By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So I just watched Zeitgeist

I like Ben's line: "You're led throughout the movie to question what you've been taught, so IMMEDIATELY you assume that this man's assertions are correct."

He points out a classic logical flaw... A may not true, therefore B is true.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

Don't take this from me as a Christian. Take this from me as a person that's studied and researched the topics on hand in Zeitgeist:

Do not believe what they try telling you in that video.

There are countless errors and assumptions made in that video, it's blatantly clear to anybody that's studied pretty much any of the topics in said video that he clearly didn't research the topic half as much as he claims.

Here's an excerpt from a discussion about Zeitgeist from another messageboard. I don't claim its infallibility, but it does demonstrate a great deal of why Zeitgeist shouldn't just be taken at face value.

The main ones being that none of the other gods (see: Horus, Krishna, Mithra, Attis, etc) ever lived, or at least can be proven to have lived (and I'd say that the vast likelihood's that they didn't). We know for a fact that the Man known as Jesus did indeed walk the earth. We have solid historical evidence.

Additionally, we know that Jesus did many of the things He did for the very reaction people would have to it. He did what He did for a reason - He always had a reason for every single thing He did. Since people in those days were surely familiar with the stories of Horus and Dionysus, if Jesus did things that reflected many of the legends of those characters, people would naturally understand the claims He was making. It's common sense - you call yourself the Good Shepherd or King of Kings, you become a respected teacher at age 12, you get baptized at age 30 and begin your ministry, you turn water into wine, you die for three days then come back to life, etc. All of it specifically defies the other faith systems. There's a reason Jesus was known as the greatest teacher of all time. It's not for the simple message behind his stories - any simpleton can teach those. It's how He applied His teachings to His audience and ensured that the people He was teaching would understand exactly what He was saying and doing. His birth, His death, His resurrection - they all were to bring an end to the days of old.

Also, another thing that easily explains many of these similarities is that most of what the Zeitgeist movie mentions as similarities were prophesied many centuries/millenniums* prior. I think it's safe to assume that some of those gods were adapted from Jewish prophecies, thanks to the Jewish Diaspora that spread followers of YHWH all across the world (very literally - there's evidence somewhere of ancient Jewish refugees going as far as Japan).

Then, when Jesus gained such an avid following, supporters of other faithsets tried combating Him by altering their faithset to be the "original". They took their vaguely similar stories and reinterpreted them to suggest that their teachings were the first to make these claims. As it turns out, I'm fairly certain that the only way you can suggest that Horus did all those things and whatnot is to put a heavy amount of interpretation into the stories. Sure, the stories existed far prior to Jesus' birth, but when those stories were outrageously vague, what do you expect? It's the exact reason that people don't give Nostradamus a second thought - every single one of his "predictions" that comes true is enormously vague in wording.

Lastly, the "December 25" thing is something that all educated Christians can understand is not the date of Christ's birth, but rather the day earlier Christians decided to celebrate His birth as a method of combating and suffocating the other faithsets that were trying to imitate Jesus. Make it seem more and more like they're worshiping Jesus anyways (by molding anything you can without denying the Biblical teachings), and eventually, their teachings hold less and less impact. People stop following the imitations and more and more decide instead to follow what they viewed to be the Real Thing.

One last point: He claims Jesus was talking about "the next age", when Pisces' "age" is over and the next age begins - the age of Aquarius. He conveniently leaves out the fact that the term "aeon" - the one used in every Biblical reference to an "age" - was also frequently used (particularly in that time period and that culture) to refer to "eternity", "the world", and "the universe".

He also puts the zodiac in reverse order with the ages, which casts a bit of suspicion as well. Looks awfully like a pretty significant spin on the evidence if you ask me. With how much we read about "spins" on this site, I'm sure you guys are all well aware of how that works.

Point is, Zeitgeist does bring up some interesting points. But it doesn't present its argument in a professional manner whatsoever, and it most obviously has a huge agenda that it really doesn't do a good job of defending.

I haven't seen the rest, because after seeing the bull in the religion section, I've debated whether the rest was even worth the time of day. Maybe sometime when I get bored.

SW-5120-1900-6153

SleepWaking said:
Oh and BTW I do not have problems If you would just have attacked the movie BenKenobi88, but you attacking someone who believes in it is just wrong. that's why I got pissed.

Just like you're attacking what I believe in?  Not just my religious beliefs, but my stance on the government, and my belief that they did NOT set up 9/11?  It's my right to believe that.

And in case you forgot AoA said,
"I imagine there will be a lot of haters for the Movie on this forum simply because you're not willing to believe you've been living in one big fat lie your whole life."

My initial harsh tone was probably because of his own condencending attitude, the same attitude oh so many people get after watching a riveting conspiracy flick. 

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Has anybody seen both this AND What the Bleep Do We Know? I'd like a comparison of the two if at all possible. Man that movie was a fucking lulzfest of crap. It starts off with some pretty believable quantum physics stuff, and how there's infinite potentialities for every atom at every second, and turns it into this like self-help thing, where you can be happy if you focus on your infinite potential happy futures, and make them come true. So far still good science, and with kinda new age hippie philosophy painted on top, and then BOOM, at the end Ramtha comes out, this crazy chick who leads this cult, who believes that this alien G-d being speaks through her body, and she tells you a bunch of bullshit, and then you go to her web site and she wants money. It's hilarious.

I just want to know if Zeitgeist is that bad.

We actually watched that movie at school, and then we were supposed to think about it and bring questions to the next class. I looked her up online, found out about her other alien theory hoaxes that nobody fell for before she came up with this new Ramtha one... and debunked the whole movie the next class.

What's funny is one time many moons ago I watched just the first 2 minutes, and thought it was gonna be some crazy abstract art piece, and didn't even know it was some conspiracy mumbo jumbo until I saw this thread!

I haven't seen that video, but Zeitgeist is pretty awful nonetheless.

Side topic: Rubang, I noticed you censor the word "God". With that said, I'm curious as to your religious stance.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

What historical evidence?
The is one roman text with one line that say anything about a jesus.

want historical evidence, what about the bible first being made and taking in by the roman empore long time after, since now most of his ppl was follows of jesus now?

what about the bible being made by a committy long time after "jesus was dead", and why did they hold a meeting, becouse they coudt not agree on what was right and wrong, alot of ppl belive that jesus just was a normal man that help ppl and try to teach them to be good to each other, no mystical powers or son of god stuff.

Belive in god and faith is one thing, and is a god thing.
But using the bible as it has been use by men, that a nother thing.

I dont say that Christianity is all about getting power/money, but it is hard to get around that though time, Christianity has been use to get those thing, often by the ppl behinde the bible, priests and even the pope.

Wrong on all counts, Megagame. There are a number of texts referencing Jesus, including a Jewish historian (Josephus) that would've (given his religious stance) preferred to write absolutely nothing about Jesus whatsoever. Yet, he referenced Jesus anyways, since accurate history was his main objective. Additionally, there are the events of the first century. The mass persecution and murder of any followers of Christ. Given how much they were being killed, they would have HAD to have known that Jesus was a real figure. Given that their belief stated that he lived during their very lifetimes, they would have easily been able to know whether he was real or not. Considering that they continued with their beliefs, it's pretty safe to say that they most definitely knew that Jesus did indeed exist. Additionally, there are no texts referencing the group of crazy people that believed in this man that didn't exist even though they were being killed over it. Why are there no texts? Probably because Jesus did exist.

The committee that put together the Bible weren't deciding which books were right and wrong. The group that worked on it were concerned because there were countless gnostic gospels and other false works that were constantly being written and circulated. What the committee was doing was confirming what everybody had believed was true and holy, and making it official which books were God-inspired, and which were not. When that council was held, they didn't decide which books were going to be part of the Bible. They deciphered which books had always been viewed as part of the Bible from the get-go, and made it officially known that those had always been the true works.

SW-5120-1900-6153

thetonestarr said:
I haven't seen that video, but Zeitgeist is pretty awful nonetheless.

Side topic: Rubang, I noticed you censor the word "God". With that said, I'm curious as to your religious stance.

Oh, I picked that up a while back investigating the universal ontology hubbub of Kabbalah, and it just stuck.  I think it's awesome to censor just the word, even when it's not considered a name.  It's like they thought Yahweh was too sacred so they shortened it to YHWH, and then that was too sacred so they said God instead, and then whoa whoa, that's too sacred so let's say G-d now. or just "Him" and whatnot.

I'm an atheist, and an existentialist to boot.  I also doubt and question everything, including existentialism and myself, but all philosophical roads lead me back to existentialism.  I love this shit.  I'm so happy.

ok

so wtf is the movie about, whats the gyst of it ?

Read my last post mars.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.