By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U or Vita, which has been more successful/profitable?

Wii U or Vita

Vita has 2 million more sales 63 27.04%

Wii U has 2 games enterin... 137 58.80%

see results 31 13.30%

other, post below 2 0.86%

Total:233

In the video game business, you do not make money from the hardware. You make money from the software. The Wii U is far more profitable (or should I say, lost less money) than the Vita. Not only the Wii U had very strong software sales for its install base, but the big hitters were all from Nintendo. So they made all of the money, not just a cut of it (which Sony gets from its third parties).

Edit: And I almost forgot about amiibos too!

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

Around the Network

None, but if you had to pick, I guess the Wii U.

nice

Pretty sure Wii U. While Vita's million sellers only sold around 1m each, Wii U's sold 5-2m each

The Wii U lost the least money, but the only reason you made this thread was to say that the Wii U beat the Vita after all.

Wii U lost the least money, but in the end, Vita won the race (between the Wii U and the Vita).

Softwarewise the wiiu, everything else the vita

Around the Network

Mario Kart, NSMBU, Smash, Splatoon, Mario Maker all selling 2-6+ million copies each probably puts it in favor of Nintendo.

ExplodingBlock said:
Pretty sure Wii U. While Vita's million sellers only sold around 1m each, Wii U's sold 5-2m each

Its pretty equal actually

vita = 40 million software sales + Allot more digital sales

Wiiu = 50 million software sales

Nintendo has clearly more first party and gets more money out of this but remember that every third party game is giving both nintendo and sony money its 11% of every game dueto royalties. So i would give the edge to nintendo but sony is still doing a lot of money too espacially for not putting any cost into devoloping games so its a lot closer than most people would think

I suppose Wii has lost less money than vita but both are failure.

I think the Vita is most successful in my context: The Wii U will negatively impact how consumers see Nintendo more than the Vita does for Sony in the long run. I'm not sure how that'll affect sales near or long term, but one will be scrutinized for more than the other and I believe that is more important than the sales/"success" of either.

Probably Wii U since it made profit from a few of its games.