By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Ranking the six Star Wars films

1 A new hope 9.5/10
By far my favourite star wars movie and a great intro to the universe and series.

2 Revenge of the sith 9/10
My second favouite and leads in greatly to the orignal series also order 66 FTW.

3 The Empire Strikes Back 8/10
The Battle for hoth is my second favourite battle that I've seen in the star wars series so far behind the Battle of/over Coruscant.

4 & 6 Return of the Jedi & The Phantom Menace 7/10
very solid movies but not a fan of gungans or ewoks.

5 Attack of the Clones 5/10
Meh.

Around the Network

1. A New Hope - by far the best, a masterpiece, not one scene seems out of pace or of low quality

2. Empire Strikes Back- possibly the most entertaining of the series

3. Return of the Jedi- ehhhhhh. the eewoks sort of ruined this. that plus the unveiling of Darth Vader's mask (god I love the "I'm your father!" line but it would been so much better if Darth Vader had just died and we hadn't seen his old face)

and no I'm not just putting them in order of sequence, they definitely got worse as they went

the next best Star Wars film is probably Revenge of the Sith. of the prequels it was the only one that was not totally shitty, had good moments, great final battle for example

Phantom of the Menace and Attack of the Clones- god toughie. my gut instinct is to put Phantom as the 5th best Star Wars movie based on Darth Maul's cool design (despite only being in the film for like 2 scenes) as well as the fun pod racing but Jar Jar Binks sort of damages that. the Clone Wars was a jumbled mess though with few if any good moments. Both suck.

CleggaZ said:
1 A new hope 9.5/10
By far my favourite star wars movie and a great intro to the universe and series.

2 Revenge of the sith 9/10
My second favouite and leads in greatly to the orignal series also order 66 FTW.

3 The Empire Strikes Back 8/10
The Battle for hoth is my second favourite battle that I've seen in the star wars series so far behind the Battle of/over Coruscant.

4 & 6 Return of the Jedi & The Phantom Menace 7/10
very solid movies but not a fan of gungans or ewoks.

5 Attack of the Clones 5/10
Meh.

Revenge of the Sith over Empire Strikes Back? seriously? blah...

the fact you gave the Phantom Menace a 7/10 is disturbing as well

There are only 3 Star Wars movies, thus far, in my book.

Revenge of the sith
The empire strikes back
Return of the Jedi
Attack of the clones
A new hope
The phantom menace

Around the Network

Clearly, most people who are accepting of the prequels are or were very young upon their release. Thus, it was the Star Wars of their childhood.

Having watched Star Wars, Empire, and Return of the Jedi in theaters when they came out, I had a much different opinion of them. They were incredible, as there were no other options or things to compare them to. Most Sci-Fi movies back then were slow and overly science based or they were cartoonish. Very few movies at the time treated this genre like it was a real thing.

As far as ranking them goes:

1. Star Wars - Didn't need another movie, it did everything it needed to.
2. Empire Strikes Back - Probably still the best sequel I have ever seen.
3. Revenge of the Sith - Just wish this was the low point of the prequels and they had gotten better from here.
4. Return of the Jedi - Even though it tied up a number of the plot points, it was aimed
5. Phantom Menace - Boring for the most part, but hey they have Jedis and lightsabers!
6. Attack of the Clones - Another boring movie and terrible love story

It is near the end of the end....

1.) Empire Strike Back - 9.5/10, virtually perfect.

2.) Return of the Jedi - 8/10, people harp on the Ewok stuff, but the Emperor-Luke-Vader stuff is 100% perfect and that's exactly what needed to be done right.

3.) A New Hope - 8/10, smaller scale story but still well done. A space Western.

4.) Revenge of the Sith - 5.5/10, some scenes without special effects actually work (go figure), but the characters are still too bland for the story to make as much impact as it should. General Grievous is a goofball cartoon villain. If the prequels had started with this relative level of quality and gotten better from there, they may have worked, sadly this is the peak of the prequel trilogy. 

5.) The Phantom Menace - 4/10, feels the most "Star Wars-ey" of the prequels, but also has a story where almost nothing happens. Boring, monotone characters other than Jar-Jar who is a massive misfire (also Boss Nass is completely stupid too). Darth Maul was a cool villain, but completely wasted as a character.

6.) Attack of the Clones - 3/10, oh boy. Just a bad movie full stop. Anakin is terrible and whiny, the "romance" is a so bad you might need a vomit bag. Worst dialogue in the series. Count Dooku is alright, nothing all that interesting, could have done more with his character too. Jango Fett is a giant dud too.

1. Star Wars
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Return of the Jedi
5. The Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones

The Clone Wars animated series actually pushes Revenge of the Sith into 3rd place for me.

Agree with the order in OP. Don't care about numbers.

For some reason the animated Star Wars stuff (Clone Wars, Rebels) don't seem to "click" with me fully, but they are both much better than the prequels. The Clone Wars series is basically what the prequels should have been. Anakin especially is vastly, vastly better written in the TCW series than he is in the movies.