By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So I just watched Zeitgeist

Ah.

Actually, you may be pleased to know the proper roots of "G-d". It does indeed originate in Judaism, but not in the Kabbalah. It originates well before "kabbalah" ever existed.

"YHWH" is actually the original spelling of "Yahweh". Original Hebrew writing doesn't have vowels in it - vowels were added around the 9th century AD. The Hebrew alphabet is a collection of nothing but consonants, and vowels are, instead, little dots and lines under and next to consonant letters.

Before these vowel symbols were added, the way people knew how to pronounce something they read was just out of pure familiarity. They simply knew that those vowels were part of that word, based on context.

Anyways, yes. The name of God is considered too holy to speak. Perfectly fine to write, however. When reading "YHWH", instead of saying "Yahweh", they replaced the vowels with new ones, and the "pronounceable" word was, instead, Jehovah (JHVH, when transliterated differently, would be YHWH, if you know anything about Eurasian languages).

In English, "Jehovah" isn't the everyday word for God, like it was in Hebrew. The everyday word for God is... well, God. They still refrain from speaking "Yahweh", and say the word "God", but then when writing, they censor "God" to be "G-d". I think some of them, actually, do refrain from verbally saying "God" and maybe say "Lord" or something instead, but that's not something I can be certain of.

It's goofy and weird, and I don't fully understand why on earth that makes sense to them. It just had me thinking you may possibly be Jewish.

That's all.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

Meh. There's a lot of interesting stuff in it, like the astrological symbolism in Christianity that most people these days have never heard of, but all the good parts are tarnished by the amount of dodgy and downright false crap built upon them.

Good for raising some thoughts, though.

I knew it was from way before Kabbalah, but yeah, I didn't know Hebrew lacked vowels and that YHWH came before Yahweh. Interesting stuff.

It reminds me of George Carlin's bit about "shell shock" turning into "war fatigue" and then turning into "post-traumatic stress disorder." It's the euphemism treadmill! Everybody hop on!

stof said:
Shams. It's been a little while since I've seen it, but if I recall correctly it's basically three parts.

Part one - all religions ever made are all exactly the same and in reference to astrology. A lot of the facts in this section are made up. They also never attempt to say who it is managed to design every single world religion around these specific tenants of astrology.

Part two - Typical September Eleventh conspiracy. There isn't a single thing here that hasn't been exposed as the poppyest of cock from half a dozen other internet documentaries. This is by far the least interesting/most offensive section of the film.

Part three - fairly common world government conspiracy stuff. Nafta Highway, international agreements. Mostly just taking a lot of things out of context. Implies we're all about 2 years away from living in a single totalitarian regime.

So all in all. Fairly normal internet stuff.

Ehh, ok.

I guess my first reaction and main comment is: how/why do they manage to sow these three things together? At least (1) with (2) & (3)?

With all the issues the governments of the world have agreeing with each other on BASIC things - there is ZERO chance of any sort of global, multinational conspiracy going on. More likely to come from a corporation point of view, and then it would have to be fairly recent - and restricted to only a few companies.

And re: (1) - it makes sense to most/all religions had some(?) elements derive from astronomy, or generally anything in the sky. I can imagine that eclipses, close comets, shooting stars (etc) must have scared the living bejeezus out of people 2000-10000 years (or more) ago.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Wow, I get home from work and see all my VG buddies taking a stab at me, real mature, I asked for thoughts not a flame, I was generally aware of a proposed negative response from you guys, I also was willing to take in a counter argument because I'm sure much of the film can be questioned, such as the opposition, but it seems as though, as expected, 90% of Zeitgeist haters are religious and instantly hate the film based on it's attempt to rupture their beliefs.

I understand my attitude was off in my original post which would undoubtedly, now evidently, cause people to get on their high horse, but that was no reason to jump down my throat like that.

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:
I'm just glad to be part of a forum with such awesome mods that shut down this kind of crap while I'm busy enjoying my Brawling. Saved me an argument guys. Thanks.

@ArtOfAngles... shame on you.

I'd been told by some people to czech this out but kept forgetting to. I saw this thread title and thought "oh yeah, I forgot about that, maybe I'll finally watch that this weekend." Then stof's first comment totally front blocked that idea for me. Well, back to sangria and sweet sweet tasting Brawl.

I can't figure you out as a user, not just this post, but all of them in general, are you trying to be funny? I don't know, but you and your posting style is nothing of what it seemed to be when you rejoined VGC.

And you haven't even seen Zeitgeist? So WTF, watch the movie and make your own judgment, don't piggy back off a mod and assume his initial response to the movie would be that of yours, that being said after you reading the comments from Ben and Stof I guarantee if you do end up watching the movie, you will view it with a cemented attitude, excluding any possible open minded interest you may of had, had you seen it before reading other peoples negative opinions.
So either way, you'd be wasting your time to view it, resulting in you really having no place in this thread.

I'll reiterate my "Zeitgeist summed up in 3 sentences" post from the previous thread:

1) THE GOVERNMENT DID 9/11 and we have a few scintilla of proof which really doesn't stand up to the mounds of evidence stating otherwise but WE BELIEVE IT ANYWAY!!

2) CHRSTIANITY SUCKS!!!

3) Jewish INTERNATIONAL BANKERS SUCK!!!

..and add another:

4) QUESTION AUTHORITY (except for this movie which you shouldn't question at all because we have THE TRUTH)

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

People are waking up to the truth everyday that the Internet is a free community.

You may not believe everything in Zeitgeist, or even the majority of it, but it at least brings you out of your zombie-like state. You start to think for yourself, which is the real thing that you gain.

mr-money said:
People are waking up to the truth everyday that the Internet is a free community.

You may not believe everything in Zeitgeist, or even the majority of it, but it at least brings you out of your zombie-like state. You start to think for yourself, which is the real thing that you gain.

I, and many other people I'm sure, were thinking for ourselves long before viewing a woo documentary full of conspiracy theories and veiled racism.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

All the points, the similarities between religions, are all general. Like when it talks about the "Sun god" then Jesus being God's son, really. BUT OMG ITS SO SIMILAR. It wasnt in the language back then.

All it does is make general similarities that almost all religions have and make it seem like the same. Like Gods make miracles! They must be based off of each other!

I watched the first like 5 minutes of it and was disgusted because the author of it is an idiot.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!