By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In games with a karma system, which role do you usually play? Good or bad guy?

Tagged games:

Good or bad?

Good 55 83.33%

Bad 11 16.67%

Total:66

First run a goodguy run

second run evil as i can be

Around the Network

I always go for the Good option first, then Bad on the second walkthrough.

If given the choice, I'd like to play as Neutral first, but most games struggle to find a balance with it and I end up being good no matter what I do.

beeje13 said:
Good always, I physically feel bad doing bad things in games.

But for Infamous for example I'll do a second bad playthrough to see what happens and clean up the trophies, but I don't find it easy.

Same here. I loved Infamous: SS but it was really hard for me to hurt all those innocent people (street performers, advertisers, etc). The story didn't change much at all which was a let down apart from the last scene, which ultimately made it worth my time.

naruball said:
beeje13 said:
Good always, I physically feel bad doing bad things in games.

But for Infamous for example I'll do a second bad playthrough to see what happens and clean up the trophies, but I don't find it easy.

Same here. I loved Infamous: SS but it was really hard for me to hurt all those innocent people (street performers, advertisers, etc). The story didn't change much at all which was a let down apart from the last scene, which ultimately made it worth my time.

Yeah, in the original Bioshock too I tried to be evil and to kill the little sisters, but even if they gave me a lot of Adam I felt really bad. Maybe being evil doesn't give you enough rewards in most games? 

9 times out of 10, the "good" playthrough is actually canon to whatever lore the game carries (particularly for sequels, books, comics, etc). I'll play the "bad" guy on a second playthrough but a lot of the time I don't finish the 2nd run =/

Around the Network

On my first playthrough I always play as the good guy. On the second run I play as the bad guy. I don't know why but I have more fun playing as the bad guy.

Usually my first playthrough is evil and then I feel shitty (especially since most give you a bad ending then) and go back to replay on good.

I am Iron Man

I generally just try to choose whatever route that seems natural to me versus trying to be pure good or evil. In most games, I'll end up being the good character but in some games, I'll be the bad character. I think that the morality system in a lot of games is often poorly designed. Some games try to treat morality as if it's based purely reputation instead which isn't logical because because your reputation wouldn't be affected if no one witnesses the good or bad acts. Someone being a good person or not isn't a matter of public opinion. 

A good person is generally selfless and the act of helping someone is the reward itself. They shouldn't be doing quests or favors for others purely for rewards. They usually have good reputations by default. Sometimes, their actions can hurt others just as much as it helps.

A bad or evil person is ultimately a selfish person and do what benefits them the most versus helping others for no reason. It's usually the easier and most rewarding path. They can have good or bad reputation depending on how their actions affects others and how open they are with their bad acts. Sometimes, their actions can have positive effects on others.

Most of the time, but not always, I chose the good route.
If I ever go on and replay the game, I will always chose the bad route.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

I never pay attention, because kharma systems are stupid, shallow, and never fail to make every game they're in objectively worse.