

...Are you really trying to compare ps2 with gamecube, for tiers ?

The point i am making is why did the Gamecube still have 3rd party support with exclusive titles if the PS2 was in another league in terms of sales? No one would bother with the gamecube if devs cared only for marketshare

Around the Network
IamAwsome said:
WC4Life said:

I'd agree if it was still last-gen but not current-gen. The reason is Europe and ROTW. In NA it does not matter so much whether COD is PS4 or XBO since both have a lot of presence. However the situation is completely different in Europe and ROTW compared to last-gen. X360 actually had significant presence in these territories but current-gen XBO has lost marketshare so much that in many countries COD-marketing would go to waste completely. The amount of exposure COD-franchise will get by teaming up with PS4 is on a totally different level worldwide. Also Activision wants to sell as many DLC as possible and as fast as possible. Activision surely don't want to delay majority of userbase to purchase DLC, they want to take their money right away. This of course assumes PS4 will have the majority and I strongly believe it will because the install base difference is so huge now.

Then there is another point which is not related to marketshare. Halo 5 is coming and MS will give H5 gigantic push. COD-marketing being XBO would compete directly with H5. Now MS can use the saved COD-marketing money to promote H5 instead.

This is a good post. I've never thought of this from a European's perspective.  I think I do sort of understand the marketshare arguement for European countries now. So COD isn't huge in Europe like it is in NA? I guess the marketshare arguement depends on the game. It makes me wonder why EA still markets FIFA on Xbox despite the game selling a lot more in Europe and on PlayStation. 

Loads of money

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Samus Aran said:
fatslob-:O said:
Samus Aran said:

Yeah, PS2 can't compete with GC.

You mean it's the GC that can't compete with the PS2 ... 

Afterall it got obliterated when it came to consumer support ...

Doesn't matter, the Bible is the most read piece of literature in the world yet it's poorly written. People have poor tastes!

I'll take the Illiad and Odyssee over the Bible, just like I take my GC over the PS2. 4 player local multiplayer beats all! PS2 can't even do that without an add-on. The joys of playing Mario Kart: Double Dash and Super Smash Bros. Melee with friends and family really is unmatched by anything else from that generation. GC was also more powerful and a lot cheaper where I lived! Battlefront was great as well though, with a friend (together with the DBZ games the only fun multiplayer experience I had with the PS2).

(PS2 still beats the Bible though)

So your preffered console from 7th gen is PS3 that accepted 7 controllers without any problem, right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Samus Aran said:
fatslob-:O said:
Samus Aran said:

Yeah, PS2 can't compete with GC.

You mean it's the GC that can't compete with the PS2 ... 

Afterall it got obliterated when it came to consumer support ...

Doesn't matter, the Bible is the most read piece of literature in the world yet it's poorly written. People have poor tastes!

I'll take the Illiad and Odyssee over the Bible, just like I take my GC over the PS2. 4 player local multiplayer beats all! PS2 can't even do that without an add-on. The joys of playing Mario Kart: Double Dash and Super Smash Bros. Melee with friends and family really is unmatched by anything else from that generation. GC was also more powerful and a lot cheaper where I lived! Battlefront was great as well though, with a friend (together with the DBZ games the only fun multiplayer experience I had with the PS2).

(PS2 still beats the Bible though)

So your preffered console from 7th gen is PS3 that accepted 7 controllers without any problem, right?

PS3 barely has any fun local multiplayer games. Good luck finding a fun co-op game with one other person, let alone 7 LOL.

Samus Aran said:

PS3 barely has any fun local multiplayer games. Good luck finding a fun co-op game with one other person, let alone 7 LOL.

FIFA

Around the Network
Burek said:
Samus Aran said:

FIFA

True, but despite being a European I am not a football fan!

Microsoft came into the industry to stop Sony from dominating it and not partnering with them. Of course they are going to downplay marketshare being Sony's greatest card against them. They know marketshare is everything when you dont have the funds to outspend Microsoft, because they used Marketshre to exact revenge last gen. He's just hoping the people are dumb enough to believe it.

Samus Aran said:
Burek said:
Samus Aran said:

FIFA

Neither am I, but that was not a stipulation. 

Intrinsic said:
You guys relax. He's just trying to see how stupid everyone is.

it's the Xbox fanboy litmus test whether people believe this or not.  Phil is taking a survey

I am Iron Man

Burek said:
Samus Aran said:
Burek said:
Samus Aran said:

FIFA

Neither am I, but that was not a stipulation. 

Well, we were talking about whether or not I think the PS3 was the best 7th gen console. Truth to be told, the 7th gen was a let down for me.