By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U basically averages two "big" games a year.

S.Peelman said:

I'd still say Star Fox is a big release for WiiU. 'Name' goes a long way as far as I'm concerned and Nintendo gives the game substantial exposure. I'd say production values are secondary to kind of light the end product is represented by the publisher, in this case Nintendo. Or sales too, tertiary even, because that's after the fact. If a new GTA flops, you can't really say "Oh, it was just a small game afterall".

They are making 'a big deal' about Star Fox, so it's presented as a "big game" (I would preferably call those 'primary releases instead though) to the world and that's what counts most in my book. Mario Maker is similar, the game probably costs next to nothing and the development team probably doesn't exceed a dozen people including Tezuka and Miyamoto, but they clearly are bringing it with huge fanfare and are trying to create huge hype.

Now there's where I would disagree with OP, because a lot more games than just two are brought as being 'big games' every year. There has also been Donkey Kong, ZombiU, Bayonetta and Xenoblade and Yoshi soon for example. They've been getting plenty of 'screentime' to justify calling them 'big releases'.

Well, name is a difficult thing to assess. Would you really call the kid icarus: uprising a big title since it has a well known Nintendo ip on the cover. Would you call fallout shelter a big title since it has fallout on the cover? Does mario kart not count as a big game because it is a spin off?

point is, things aren't so simple as putting a known title on a game and calling it big. There are various circumstances that go into it.

The thing is, star fox really hasn't had a huge title in a very long title (the last one being a remake of the n64 version). Starfox zero having the title of starfox really doesn't tell much to the average customer that has probably only heard of star fox through super smash bros and the "do a barrel roll" phrase. On the other hand, titles like gta (that has broken records), or destiny (huge budget), or pokemon (a center point of many childhoods), can get sales through name alone, since they have broken more records than starfox has in the last decade.

The level of marketing for mario maker is just on a different level than starfox. Just look at how almost 1/3 of the last e3 was spent on mario maker. The marketing for mario maker will most probably make it a 'big' title on the scale of mario kart, but I don't see that happening whatsoever for starfox. And while it may seem like Nintendo is making a 'big deal' about starfox, I think it's more that they really don't have much else to make a 'big deal' about. Devils third is gone, fatal frame is niche and may just be digital in the US. This leaves the wii u with only 4 retail releases left this year and practically no third party.

Around the Network
midrange said:
S.Peelman said:

I'd still say Star Fox is a big release for WiiU. 'Name' goes a long way as far as I'm concerned and Nintendo gives the game substantial exposure. I'd say production values are secondary to kind of light the end product is represented by the publisher, in this case Nintendo. Or sales too, tertiary even, because that's after the fact. If a new GTA flops, you can't really say "Oh, it was just a small game afterall".

They are making 'a big deal' about Star Fox, so it's presented as a "big game" (I would preferably call those 'primary releases instead though) to the world and that's what counts most in my book. Mario Maker is similar, the game probably costs next to nothing and the development team probably doesn't exceed a dozen people including Tezuka and Miyamoto, but they clearly are bringing it with huge fanfare and are trying to create huge hype.

Now there's where I would disagree with OP, because a lot more games than just two are brought as being 'big games' every year. There has also been Donkey Kong, ZombiU, Bayonetta and Xenoblade and Yoshi soon for example. They've been getting plenty of 'screentime' to justify calling them 'big releases'.

Well, name is a difficult thing to assess. Would you really call the kid icarus: uprising a big title since it has a well known Nintendo ip on the cover. Would you call fallout shelter a big title since it has fallout on the cover? Does mario kart not count as a big game because it is a spin off?

point is, things aren't so simple as putting a known title on a game and calling it big. There are various circumstances that go into it.

The thing is, star fox really hasn't had a huge title in a very long title (the last one being a remake of the n64 version). Starfox zero having the title of starfox really doesn't tell much to the average customer that has probably only heard of star fox through super smash bros and the "do a barrel roll" phrase. On the other hand, titles like gta (that has broken records), or destiny (huge budget), or pokemon (a center point of many childhoods), can get sales through name alone, since they have broken more records than starfox has in the last decade.

The level of marketing for mario maker is just on a different level than starfox. Just look at how almost 1/3 of the last e3 was spent on mario maker. The marketing for mario maker will most probably make it a 'big' title on the scale of mario kart, but I don't see that happening whatsoever for starfox. And while it may seem like Nintendo is making a 'big deal' about starfox, I think it's more that they really don't have much else to make a 'big deal' about. Devils third is gone, fatal frame is niche and may just be digital in the US. This leaves the wii u with only 4 retail releases left this year and practically no third party.

That is all irrelevant, because at the bottom of the line Nintendo is indisputably bringing Star Fox as if it is indeed a 'big game' regardless and one of the ones that is supposed to be on the forefront of the line-up of the year. They are positioning it as such purposefully, which is evidence that the publisher deems it a 'big game', and that should be enough for a definition.

We haven't seen marketing either, Mario Maker will probably get more of it but that doesn't make other titles 'small', that makes Mario Maker what I like to call their 'flagship' for the year.

S.Peelman said:
midrange said:

That is all irrelevant, because at the bottom of the line Nintendo is indisputably bringing Star Fox as if it is indeed a 'big game' regardless and one of the ones that is supposed to be on the forefront of the line-up of the year. They are positioning it as such purposefully, which is evidence that the publisher deems it a 'big game', and that should be enough for a definition.

We haven't seen marketing either, Mario Maker will probably get more of it but that doesn't make other titles 'small', that makes Mario Maker what I like to call their 'flagship' for the year.

Nintendo attempting to make something 'big' does not actually make that thing big. The way Nintendo is handling starfox is very reminiscent of how they handled The recent wii u Kirby game; and despite having a bigger franchise than starfox, the latest Kirby title was most definitely not what I would call a big game.

You seem to be comparing starfox to mario maker and claiming starfox is big based on that comparison. I am comparing both games to every other game coming out, and while I do see mario maker grabbing a lot of attention, I don't see starfox zero making much of an impact despite having the starfox name. If you were to call mario maker as big as fallout 4, most people will see that as valid, try calling star fox zero as big as black ops 3, fallout 4, or halo 5, and most will disagree with you.

This is unfair and wrong, in 2013 Wii U had TWO Angry Birds games!!!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!