By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer: Sony buying third party games, all to do with money, not market share

Samus Aran said:
DonFerrari said:

Shocker is that just now you are saying it's your preffered console, and that is fine... but before you were implying the console was the best period.

If you weight how much less the adapter and extra controller were for PS2 compared to Nintendo controllers or worst yet the cost of the game than you can't say with a straight face that GC was cheaper to have a great time.

Pac-man was a very fine game for fun local co-op.

I love Nintendo for local co-op, the problem nowadays is making friends come together to even play those games.

I only bought one extra controller, my friend had two others, so combined we had 4. :p

And I used my GC controllers a lot during the Wii era itself, so pretty good investment.

As for games, GC and PS2 games were the same price iirc. I usually buy games at launch anyway, so I don't mind paying full price, it's better than waiting for price cuts!

The post I quoted in the beginning stated it as a fact that the GC was no match for the PS2, so I did the same to give him a taste of his own medicine. :)

And yeah, it's getting harder and harder to have friends come over. But that's why we force our girlfriends to play with us. xD

having a friend bring controllers is always good... on PS1 I bought 8 controllers and 2 multitaps to play fifa with 8, worked only 2 times then guys tired out.

My wife doesn't play much =[

GC was no match in sales, but was a fantastic machine and had great games, even though I have some difficulties playing N64 and GC due to playing little and the controller being quite different than the DS.

I abhor competitive online, but I kinda like the idea of online co-op, the problem is that we can only get that for very few games (oww RC all for one allows very good local and lan 4 co-op) and everyone needs to have the game (plus and sharing helped a little), but DS idea of one person having the game and the others joining like in MK is fantastic.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
green_sky said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I like Phil Spencer, but he's not telling the truth i this instance. He knows marketshare is everything. It gives you all the political power you need that money cannot buy in the industry.

Yep, Nintendo convinced all the third parties to make thier big games exclusive to Wii. 

Third party would've loved to port their third party over to Nintendo but the Wii was just too underpowered. They got a COD in World at War and that was pretty much it. As you said, they were forced to resort to exclusives which used the nunchucks because Nintendo couldn't furnish them with a platform that was on par in power. Its all about money and power. The Wii had that...but it just lacked the performance of the console itself. The Wii could've had a much larger and sustainable following if it was able to play the top multiplats as well.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
green_sky said:

Yep, Nintendo convinced all the third parties to make thier big games exclusive to Wii. 

Third party would've loved to port their third party over to Nintendo but the Wii was just too underpowered. They got a COD in World at War and that was pretty much it. As you said, they were forced to resort to exclusives which used the nunchucks because Nintendo couldn't furnish them with a platform that was on par in power. Its all about money and power. The Wii had that...but it just lacked the performance of the console itself. The Wii could've had a much larger and sustainable following if it was able to play the top multiplats as well.

It was likely a mix of the performance gap and the consumer base for the Wii. 

One of the first games I bought for the Wii was Far Cry. The prospect of playing an open world FPS using a pointer mechanics was extremely appealing. Unfortunately, the execution was horrendous and I'm not convinced it was simply due to a lack of processing power. It came off as a rushed and somewhat broken port. But it did play, SD resolution and all. 

So while quality of early ports like Far Cry might have deterred Wii owners from further support of such games on the platform (odds are high that Wii owner also owned an XB360 if they were in the market for FPS games), it more than likely boiled down to sales performance of said games that deterred Wii developers from further support. 

It really doesn't matter how much market share a product has if the majority of the consumer base for said product isn't buying the types of games a developer is producing. 

Gotta tag this for a read when I get the time.

-Edit : After reading over this I have to say he must have been caught out to suggest something like that, I mean the guy is good at spinning a story but surely there is no one that would believe it would cost a company the same amount to secure a game exclusively for a system which was being outsold 10:1 by another as it would the other way around?

Thread seems to have gotten fairly offtopic tho to the point where people are putting extra words in Phils mouth and little *'s on it for him (or talking about historians and the Bible wtf), which is nice and all that, but based on the words that came out of his mouth he fucked up a bit basically, it happens to the best PR men around the place I'm sure himself or Nelson will probably put out a tweet joking it off in the next week or so like always.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

greenmedic88 said:

It was likely a mix of the performance gap and the consumer base for the Wii. 

One of the first games I bought for the Wii was Far Cry. The prospect of playing an open world FPS using a pointer mechanics was extremely appealing. Unfortunately, the execution was horrendous and I'm not convinced it was simply due to a lack of processing power. It came off as a rushed and somewhat broken port. But it did play, SD resolution and all. 

So while quality of early ports like Far Cry might have deterred Wii owners from further support of such games on the platform (odds are high that Wii owner also owned an XB360 if they were in the market for FPS games), it more than likely boiled down to sales performance of said games that deterred Wii developers from further support. 

It really doesn't matter how much market share a product has if the majority of the consumer base for said product isn't buying the types of games a developer is producing. 

Yes, the Wii was primarily purchased by people who didnt game very much. It was  a media darling, because Nintendos first party is very casual friendly it helped the sales boost to monumental levels as well. Third party cannot always attest to this which is why Just Dance was like the only other third party game to achieve such sales. 

The point is marketshare was the reason third party took the risk in the first place to create ports or new IP for Nintendo. The quality was probably the only issue, also since many struggled with the waggle features of the wii-mote. Nintendo had been working on it for years so they knew how to control it.

Around the Network

Phil talks more than anyone has before at MS.I am glad Sony is too busy bringing exclusive games to talk this much and when they do talk it has nothing to do with the competition.