By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU has surpassed the Dreamcast is the United States.

Wman1996 said:

But what you have to realize is that the Wii U was released in all the major markets at roughly the same time. The Dreamcast had a staggered release. The global market affects the domestic market.

Also that the Dreamcast was discontinued after only a year and a half, while WiiU is coming up on three years.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
Nogamez said:
ZhugeEX said:
See this is why VGChartz is infuriating sometimes, because anyone can post fake news and everyone believes it.

Out of interest which bit is fake?

The Dreamcast LTD total for worldwide sales posted in the OP and in a post later by the same OP
The total of Dreamcasts sold in the USA as stated in the OP
The fact that the Wii U has surpassed the Dreamcast in sales in the USA. 

Metallox said:
KyleeStrutt said:

On the software side WiiU is also fairing much better, as the Dreamcast had only one million seller while the WiiU has at the very least 5, with its best selling title, Mario Kart 8, having sold twice as much as the Dreamcast's best seller, Sonic Adventure.

WiiU had already surpassed the Dreamcast worldwide sales as its sold 9.54m as of March 31st 2015 while the Dreamcast had sold less than 9.20m during its entire lifetime.

Can you pass me sources of these? I knew Dreamcast sold 9.13 million units, but not about the first statement. 

i think he's talking about NPD but even then i think NFL did a million.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Kotastic said:
It's not really worth celebrating :/

johnsobas said:
Metallox said:

Can you pass me sources of these? I knew Dreamcast sold 9.13 million units, but not about the first statement. 

i think he's talking about NPD but even then i think NFL did a million.

Only 1 dreamcast game shipped more than 1 million units in the US. 

NFL2k and Crazy Taxi were very very close though. 

Around the Network

AlfredoTurkey said:
mountaindewslave said:

funny you say that, Dreamcast systems generally don't go for any more than some of their peers (Gamecube and Xbox system + controller sets). it also doesn't have a library of games full of particularly high priced collectable ones, a handful (Cannon, Power Stone, etc.)

at any rate I'm not sure this is a stat I would be bragging about! after all the Dreamcast = death of Sega practically

I just meant demand will be equal. People didn't buy the Dreamcast when it was on the market. I did, and I was there when everyone else around me was mocking the damn thing. No one cared or wanted it. It was all PS2, all the time. Flash forward a decade and now, all of a sudden, people almost chant the Dreamcasts name when you show them one. I'm always like... you know... if you people would have felt this way back in 2000, maybe Sega would still be making consoles.

People are going to have the exact same response to Wii-U in 2025. People will praise it as a misunderstood console with a killer library of games and it'll attain cult status. And, I'm sure I'll be there saying the same thing I now say about the Dreamcast lol

I think you are generalizing things waaay too much. I have many friends who are really into gaming and many of them have heard about the dreamcast, but absolutely none of them are calling it a misunderstood console. In fact, I have yet to meet any live person say that the dreamcast was underrated.

The dreamcast was decent at best, but with the rise of the ps2 no one gave a rats ass about the dreamcast. Exactly like how the Wii u is getting overshadowed by the ps4. Not because the Wii u is underrated, but because people prefer a ps4 over a wii u.

also, consider this. Back then, we didn't have the robust marketing media we have today (say twitch for example). Therefore, it was easy to miss the hidden "gem" known as the dreamcast. But at this point, everyone knows about the Wii u, and they know from a third party standpoint, from a technological standpoint, and from a social standpoint, the Wii u is the worst this gen.

People won't remember it as an underrated console. People will remember it as Nintendo's failed attempt to make another fad. The Wii u will be seen as a console that has betrayed the core gamer crowd (Just like the view is today for the Wii). Unlike the Wii however, the Wii  u will be seen as the console dumped by the casual crowd, thus leaving it dumped by everyone.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Haha no it won't!  The Dreamcast was the last Sega console, this is simply Nintendo's worst.  Maybe it will be a collector's item, but not close to the Dreamcast.

It's already happening....

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/17/nintendo-wii-u-love/

No offense but I don't feel like reading an article.  What does it say?

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

...is the United States what?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Eddie_Raja said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

It's already happening....

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/17/nintendo-wii-u-love/

Engadget/Joystiq is basically saying that the Wii-U is the best of the three consoles and they are profusely insisting that they were all dead wrong about the console and Nintendo was right all along.

In other words... Dreamcast 2.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Engadget/Joystiq is basically saying that the Wii-U is the best of the three consoles and they are profusely insisting that they were all dead wrong about the console and Nintendo was right all along.

In other words... Dreamcast 2.

Haha we will have to agree to disagree!  Overpriced, underpowered, no games, and launched a year too late.  That's my opinion and you are free to yours.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]