By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U basically averages two "big" games a year.

Mario Maker, star fox, etc aren't big? But pikmin is?

Around the Network

For the record, here are my lists of what I think are "big" titles for the Wii U by year.

In terms of quality/size/whatever:

2012 - New Super Mario Bros. U, ZombiU, NintendoLand. If we're counting multiplats, Darksiders II & COD: Black Ops 2

2013 - Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, The Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, Lego City Undercover, MH3U. Multiplats: Rayman Legends, Resident Evil Revelations & Injustice.

2014 - Super Smash Bros. Wii U, Bayonetta 1/2, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors.

2015 - Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Splatoon, Yoshi's Woolly World, Super Mario Maker, Star Fox Zero, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water...maybe Devil's Third.

In terms of sales: 

2012 - NSMBU & NintendoLand.

2013 - Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3 & Lego City Undercover. Rayman Legends & MH3U also did well.

2014 - Smash Wii U, Mario Kart 8, DKC: TF, Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors.

2015 - Splatoon, Yoshi, Super Mario Maker, XCX, Star Fox Zero, Mario Party 10, Amiibo Crossing and Mario Tennis.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Goodnightmoon said:

If Pikmin 3 is counted as a big game than this year it has:

- Splatoon
- Mario Party 10 (is gonna be a million seller this year for sure)
- Super Mario Maker
- Yoshi Woolly world
- Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Star Fox Zero

And Fatal Frame 5, and Devil's Third. At least in EU.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I'm assuming by "big" you mean production value then games like Bayonetta 2 and XCX should be there.  If you mean big in terms of sales then Pikmin 3 shouldn't be there.

I suppose it's somewhat subjective, but i wouldn't personally consider anything sub-1.5 million a 'big' sales title, outside of specific contexts.

Er, 2 big games and several small games. We've grown used to it.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:

If Pikmin 3 is counted as a big game than this year it has:

- Splatoon
- Mario Party 10 (is gonna be a million seller this year for sure)
- Super Mario Maker
- Yoshi Woolly world
- Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Star Fox Zero

You forgot about Devils 3rd... it may not sell well but it probably is a "big" game in terms of budget. its a Triple A game.

WiiU has 9 million sellers according to VgChartz Splatoon will be 10th

Guess you coud say those count as "big" games

well.. even if that were true, its still more than what sony or microsoft are doing, right?

Id agree with you a few years ago but last year and this year has some big games.
Also depends on what you call 'BIG'.

-Mario Kart
-Smash Bros
-Bayonetta 2
-Hyrule Warriors
-Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Id agree Hyrule Warriors nor DK is that 'big' though.

-Splatoon
-Xenoblade
-Devils Third
-Star Fox
-Mario Maker

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

midrange said:

This is why I say that Xeno X and mario maker are the only "big" games of the year. You are free to disagree, but know that everyone has a different definition of what "big" means.

Well yes, I definitely would not call one game "bigger" than another game that had cost more to make, simply because its marketing budget was larger.

I'm also assuming you then mean that those are the only big games yet to come out this year, as the marketing budget for Splatoon appears to also have been quite meaty.