By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo DS or Wii?

DS or Wii?

DS 71 61.21%

Wii 45 38.79%

Total:116

The Nintendo DS ans Wii are two halves of the most succesful period ever for a game hardware manufacturer. However, which one is better? I am talking in terms of games, gimmick and lasting effect.

The most important part of any console is the games themselves. That leaves the question: which console had better games? While both consoles are infamous for the vast number of shovelware that they have, it is very hard to deny the vast numbers of great games that came out for both consoles. The Nintendo DS had New Super Mario Bros., many Pokemon games, Ace Attorney, The World Ends With You, Mario Kart DS, The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass, 999: Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors, the list goes on and on. The Wii, however, was not too shabby either, with the Super Mario Galaxy games, the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, Wii Sports, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Xenoblade Chronicles.

The main reason why the DS/Wii combo was so successful was the innovative ways that gaming was played: the Nintendo DS with its second touchscreen, and the Wii with its motion controls. Which one do you believe was better utilized?

The final one is impact that the consoles had on the gaming scene as a whole: which one changed gaming more? The Kinect and PlayStation Move can be seen as attempts to cash-in on the success of the Wii, with the Kinect being a fairly big success. However, the XBox One version was seen as unnecessary and was quickly pushed out the spotlight. The DS's successor, the 3DS, has been a success, but the Wii U is struggling to remain relevant.

So members of VGChartz, which one do you prefer?

Around the Network

DS.

DS

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Wii, sorry DS but you don't have the Super Mario Galaxy games or Okami

Both the DS and Wii were such magnificent consoles in their own right. Most of the time I prefer handhelds, but the Wii messed up my perforations. As such, I wouldn't really put one over the other. However, some games in the same series such as MKWii > MKDS, SS > PH might make it seem like I'd lean more towards the Wii, but then the DS has piles of good RPGs that the Wii doesn't. It's a trade-off.

Around the Network

DS is my favorite of the two

DS was so much more of a revolution in portable gaming, and Wii just felt waaaay too gimmicky.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Id say the DS was vastly superior to the Wii.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

DS
Because Pokemon.

I had more memories with the DS than the Wii.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."