By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Quest 11 to be announced on july 28?

Dude dude dude dudedudedudedudedudedude PS4 dude dude dude

And regarding the whole 3DS thing, there's a simple explanation here, devs aren't emotionless robots, they also have things like desires for their games and if in this case, were Horii is lucky enough to be able to put his game on pretty much any platform he wants and have it sell in Japan, the dev doesn't want to limit his game to what is essentially at best a slightly stronger PS2 but instead put it on a home console, then he can easily do that even if that means potentially foregoing some profits. It doesn't have anything to do with a bias against Nintendo.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

I think no one will be able to claim that third parties aren't biased against Nintendo if it is on PS4.

Because there's simply no way that a PS4 DQ game will make as much profit on the 3DS. I'm sure people will try to bring "The West" argument into this debate, but they're ignoring the fact that DQ has never been big in the West and MH4U on the 3DS is the fastest selling MH game in the West to date. So it's not like third party games in the West are doomed to fail on the 3DS...

Or perhaps Yuji Horii's vision for DQXI requires a lot more powerful hardware. The 3DS isn't exactly the most powerful platform and I doubt Horii will want to compromise his vision, even if gimping it for the 3DS gives SE more money on the long run (which is debatable).

DerNebel said:

And regarding the whole 3DS thing, there's a simple explanation here, devs aren't emotionless robots, they also have things like desires for their games and if in this case, were Horii is lucky enough to be able to put his game on pretty much any platform he wants and have it sell in Japan, the dev doesn't want to limit his game to what is essentially at best a slightly stronger PS2 but instead put it on a home console, then he can easily do that even if that means potentially foregoing some profits. It doesn't have anything to do with a bias against Nintendo.

Like Yoshida would say, let him dream, he will see soon enough it wont come on 3DS and will likely be a PS exclusive ( more chance to come on One than a nintendo console ) so a PS4 exclusive in the west

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Samus Aran said:
Ali_16x said:
Samus Aran said:

I think no one will be able to claim that third parties aren't biased against Nintendo if it is on PS4.

Because there's simply no way that a PS4 DQ game will make as much profit on the 3DS. I'm sure people will try to bring "The West" argument into this debate, but they're ignoring the fact that DQ has never been big in the West and MH4U on the 3DS is the fastest selling MH game in the West to date. So it's not like third party games in the West are doomed to fail on the 3DS...

Lol, more money than the 3DS? You think they don't know that? The Dragon Quest guys want to create a game on a powerful console, not the 3DS.

And that's why Square Enix makes less profit than a company that's ten times smaller. You guys are thinking like fans, not like business men.

They don't make profit? Really, they're actually doing really well so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

We're thinking like fans? Then Square Enix is too. They're going to give us a home console game when they can easily make the game for 3DS and make a lot of money.

I'm truly baffled that you just said that they should act like business men, why in the world would you want them to do that? Especially when they're doing fine financially. I'm pretty sure this is the Dragon Quest teams decision, the 3DS is such a underpowered console, they really don't want too develop for a extremely underpowered handheld anymore. 

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Xxain said:
Ali_16x said:

Lol, more money than the 3DS? You think they don't know that? The Dragon Quest guys want to create a game on a powerful console, not the 3DS.

*sigh* .... Power is not a factor. Giving Japanese gamers a reason to get consoles and stay their is. Plus PS4 popularity in the in west. 2 birds one stone.

Lol are you being serious? Of course power is a factor. Do you even know the power difference between a 3DS and PS4, even a 3DS and PS3? 

I'm sure the Dragon Quest team wanted too develop for a home console, they're developers, do you know how ambition developers are these days? And you think they're going too do that on a 3DS? No the "console factor" you are talking about would on what platforms it is on. And that would be the PS4 since they're making so many PS4 games.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

And not making an exclusive DQ mainline game for the 3DS is inexusable

Why ?

Aura7541 said:
Samus Aran said:

Or perhaps Yuji Horii's vision for DQXI requires a lot more powerful hardware. The 3DS isn't exactly the most powerful platform and I doubt Horii will want to compromise his vision, even if gimping it for the 3DS gives SE more money on the long run (which is debatable).

That's possible, but still doesn't excuse the fact that there isn't a mainline DQ HH game alongside the HC version (like Zelda, Mario, Super Smash Bros., Animal Crossing, etc.). Works just fine for Nintendo, why not Square?

Namiirei said:
Samus Aran said:

And not making an exclusive DQ mainline game for the 3DS is inexusable

Why ?

Compare the userbase of 3DS with PS4 in Japan.

Aerys said:
DerNebel said:

Like Yoshida would say, let him dream, he will see soon enough it wont come on 3DS and will likely be a PS exclusive ( more chance to come on One than a nintendo console ) so a PS4 exclusive in the west

You seem to care more about this game being exclusive to your console of choice than the actual game itself: lol.

Xxain said:
Ali_16x said:

*sigh* .... Power is not a factor. Giving Japanese gamers a reason to get consoles and stay their is. Plus PS4 popularity in the in west. 2 birds one stone.

I think sweeping platform strength under the rug isn't wise. Creator's do have specific things they want to accomplish with their titles. A more powerful platforms allows them to easier accomplish whatever their vision is. That is why they want to make a DQ on consoles, because they haven't made a full DQ since DQ8. It's been a while.

Many devs picked 3DS early because they wanted to use 3D in new or interesting ways, it's no different for other platforms.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.