By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Project Cars for Wii U Officially Cancelled

Ka-pi96 said:
Mr.Playstation said:

I'm sure that a WII U owner is going to sue them. This really isn't fair for people that paid the money.

If anybody sues them they are just an idiot wasting their own money on legal fees for a case they haven't got a chance of winning.

From the original crowd funding page

PROJECT CARS is due for release on the following platforms...
Wii U PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Steam OS

It merely says 'due for release', there is no guarantee that it actually will release.

... erm, you do realise that it has been well-and-truly updated since the original crowd funding campaign, right? Xbox One didn't even have a name in 2012, when the campaign was happening. It was announced as coming to PC, Wii U, PS3, and Xbox 360. It wasn't until the end of 2013 that they dropped the 360/PS3 versions and announced XBO/PS4 versions.

The original crowdfunding campaign's overview of the game:

Around the Network

I'm sure they learned a valuable lesson from this. Never announce a multi-platform game for a Nintendo platform. If it turns out you can scale it back enough to make it run decently later on then you can always throw in a surprise announcement and Nintendo fans will be happy. Until then, though, just pretend Nintendo does not exist.

traveler72 said:
ninjapirate42 said:
It's a shame but if it was dropped for 360 and PS3 I'm not surprised.
But it did look very good from the early videos that I had watched, would have most likely picked this one up.

What does ps360 cancellation has to do with Wii U? the wii u is much more powerfull than those.

No it really isn't.  It is maybe 50 percent more powerful TOPS.  This basically means any differences from the PS360 would be minimal.  They really were a gen behind in tech with the WiiU.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Can't blame them really, They didn't want to butcher their game at any cost just to make it fit on wii u.

Ka-pi96 said:
That's what I was looking for! Hard to find since most searches for it go to the PCars 2 crowdfunding site now instead.

But regardless, it was never guaranteed to release on Wii U or any other platform for that matter. Crowdfunding games never are guaranteed, people putting their money in to them are taking a risk on it.

And that means we shouldn't be calling them out on it? That there isn't grounds for false advertising?

You're wrong, in short. There may be no guarantee, but there's certainly consumer protections still at play.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
False advertising? They aren't selling a product, they are selling an investment. Investments don't always work out the way you want them to...

Once again, I'm sorry, but you're wrong. They're selling a product. If it was an investment, you'd get returns on the investment. This is a product - "pledge $x, get y reward". Not "pledge $x, get y% cut of profits" or "pledge $x, get $x*y in return if the game achieves a certain profit". It's a product.

And "false advertising" also covers services, including investments. It's how people can sue someone who sells fake investment properties, for instance.

Not shocking but people who supported the wii u version should be really mad

The WiiU hardware was a joke. Only 1GB of ram is available for games since the other one is used entirely by the OS. Not to mention the god awful CPU.

The good thing is Nintendo can learn from their mistake. The Wii made them so much money and the company wasn't worried about strong hardware, now with the WiiU failures and total lack of 3rd party support . Nintendo will have to do better with NX.

Aielyn said:
Cobretti2 said:
bunchanumbers said:
I won't be touching it when it launches for NX. I wanted this for Wii U, not years later on a different system. They can go to hell for all that I care now. I won't be buying Project Cars 2 either.

look it is a shitty situation and I am not happy but I rather the game worked well than be released broken at 20fps.

You do realise that they could just scale back in appropriate places, right? Halve the number of polygons in each model, use a simpler friction model, etc. If they had it running well on the Wii U two years ago (as they claimed, over and over again, back then), then they could simply cut back on the extra details that were added after that.

It's not like racing games are only possible if you have sufficient power (in other words, this isn't like Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop, where the Wii couldn't handle the kinds of numbers of zombies on screen without sacrificing far too much in terms of behaviour). They had three options - release a broken mess, don't release anything... or make some sensible cutbacks in order to ensure that the game runs well and is fun.

And heck, they could have finished off the Wii U version early, released it in early 2014, then released XBO/PS4 versions (which weren't even part of the original crowdfunding campaign) a year later as "definitive" versions, with people double-dipping on them. People were plenty excited for Project CARS U back when it was first shown, and were more than happy with the graphics as they looked at the time.

I know they could scale back but people would always complain that it doesn't look great. Then they would blame that for not buying it.

Even if definitive versions come out peopel woudl the whinge how they got ripped of buying the WIi U version and that they will never support them again on future games in the series. 

The sad reality is the Wii U is dead may as well save it for NX launch and give reason to buy the system. Also who is to say that Nintendo did not approach them and told them to do just that? After all NX will need a HUGE launch arrray of games to entice buyers or it will end up Wii U 2.0 again.

I still think that, if the WiiU had x2+ it's current install base, this version of the game would be available and running perfectly fine(but not as cutting edge).

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)