By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Quest 11 to be announced on july 28?

celador said:
Samus Aran said:
celador said:

What about the active userbase of 3DS and PS4 in japan when this actually comes out?

The game would've already been out and making money had it been on handhelds. Now it's another FF XV and KH III lol.

And the difference is so big that 3DS will always win.

But as others have pointed out, they want to make it on home console. Perhaps it will be a PS4 and NX game, it could be years away.

2016 game, to celebrate Dragon Quest anniversary

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
celador said:
Samus Aran said:
celador said:

What about the active userbase of 3DS and PS4 in japan when this actually comes out?

The game would've already been out and making money had it been on handhelds. Now it's another FF XV and KH III lol.

But as others have pointed out, they want to make it on home console. Perhaps it will be a PS4 and NX game, it could be years away.

That first sentence isn't really relevant to what Samus is saying, he's saying from a financial & sales perspective a 3DS release makes more sense than a PS4 release. 3DS has the userbase (over 18 million vs less than 2 million), similar games like Pokémon/Monster Hunter/Yokai Watch have all passed 3 million and the 3 Dragon Quest remakes have averaged about 1 million while PS4 has yet to have a 500k seller in Japan.

The game is being aimed for next year, the creator mentioned a while back how he wanted it to release next year because it will be the series 30th anniversary.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

This reminds me of that legendary disappointing livestream from Level 5 and subsequent real-time reaction thread on VGC haha. When we all thought they were going to announce that new IP and it turned out to be a bunch of J-Pop and Youkai Watch merch rofl the reactions were awesome

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Aerys said:
celador said:
Samus Aran said:
celador said:

Ah, I missed that. Hopefully it does drop next year, at least in japan

Samus Aran said:

I think no one will be able to claim that third parties aren't biased against Nintendo if it is on PS4.

Because there's simply no way that a PS4 DQ game will make as much profit on the 3DS. I'm sure people will try to bring "The West" argument into this debate, but they're ignoring the fact that DQ has never been big in the West and MH4U on the 3DS is the fastest selling MH game in the West to date. So it's not like third party games in the West are doomed to fail on the 3DS...

And if it's on the Wii U then? It'd still make more money on the 3DS, but bias is obviously not the reason.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Samus Aran said:

I think no one will be able to claim that third parties aren't biased against Nintendo if it is on PS4.

Because there's simply no way that a PS4 DQ game will make as much profit on the 3DS. I'm sure people will try to bring "The West" argument into this debate, but they're ignoring the fact that DQ has never been big in the West and MH4U on the 3DS is the fastest selling MH game in the West to date. So it's not like third party games in the West are doomed to fail on the 3DS...

And if it's on the Wii U then? It'd still make more money on the 3DS, but bias is obviously not the reason.

The idea that S-E is biased against Nintendo is ludicrous. They have supported the 3DS like few other third parties out there. But because this game might not come out for a Nintendo console, they're biased?

Give me a break.

Teeqoz said:
Samus Aran said:

And if it's on the Wii U then? It'd still make more money on the 3DS, Tbut bias is obviously not the reason.

Then I'd be wrong, but I doubt I will be wrong. :p

Wii U exclusive would be even dumber than PS4 exclusive though, unless you mean multiplat.

Hynad said:
Teeqoz said:

The idea that S-E is biased against Nintendo is ludicrous. They have supported the 3DS like few other third parties out there. But because this game might not come out for a Nintendo console, they're biased?

Give me a break.

I wouldn't call Bravely Default (one terrible game) and some DQ ports support "like few other third parties". It's actually quite terrible if you realize how big the company is, especially in Japan, where the 3DS dominates.

Angelv577 said:
darkknightkryta said:

Dragon Quest sells itself.  By your reasoning putting Monster Hunter on the 3DS was a bad idea because the fanbase was on Sony consoles.

You would have a better argument if you have said that it's pointless to make monster hunter on console because the fanbase are on handheld.  If their vision is on handheld, 3DS is the logical reason right now but if they plan to make the game on console, ps4 is the logical reason in this case.  Still, I don't understand why they don't consider a ps4/Wii U multiplatform release.

Like I said, it sells itself.  Monster Hunter 4 would have sold what it sold on the PS Vita, PS3, PS4, or Wii U.  Same with Dragon Quest.  It will sell its 3 million on whatever platform.  That is just one argument.  The second is as you say; Horii wants it on a console, which leaves PS3, PS4, Wii U and Xbox One.  Xbox One is out of the question barring a Square Enix buying offer for the title.  Wii U isn't a choice considering Nintendo is bringing the axe to it (3DS as well considering the third party titles PS Vita vs 3DS in Japan in the immediate future and Nintendo's own efforts).  Which leaves PS3 or PS4.  Nintendo's future platform is a wild card and I'm sure Horii wants the game out sooner than later.

celador said:
Aerys said:
celador said:
Samus Aran said:
celador said:

Ah, I missed that. Hopefully it does drop next year, at least in japan

It could do in the west too, they shared many times their strong will to expand the game to the west, so a wordwide release, or close to, would be the best way to do it

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m