By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU has surpassed the Dreamcast is the United States.

AlfredoTurkey said:

Interesting because in 10 years, the Wii-U will be as sought after and worshiped as the Dreamcast.

funny you say that, Dreamcast systems generally don't go for any more than some of their peers (Gamecube and Xbox system + controller sets). it also doesn't have a library of games full of particularly high priced collectable ones, a handful (Cannon, Power Stone, etc.)

at any rate I'm not sure this is a stat I would be bragging about! after all the Dreamcast = death of Sega practically

Around the Network

Good job Wii U!

See this is why VGChartz is infuriating sometimes, because anyone can post fake news and everyone believes it.

But what you have to realize is that the Wii U was released in all the major markets at roughly the same time. The Dreamcast had a staggered release. The global market affects the domestic market.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

How many months into is life was Dreamcast discontinued?

Around the Network
mountaindewslave said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Interesting because in 10 years, the Wii-U will be as sought after and worshiped as the Dreamcast.

funny you say that, Dreamcast systems generally don't go for any more than some of their peers (Gamecube and Xbox system + controller sets). it also doesn't have a library of games full of particularly high priced collectable ones, a handful (Cannon, Power Stone, etc.)

at any rate I'm not sure this is a stat I would be bragging about! after all the Dreamcast = death of Sega practically

I just meant demand will be equal. People didn't buy the Dreamcast when it was on the market. I did, and I was there when everyone else around me was mocking the damn thing. No one cared or wanted it. It was all PS2, all the time. Flash forward a decade and now, all of a sudden, people almost chant the Dreamcasts name when you show them one. I'm always like... you know... if you people would have felt this way back in 2000, maybe Sega would still be making consoles.

People are going to have the exact same response to Wii-U in 2025. People will praise it as a misunderstood console with a killer library of games and it'll attain cult status. And, I'm sure I'll be there saying the same thing I now say about the Dreamcast lol

AlfredoTurkey said:

Haha no it won't!  The Dreamcast was the last Sega console, this is simply Nintendo's worst.  Maybe it will be a collector's item, but not close to the Dreamcast.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

ZhugeEX said:
See this is why VGChartz is infuriating sometimes, because anyone can post fake news and everyone believes it.

Out of interest which bit is fake?

Why single out US if we're using VGC numbers... according to them Wii U has surpassed Dreamcast in every region

Eddie_Raja said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Haha no it won't!  The Dreamcast was the last Sega console, this is simply Nintendo's worst.  Maybe it will be a collector's item, but not close to the Dreamcast.

It's already happening....

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/17/nintendo-wii-u-love/