By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo DS or Wii?

DS or Wii?

DS 71 61.21%

Wii 45 38.79%

Total:116

Wii have good games but awful controls.

Around the Network

The DS had a larger quantity of exclusive content both from Nintendo and 3rd parties that made it great and unlike the Wii, Nintendo didn't botch its last few years.

Wii. Better Zelda, Mario and Metroid games, and it has my favourite Smash Bros.

Hiku said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Surprised DS is winning, I thought that was a horrible HH, not even close to how great the GBA was.

The GBA had two great Metroid games while the DS had one awful one. The GBA had one great Zelda game (The Minish Cap), while the DS had two awful ones. They both had one great Castlevania game, but I prefered the one on the GBA. Bowser's Inside Story is better than Superstar Saga though (but this one was the first game, so it gets bonus points for that). The GBA was the first console that brought us Fire Emblem in the West. Both handhelds had Pokémon games and Pokémon is pretty much the same anyway. The GBA had two great Golden Sun games while the DS had one average one. The GBA also had the last Wario Land in the franchise and it was a great game... The GBA also had some great Tony Hawk Pro Skater games which surprised me considering the limitations of the handheld.

I can go on for a while... And to think the GBA was only 3 years on the market when the DS was released.

The DS's biggest strength is its enormous library. If we only zoom in on a few select titles for a direct comparison, then the N64 library may sound like the best of all time. The DS was basically like a PS2. It had almost everything. So a few select games like Metroid doesn't make or break a system as it could on one with a more limited library.

The average gamer doesn't own 50 games, most don't even own more than 10 per generation.

I only care about what I consider the greatest games, not some slightly above average game or something. And for me, the GBA had much better games. Even the popular WarioWare series started on the GBA first.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Hiku said:
Alkibiádēs said:
Hiku said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Surprised DS is winning, I thought that was a horrible HH, not even close to how great the GBA was.

The GBA had two great Metroid games while the DS had one awful one. The GBA had one great Zelda game (The Minish Cap), while the DS had two awful ones. They both had one great Castlevania game, but I prefered the one on the GBA. Bowser's Inside Story is better than Superstar Saga though (but this one was the first game, so it gets bonus points for that). The GBA was the first console that brought us Fire Emblem in the West. Both handhelds had Pokémon games and Pokémon is pretty much the same anyway. The GBA had two great Golden Sun games while the DS had one average one. The GBA also had the last Wario Land in the franchise and it was a great game... The GBA also had some great Tony Hawk Pro Skater games which surprised me considering the limitations of the handheld.

I can go on for a while... And to think the GBA was only 3 years on the market when the DS was released.

The DS's biggest strength is its enormous library. If we only zoom in on a few select titles for a direct comparison, then the N64 library may sound like the best of all time. The DS was basically like a PS2. It had almost everything. So a few select games like Metroid doesn't make or break a system as it could on one with a more limited library.

The average gamer doesn't own 50 games, most don't even own more than 10 per generation.

I only care about what I consider the greatest games, not some slightly above average game or something. And for me, the GBA had much better games. Even the popular WarioWare series started on the GBA first.

I didn't say you had to own 50+ games. I'm refering to having a lot more to chose from. Because everyone has different tastes. And in that aspect, there's not much that comes close to DS and PS2. Which goes hand in hand with selling 150m+ units.
Though most of us here are not what you're refering to as average gamers who only get less than 10 games per generation, and the question was aimed at us, so I'm not sure why you're bringing that up. Especally when you go on to point out how you only care about what you consider to be the greatest games.
Speaking of which, you forgot a few categories between"Greatest" and "Slightly above average". Because there are certainly more in between worth caring about. Such as "Good" for example.
I think the Phoenix Wright series is good, but I personally don't consider it as one of the greatest. I think Castlevania: Order of Elcclecia is more than just slightly above average and worth playing if you're a fan of Symphony of the Night, but it's not among the greatest either.
One of the games I consider the greatest on the system is 999. But it's a game many people haven't heard of, let alone played. It's not as popular as Metroid or Zelda. But the more units a system sells, the greater the chances of games being made for it, and games like 999 appearing on the system.

One thing about a huge library is that you can some times find gems even among games that many other people never even heard of. For example, I really enjoyed playing the rpg Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch for two reasons. I actually had fun with it, and I liked that it added to the story of the anime, which I also liked. (In the anime you see a character speaking to someone telepathically, but we only got one side of the conversation. In the game, we see both sides of the conversation. Etc.)

What I value is not what I consider "the greatest games". It's simply the games I had a lot of fun with and consider worth playing.

I just don't like the direction Nintendo took during the DS era with many of their games. GBA sold similar numbers to the DS when it was on the market, it just got replaced very fast.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides