By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In games with a karma system, which role do you usually play? Good or bad guy?

Tagged games:

Good or bad?

Good 55 83.33%

Bad 11 16.67%

Total:66
Ultrashroomz said:

I know I'm siding Hoshido

You're just a casual and you don't want to admit it.

Around the Network

Generally good guy but I've recently gravitated to a neutral with some renegade. I'm not a fan of mindlessly slaughtering people or "the mission comes first!" but I just enjoy cracking skulls on people who just deserve it.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Risthel said:
Aeolus451 said:

I generally just try to choose whatever route that seems natural to me versus trying to be pure good or evil. In most games, I'll end up being the good character but in some games, I'll be the bad character. I think that the morality system in a lot of games is often poorly designed. Some games try to treat morality as if it's based purely reputation instead which isn't logical because because your reputation wouldn't be affected if no one witnesses the good or bad acts. Someone being a good person or not isn't a matter of public opinion. 

A good person is generally selfless and the act of helping someone is the reward itself. They shouldn't be doing quests or favors for others purely for rewards. They usually have good reputations by default. Sometimes, their actions can hurt others just as much as it helps.

A bad or evil person is ultimately a selfish person and do what benefits them the most versus helping others for no reason. It's usually the easier and most rewarding path. They can have good or bad reputation depending on how their actions affects others and how open they are with their bad acts. Sometimes, their actions can have positive effects on others.

That's actually a good analysis, thanks for sharing! 

Yes, karma systems in most games are too black and white, so it's easy to choose. If being good means not receiving a reward at all, then it could be interesting and challenging to see if someone would play as a good guy. I think one of the best system is the one used in Dungeons & Dragons games like Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment that has multiple outcomes and can prevent you from speaking with certain people of opposite behaviour (so to increase the replay value). I always end up as a chaotic good character which means I'm generally good but trying to look for a personal benefit too.

Thanks for the compliment.  I never played those but the system you're speaking of sounds pretty good. I hope that a few devs take a different approach to morality than the way the majority of 'em do now. 

Good...b/c the guilt would get to me :S

Aeolus451 said:
Risthel said:

That's actually a good analysis, thanks for sharing! 

Yes, karma systems in most games are too black and white, so it's easy to choose. If being good means not receiving a reward at all, then it could be interesting and challenging to see if someone would play as a good guy. I think one of the best system is the one used in Dungeons & Dragons games like Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment that has multiple outcomes and can prevent you from speaking with certain people of opposite behaviour (so to increase the replay value). I always end up as a chaotic good character which means I'm generally good but trying to look for a personal benefit too.

Thanks for the compliment.  I never played those but the system you're speaking of sounds pretty good. I hope that a few devs take a different approach to morality than the way the majority of 'em do now. 

You should really play those old school RPG! Start with Planescape Torment, it's one of my favourite games of all time, you can buy it on GOG for few dollars!

Around the Network

i usually go with the good guy.

though in The Witcher 3 (it doesnt have a clear cut path though) i am going with the "dont fuck with me or i will kill you, everything, and everyone" path. or the "how can i bang this girl" path.

I generally go vvith easiest or fitting vvith the character. VVhich 90% of the time is good. In Infamous for example i farmed good karma hardcore, but if civilians got in the vvay of my rampage then I did not care.

If a game like God of VVar had good or bad karma I vvould choose bad because I think it fits him more.

If it's clear-cut, I'll pick the "good" path, then possibly the "bad" path if the paths are distinct enough to warrant a 2nd playthrough.

With games like Shin Megami Tensei though, where the main paths might not be clear-cut, I'll pick the path I can relate to more. With SMT, that generally means the Chaos path, since I relate more to characters with that alignment.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

I always play as the good guy because playing as the bad guy emotionally wrecks me.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Good, it's usually more challenging.

True Crime was a pain in the ass as a good cop, you had to aim for kneecaps and non-lethal zones, where as a bad cop you can just blast away and power through levels.