By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fire Emblem Fates over sexualization is really off putting imo (pics)

Hiku said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Anfebious said:

Final Fantasy has no sexualized females? Tifa, Quistis, Quina, Lulu? What the hell are you talking about? Sexualized females are a staple of the RPG genre. You just don't make an RPG without a hot chick.

I wouldn't lump Tifa, Quistis and Lulu in the over sexualized category. Tifa has big boobs yes but it's not over emphasized in the game, she wear a shirt that doesn't show any cleveage, it does show her mid-rift but that's hardly over the top. Same with Quistis, she's an attractive woman, her main costume shows her mid-rift but she's never put forward as a sexual object. The first Final Fantasy character I felt was sexualized was Rikku, especially with the intro video of her "stripping" and even more with her FFX-2 outfit.

Tifa has been one of the most famous videogame sex icons ever since FF7 came out. You don't have to show cleavage to be sexy.
Whenever the game was not in square polygon graphics, her breasts looked ridiculously big.

Regarding Quistis, in the early stages of the game, she played the sexy teacher role, and this scene was obviously made for that reason, to cater to the sexy teacher fantasy.

To me that's character design and the way both of these characters are handled doesn't put the sexualization to the forefront.

The sexy teacher angle regarding Quistis is a projection derived from a fantasy some players might have but the game doesn't really push that. The scene your gif comes from is basically her sighing because Squall and Seifer have been at it again, there's nothing sexual about it (unless your imagination makes it so).

For example, you could say Irvine plays the sexy cowboy role,  but that wouldn't be true because the game doesn't exploit the character in that way.

One thing you have to keep in mind is there's a difference between sexualization and over-sexualization. Tifa and Quistis are sexualized, there's no denying that but it doesn't cross the line into stuff like what is posted in the OP or that MSGV girl.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
ToraTiger said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Loll are you kidding me? FEA has Fire Emblem mechnics at its heart... The Core gameplay of the franchise is there with some added and decreased elements... FEA brought back a few things that the franchise had anyway. It had the map system from Sacred Stones, The marrige system from FE4 and a few other things. Yea it went a lot more fan service but that doesn't magically make the game not part of the franchise anymore... Thats just nonsense at best

He isn't wrong, all of the game felt completely different aside from the gameplay somewhat.  

Setting, characters, art, plot, ect.  All of it completely watered down and changed.

Well thats just subjective at that point... Yea it went a lot more waifu route but for me, that is not a bad thing. I like having these little conversations and waifus and etc and clearly, so do many other people. Yes its certainly not the best FE and yes, the direction of the franchise has changed a bit but FEA is stll FE at its heart. It is a lot more accessible granted but it also has the hard difficulty option for those that want a bit more of a challenge. Many would argue that things like the art made it more modern considering how different anime and cartoons looked back in the olden days vs now which is also very subjective

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Perhaps it's due to my lack of care when it comes to sexualization/violence in games and other forms of media/art -but I really don't see the problem. Sure, some of the characters are shown as "sexy" but in the grand scheme of gaming what it's showing is at about PG-13. Nothing really worth complaining over since you seem to be the minority in your opinion for this particular series, OP, if the games are as different as you've asserted maybe consider looking for a new SRPG series. There are plenty out there, FFT is good I've heard, for example.

Anfebious said:
DerNebel said:

What's happening is that tons of japanese games feel the need to put skimpy outfits and big tits into their games, Nintendo isn't an exception here, and I find the whole movement annoying as shit. Not because I'm some uber feminist and "worry about the objectification of women" or something, but because it bugs the hell out of me. I mean ultimately something like this won't stop me from playing a game but I still find the fact that I would potentially need to justify myself to someone seeing me play a game with fanservice like that very off-putting.

Didn't you enjoy Persona 3 and Persona 4? Those two have petty fanservice like any other modern JRPG. Do you remember the hot spring scene?

Expect Persona 5 to be the ultimate tits fest. They are saving the big guns for when the game releases.

You don't have to justify yourself, be a man and show the world you like hand drawn tits, there is nothing wrong with that.

I enjoyed Persona 3 and 4 and I know they had some fanservice, but it was overall pretty light, especially Persona 3 for which I really only remember the beach scene (but it's been long since I played the game), at least the characters in Persona 3 & 4 weren't designed and proportioned overly crazy to draw attention to all that stuff.

I expect Persona 5 to have some fanservice as well, but if it's as over the top as SMTxFE for example looks to be then I'll be extremely disappointed, I don't need that shit.

And finally I have no problem with hand drawn tits, but there's a time and place for everything and when I'm gaming then that's neither the time nor place for that to me.

Cloudman said:
Faelco said:
Captain_Yuri said:
I dont see any issues with it. Infact I love it!

One thing is clear though, the old way was not working out for them considering how much FE sales decreased with each iteration. Only after FEA did it once again start telling quite a bit and most likely, the fan service helped with the sales. So yea, I really see no issues with it. If the minority has issues with sex, oh well, I for one would rather take oversexualization over a dead franchise anyday.

I just hope NoA doesn't censor it like they did with FEA

Oversexualization or not, the Fire Emblem franchise as we knew it is dead since Awakening released. 

You can't say that Awakening and Radiant Dawn are 2 games of the same franchise.

Wait, how is the series dead? Awakening saved and revived the series. It's thanks to Awakening that we are getting Fates. And how are Awakening and RD not same games in the franchise? They are both FE games. Awakening has the core mechanic of a FE game, just with a lot more added features. It's taking the series and expanding it, which has been rather similar up until Awakening.

I responded in a previous comment :

Awakening compared to Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn? 

Crappy story (if you call that a story), crappy characters, almost all maps are wide open fields with nothing on it, no balancing in the difficulty, only "Kill all enemies" or "Kill the boss" objectives, no gold, items or XP management (unlimited with side battles), and no strategy involved in the entire game (pair up your two main characters, win the battle, and at the end you don't even have to pair them up, one character is enough). And I surely missed a few points. 

Nope, it's not the same franchise to me, it's more like the kid friendly mobile spin off.

Bigger audience doesn't mean better game, I think we all know it. Other games like Dark Souls could get better sales by putting more boobs and waifus, lighter colors, and by making the game easy and kid-friendly (less scary monsters, less violence, no need to try a fight several times...). Doesn't mean it would still be a Dark Souls game, and I don't think it would be great for the franchise. 

Around the Network

This is a personal problem.

TruckOSaurus said:
Hiku said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Anfebious said:

Final Fantasy has no sexualized females? Tifa, Quistis, Quina, Lulu? What the hell are you talking about? Sexualized females are a staple of the RPG genre. You just don't make an RPG without a hot chick.

I wouldn't lump Tifa, Quistis and Lulu in the over sexualized category. Tifa has big boobs yes but it's not over emphasized in the game, she wear a shirt that doesn't show any cleveage, it does show her mid-rift but that's hardly over the top. Same with Quistis, she's an attractive woman, her main costume shows her mid-rift but she's never put forward as a sexual object. The first Final Fantasy character I felt was sexualized was Rikku, especially with the intro video of her "stripping" and even more with her FFX-2 outfit.

Tifa has been one of the most famous videogame sex icons ever since FF7 came out. You don't have to show cleavage to be sexy.
Whenever the game was not in square polygon graphics, her breasts looked ridiculously big.

Regarding Quistis, in the early stages of the game, she played the sexy teacher role, and this scene was obviously made for that reason, to cater to the sexy teacher fantasy.

To me that's character design and the way both of these characters are handled doesn't put the sexualization to the forefront.

The sexy teacher angle regarding Quistis is a projection derived from a fantasy some players might have but the game doesn't really push that. The scene your gif comes from is basically her sighing because Squall and Seifer have been at it again, there's nothing sexual about it (unless your imagination makes it so).

For example, you could say Irvine plays the sexy cowboy role,  but that wouldn't be true because the game doesn't exploit the character in that way.

One thing you have to keep in mind is there's a difference between sexualization and over-sexualization. Tifa and Quistis are sexualized, there's no denying that but it doesn't cross the line into stuff like what is posted in the OP or that MSGV girl.

Well to be fair there's a reason why Quiet dresses like that.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Kyuu said:
Arlo said:
It's off-putting for me as well. Some people play something colorful and it makes them feel embarrassed to play it, like a kid. I'm not that way; what makes me feel like that is anime bewbs. It makes me feel stupid for supporting it, and to me it's indicative of a project that's traded any integrity for sad pandering.

The sexiness of this picture is beside the point.

It'll be toned down for the Western release, as Awakening and its DLC was.

Arlo said:
It's off-putting for me as well. Some people play something colorful and it makes them feel embarrassed to play it, like a kid. I'm not that way; what makes me feel like that is anime bewbs. It makes me feel stupid for supporting it, and to me it's indicative of a project that's traded any integrity for sad pandering.

I agree 100%, but whatever, if this sells more, what can we do? it's capitalism, Fire Emblem was going to die and Awakening saved it by turning it into a waifu breeding simulator.