By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer: Sony buying third party games, all to do with money, not market share

green_sky said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I like Phil Spencer, but he's not telling the truth i this instance. He knows marketshare is everything. It gives you all the political power you need that money cannot buy in the industry.

Yep, Nintendo convinced all the third parties to make thier big games exclusive to Wii. 

Is this the first time in 3 pages someone brought up the Wii and its massive userbase advantage? If so, congrats you win the thread.

I wonder why Nintendo turned down free CoD sponsorship?

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
green_sky said:

Yep, Nintendo convinced all the third parties to make thier big games exclusive to Wii. 

Is this the first time in 3 pages someone brought up the Wii and its massive userbase advantage? If so, congrats you win the thread.

So, you are resorting to hanging onto Nintendo thread to defend poor misunderstood Phil.

The answer is: Because CoD and most other 3rd party AAA games are aimed at adults, which do not hold a very large MARKETSHARE within the Nintendo family. Even little children know that.

User was moderated for this post - Miguel_Zorro

Azzanation said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

You don't need a business degree but rather common sense to know that marketshare gives a person sway that money cannot buy. Besides...Sony couldn't outbid Microsoft if they tried. Done deal.

Microsofts biggest deals from last gen came from moneyhatting which was allowed because of their marketshare.

How hard is it to understand that business is all about money and relationships. Devs don't just make games for whats hot, they make games depending on the deals first. If they cant find a good enough deal they will go elsewhere or use there foresight on which machine they prefer.

Example - A dev who makes MMOs will obviously make a game for PC due to the audience it attracts however if they find a good enough deal, that MMO will cross over to a different system.

Marketshare means little because machines like the Gamecube had plently of 3rd party support and that was agasint the PS2 which in terms of sales was on another level. Why would devs make games for the Gamecube if the marketshare is such a big factor in your eyes? Because of deals, all companies do it, just like Sony, and Microsoft. You want something, you have to pay for it.

Actually, using the Capcom 5 as an example, the support was made on good will. Capcom voluntarily wanted to show that the GCN was a capable machine, so they promised 5 exclusive games, to boost sales and show that the console had 3rd party support.

When the GCN kept selling like shit, they decided to 3 out of the 4 that they actually made (Dead Phoenix was cancelled). They put those multiplatted games on PS2, not Xbox. Why? Marketshare. 

Also, define "plenty" of 3rd party support. Exclusives or just games being released on the console? The Wii had "plenty of 3rd party support", but it wasn't because of games too many people are bragging about. In terms of exclusives, there was only 91 GCN exclusives, total. Many of which were obviously Nintendo games. So that doesn't leave much to the argument of "plenty" of support, if you're talking about exclusives. 

Burek said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
green_sky said:

So, you are resorting to hanging onto Nintendo thread to defend poor misunderstood Phil.

The answer is: Because CoD and most other 3rd party AAA games are aimed at adults, which do not hold a very large MARKETSHARE within the Nintendo family. Even little children know that.

CoD is aimed at little kids lol.

Burek said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
green_sky said:

See there? Now you're getting somewhere. Even if the first sentence of your post is pretty much unreadable due to terrible wording, and the insult in the last sentence was not needed, but you're finally making progress somewhere inbetween there.

I agree that the makeup of the Wii's userbase would make its marketshare advantage pretty irrelevant when it comes to 3rd party deals for the games MicroSony were moneyhatting last gen. Of course, I'd apply that same logic to the userbase of the PS4 right now. It might have a 10 million or whatever lead on Xbone in userbase, but that doesn't really matter when the games sell much closer than that, barring moneyhat deals. Which is what Phil means when he goes on to explain that every publisher has their own definition of the market.

Sony might get better marketing deals with some games because the userbase there will buy more copies of the game, enough to offset the revenue of a deal reached with MS, but that doesn't have anything to do with global marketshare. It's the same reason lots of Japanese games skipped the 360 last gen even though it sold just as much as PS3. The userbase there just won't buy many copies. I mean, most of you are so eager to apply this same logic when another console was leading in sales, yet you refuse to apply it to PS4 LOL.

But I am sure little children know this, and I hope I passed the litmus test. Now I am truly done with the thread.

Around the Network
Burek said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
green_sky said:

And the console being too weak to reach the developers' visions also had absolutely nothing to do with it. Activision totally wanted the frontrunner for their company to be gimped versions of CoD with severely watered down graphics, hampered multiplayer modes (whether local or online), no zombies, and no DLC. 

But Sony and MS moneyhatted!

Samus Aran said:
DonFerrari said:
Samus Aran said:

True, but despite being a European I am not a football fan!

Didn't know the critereas for best console where dependent of your preferences. This way it's hard argument when you can change your argument to fit an agenda.

For all you say owning a ps2 must have been a nightmare for you.

Shocker, liking one console over another is based on preferences?

The point is, PS2 wasn't a great console for me: too expensive for what it is, weak hardware and only two controller ports. Couple that with the lack of fun local multiplayer games and yeah, I went with GC instead. I paid €100 for a GC with Mario Kart: Double Dash and a Zelda collector's disk (Ocarine of Time, Majora's Mask and demo of WW). That's super cheap.

I like action adventure games and the GC had that on lockdown with Metroid Prime 1 & 2, WW and TP.

Shocker is that just now you are saying it's your preffered console, and that is fine... but before you were implying the console was the best period.

If you weight how much less the adapter and extra controller were for PS2 compared to Nintendo controllers or worst yet the cost of the game than you can't say with a straight face that GC was cheaper to have a great time.

Pac-man was a very fine game for fun local co-op.

I love Nintendo for local co-op, the problem nowadays is making friends come together to even play those games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

LudicrousSpeed said:
Burek said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

See there? Now you're getting somewhere. Even if the first sentence of your post is pretty much unreadable due to terrible wording, and the insult in the last sentence was not needed, but you're finally making progress somewhere inbetween there.

I agree that the makeup of the Wii's userbase would make its marketshare advantage pretty irrelevant when it comes to 3rd party deals for the games MicroSony were moneyhatting last gen. Of course, I'd apply that same logic to the userbase of the PS4 right now. It might have a 10 million or whatever lead on Xbone in userbase, but that doesn't really matter when the games sell much closer than that, barring moneyhat deals. Which is what Phil means when he goes on to explain that every publisher has their own definition of the market.

Sony might get better marketing deals with some games because the userbase there will buy more copies of the game, enough to offset the revenue of a deal reached with MS, but that doesn't have anything to do with global marketshare. It's the same reason lots of Japanese games skipped the 360 last gen even though it sold just as much as PS3. The userbase there just won't buy many copies. I mean, most of you are so eager to apply this same logic when another console was leading in sales, yet you refuse to apply it to PS4 LOL.

But I am sure little children know this, and I hope I passed the litmus test. Now I am truly done with the thread.

Problem is Phil didn't said, it isn't solely dependent on Marketshare (but more on potential sales lost), he outright said it have NOTHING to do with marketshare... and that is the lie.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Shocker is that just now you are saying it's your preffered console, and that is fine... but before you were implying the console was the best period.

If you weight how much less the adapter and extra controller were for PS2 compared to Nintendo controllers or worst yet the cost of the game than you can't say with a straight face that GC was cheaper to have a great time.

Pac-man was a very fine game for fun local co-op.

I love Nintendo for local co-op, the problem nowadays is making friends come together to even play those games.

I only bought one extra controller, my friend had two others, so combined we had 4. :p

And I used my GC controllers a lot during the Wii era itself, so pretty good investment.

As for games, GC and PS2 games were the same price iirc. I usually buy games at launch anyway, so I don't mind paying full price, it's better than waiting for price cuts!

The post I quoted in the beginning stated it as a fact that the GC was no match for the PS2, so I did the same to give him a taste of his own medicine. :)

And yeah, it's getting harder and harder to have friends come over. But that's why we force our girlfriends to play with us. xD

LudicrousSpeed said:
Burek said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
green_sky said:

Now if there actually were any multiplat titles that sold as well on X1 as they are selling on PS4 despite the userbase difference then you might almost have a point, but considering that aside from Madden any game that sells significantly in the US also sells significantly in Europe and they thus all sell better on PS4 you simple don't. The only exception I can think of would maybe be Just Dance.

So yes for western devs marketshare is extremely important.