By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft dropping the name 'Xbox' from more things (Xbox Music, Xbox Video)

Isn't this old news? I thought we knew about this a long time ago.

Anyway it makes sense to drop the 'Xbox' form music and video. This says nothing about the Xbox brand. The brand is worth billions and makes MS money, it's not going to go anywhere anytime soon.

Around the Network

Microsoft is in an endless cycle of rebranding, renaming, consolidating, and fragmenting their services. I've posted at length about this before. I absolutely do not understand it. It's so frustrating for employees, who have to deal with broken links and outdated knowledge base articles. I can only guess that they have some marketing wizard up there who has proven to the brass that this helps more than it hurts.

Microsoft is attempting to create a single ecosystem with Windows 10 that is compatible with multiple devices. Having their video and music services branded with the Xbox name does not make sense in this scenario hence the name change.

Aeolus451 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
I just think that Phil is trying to condense the Xbox brand back into a gaming brand and less an "entertainment" brand. That's all.

This. 

Thread/

That's old news like what 6 months it's been dropped... Hey i can even tell You it's Groove for the music service...

Completely irrelevant to the future of XBox gaming division...

But to be fair the console stand alone business is under major threat and in that space PS is in a way worst position technical that MS is no matter the sales of PS or XBO...

Around the Network
binary solo said:
I'm not really sure why they thought associating the game brand with movies and videos was a good idea. Even assuming 85 million active owners of Xbox 360 at its peak that is a tiny tiny fraction of people who listen to music and watch videos. So trying to appeal to non-gamer music and video consumers using a well known game brand seems pretty counter-productive. I can see why MS would not want to try to establish a whole new brand. But non-gamers really don't want to associate themselves with game brands. Game brands do not have any sort of cool factor outside of the gaming community, they have a nerdy-geeky, uncool factor to them.

But Groove? Seriously, a term from the 60s and 70s for the music app? That sounds bad too.

Indeed Binary-San. The 360 was a gaming machine first console before it was a reliable media system. Microsoft was bent on making the 360 a gamers first console and they succeeded (sans some Red Ring Of Death issues).

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Farsala said:
LemonSlice said:

What is this, the 70s?

Girl: What do you do for fun?

Me: Play video games.

Girl: Oh.

Not that all are like that,  seems common though.

OT: Good change, alvvays seemed odd to me that they vvould put it on music and videos. Be like putting Zune on gaming Zunebox or Zunegaming.

I'd say 20% of women I've dated or been friends (so women in 20s and 30s) with play games (excluding phone games which even they seem to view as distinct from console games).  

Honestly I rarely bring up games unless around gamers.  it has grown, but still no where close to literature, film, music or television in cultural saturation and acceptance.

AlfredoTurkey said:
I just think that Phil is trying to condense the Xbox brand back into a gaming brand and less an "entertainment" brand. That's all.

/thread.

Augen said:
Farsala said:

Girl: What do you do for fun?

Me: Play video games.

Girl: Oh.

Not that all are like that,  seems common though.

OT: Good change, alvvays seemed odd to me that they vvould put it on music and videos. Be like putting Zune on gaming Zunebox or Zunegaming.

I'd say 20% of women I've dated or been friends (so women in 20s and 30s) with play games (excluding phone games which even they seem to view as distinct from console games).  

Honestly I rarely bring up games unless around gamers.  it has grown, but still no where close to literature, film, music or television in cultural saturation and acceptance.

That's a very high proportion, unless you are including the likes of Candy Crush, Spider Solitaire and Facebook games. Women who are console gamers or own a gaming PC would be a tiny minority of women, even in just the 20s and 30s age bracket. I don't know any women who game like that, but I know plenty who play Spider Solitaire, and Facebook games. But those women typlically don't self identify as gamers.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

This is really old news and means that XBox will continue to grow as their gaming brand, nothing more or less. This started with the release of W8 and WP8, where everything gaming related fell under the XBox brand.