By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Project Cars for Wii U Officially Cancelled

Aielyn said:
Ka-pi96 said:
False advertising? They aren't selling a product, they are selling an investment. Investments don't always work out the way you want them to...

Once again, I'm sorry, but you're wrong. They're selling a product. If it was an investment, you'd get returns on the investment. This is a product - "pledge $x, get y reward". Not "pledge $x, get y% cut of profits" or "pledge $x, get $x*y in return if the game achieves a certain profit". It's a product.

And "false advertising" also covers services, including investments. It's how people can sue someone who sells fake investment properties, for instance.

When they got their funding it was for a share of the profits as part of the ROI. Wasn't it also PC exclusive at that point? They were investigated by the Inland Revenue due to the way the scheme ran.

At no point did anyone pledge any money for a WiiU version so no one has been conned out of anything.

It is actually the investors in the project who took decisions todrop platforms etc through voting.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
Aielyn said:
Cobretti2 said:
bunchanumbers said:
I won't be touching it when it launches for NX. I wanted this for Wii U, not years later on a different system. They can go to hell for all that I care now. I won't be buying Project Cars 2 either.

look it is a shitty situation and I am not happy but I rather the game worked well than be released broken at 20fps.

You do realise that they could just scale back in appropriate places, right? Halve the number of polygons in each model, use a simpler friction model, etc. If they had it running well on the Wii U two years ago (as they claimed, over and over again, back then), then they could simply cut back on the extra details that were added after that.

It's not like racing games are only possible if you have sufficient power (in other words, this isn't like Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop, where the Wii couldn't handle the kinds of numbers of zombies on screen without sacrificing far too much in terms of behaviour). They had three options - release a broken mess, don't release anything... or make some sensible cutbacks in order to ensure that the game runs well and is fun.

And heck, they could have finished off the Wii U version early, released it in early 2014, then released XBO/PS4 versions (which weren't even part of the original crowdfunding campaign) a year later as "definitive" versions, with people double-dipping on them. People were plenty excited for Project CARS U back when it was first shown, and were more than happy with the graphics as they looked at the time.

I know they could scale back but people would always complain that it doesn't look great. Then they would blame that for not buying it.

Even if definitive versions come out peopel woudl the whinge how they got ripped of buying the WIi U version and that they will never support them again on future games in the series. 

The sad reality is the Wii U is dead may as well save it for NX launch and give reason to buy the system. Also who is to say that Nintendo did not approach them and told them to do just that? After all NX will need a HUGE launch arrray of games to entice buyers or it will end up Wii U 2.0 again.

A many years old port of a game isn't a reason to buy the system. Especially since they betrayed the fanbase to do so and even when they are working on the sequel to this years old port. Its like a slap in the face to NX owners and its like they are disprespecting Nintendo fans across 2 generations.

It's schoking since some Wii U owners backed this thing and at the beginning, it was only for WiiU/PC.

The most interesting thing in this news is the confirmation NX will be home console since they wait for it.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Honestly while it's shitty for those people that did want it on Wii U you have to have seen this coming anyway.

The Wii U is very under powered compared to the PS4 and Xbox One, and come on, it's not like the game was going to sell well on the Wii U anyway. Every other third party game didn't sell too well on the Wii U so why would this one be any different.

Even if they were to take the time and resources to find a version they can get running on the Wii U, it wouldn't even be worth it for them in the end because it most likely was not going to make them a profit on the Wii U.

I'm sure that if the Wii U, despite being the weakest console of the 8th gen, was selling very well like the original Wii then the developers probably wouldn't mind having to downgrade since they would most likely still make a profit but it's a different situation for the Wii U because the Wii U isn't selling too well.

Ka-pi96 said:
Aielyn said:
Ka-pi96 said:
False advertising? They aren't selling a product, they are selling an investment. Investments don't always work out the way you want them to...

Once again, I'm sorry, but you're wrong. They're selling a product. If it was an investment, you'd get returns on the investment. This is a product - "pledge $x, get y reward". Not "pledge $x, get y% cut of profits" or "pledge $x, get $x*y in return if the game achieves a certain profit". It's a product.

And "false advertising" also covers services, including investments. It's how people can sue someone who sells fake investment properties, for instance.

You do get returns on the investment, a copy of the game if it releases and all of the other stuff they've been able to add into it thanks to any additional funds they received.

Not only that, you actually get returns on investment in the form of profit sharing. This isn't a kickstarter project just because it uses a form of crowd funding. 

People who backed the game actually made money. Spending time and money making a wii u version could threaten that.

Around the Network

Is anyone actually surprised by this news? It's been on the cards forever and I doubt anyone seriously expected it to be released...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I remember when people where using this game as an exemple of why the wii U isn't weak. In the end they didn't make it because the wii U is too weak what a shame

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

bananaking21 said:
not a surprise. The WiiU has weak hardware, they simply couldnt make the game run on it.

I doubt that's true. Surely they could have scaled it back to resemble other 7th gen racers. Maybe they could even remove some features to simplify the process.

The real issue is... why bother? It would take a lot of effort to scale those games back to run well on 7th gen and Wii U, but the sales most likely wouldn't be worth while.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Not surprising.

Who knows why I'm not surprised.

Better for Nintendo they focus more on 3rd party support next Gen.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.