By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U or Vita, which has been more successful/profitable?

Wii U or Vita

Vita has 2 million more sales 63 27.04%

Wii U has 2 games enterin... 137 58.80%

see results 31 13.30%

other, post below 2 0.86%

Total:233
daredevil.shark said:
None are profitable. Last year Sony "wrote off" PS Vita and PS Vita TV from its earnings. Wii U is also in same boat.

That was a one time write off for the legacy component's

IE: no oled screen, no longer using the proprietary charging port  the new board and unit is lighter and smaller nm scale Soc. Price reductions on entire unit/ unit build for Now 4 year old Arm Holding Design Cortex A9 component's is very cheap to produce now.

The new vita components are far cheaper and with lower production numbers/month they are sure to be at profit. Due to their cost of Arm components inside the PS Vita platform that has far cheaper cheaper components inside for one the cost in scale would not be as much because A)/arm cortex A9 SOC is still ordered in mass volumes but not by just Sony, no retooling needed for it, nor the design because the same Soc GPU is also still ordered in mass volume due to it being a SGX543MP4+ which again is not just Sony only chip ordered.

That one time write off does exclude the currency older unit no doubt but as for the new PSVita and PS TV  i would doubt it being built and sold @ a loss and excluding the units from being @profit now, its very likely they are @ a profit/sell per unit basis.

Now.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
gcube2000 said:
daredevil.shark said:
None are profitable. Last year Sony "wrote off" PS Vita and PS Vita TV from its earnings. Wii U is also in same boat.

actually no Wii U is in fact profitable

PS3 is also profitable. Its not sold at loss. But PS3 lost $3 billion in its lifetime. You cant use individual units price. R & D and many other facts needs to be added.

Which ones has Amiibos again? That one clearly won from a profits standpoint. And a big budget title release standpoint (even if most were entirely on its 1st parties shoulders). It's not even really a question of which one was more profitable. Wii U.

hentai_11 said:
naruball said:

source, please? If you're gonna use the word "fact" might as well provide a link or something.

As a happy psvita owner with zero interest in wiiu, I still believe that the wiiu lost less money. I don't think either has been profitable and they both hurt their brands (ninty homeconsoles and Sony handhelds), but Wiiu has been less of a failure due to first party games selling well.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/nintendo-no-more-wii-u-loss/

I reread it. Your right it seems to point to no losses on units sold.

I'm not sure which is more successful/profitable but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the proprietary vita memory cards

Around the Network

Vita is maybe less of a relative failure as it's coming off of the PSP, which did well enough but wasn't a DS or Wii. The Wii U is part of a long legacy of Nintendo home platforms - 3 of the 6 being the top-selling console of their generations. I wouldn't call either of them a success, but I lament how poorly the Wii U is doing in contrast to its excellent library of 1st party games.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

daredevil.shark said:
gcube2000 said:

actually no Wii U is in fact profitable

PS3 is also profitable. Its not sold at loss. But PS3 lost $3 billion in its lifetime. You cant use individual units price. R & D and many other facts needs to be added.

true. but i don't think the Wii U lost $3 billion in its lifetime. 

Random_Matt said:
Nintendo stated the Wii U was a loss making console from the start, with all the price cuts since the beginning, it must be a serious money bleeder.

pricecuts?

Vita hardware has never been sold at a loss to my knowledge. Sony were very stubborn in maintaining the launch price of the system through the early years prioritising incurring losses as opposed to grabbing extra sales. Even if the hardware itself launched being sold at a loss, the Memory cards will have helped eat that up.

Vita software has a very high attach rate per system and Sony haven't really invested too much in the software for the system, particularly after 2013, so it has sold more software and Sony haven't had to foot the development of much of that software. They are just taking their cut from all the third party software releasing on the system.

I suspect Sony have done far better out of the Vita than many will think. And if they can now keep it simmering on third party releases as it currently is, with no need to launch a successor, by the time the last software has been released for the console, I suspect it'll have been a slow burner, but certainly not been a huge financial black hole in Sony's figures.

Sony have also had a very low key marketing strategy with Vita. I'd be surprised if the entire marketing spend for the system and software came to much more than individual marketing campaigns Nintendo has been doing for it's big titles like Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Objectively : 

WiiU more profitable on first party

Vita more profitable on third party and more successful obviously

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m