By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Trouble with Wii U Port of Mighty No. 9?

Samus Aran said:
Hynad said:

Mighty No.9 isn't meant to be 2.5D. It's gameplay is all 2D, and it's true to the essence of Megaman. 

When it comes to games going "by the formula", you can't really go with a better example than DKC:TF. It's a good game, but nothing to write about when it comes to pusshing the genre ahead. I have the game, so that must mean I know very well what I'm talking about. 

I don't care about Megaman and Inafune. Never did, most likely never will. 

Now, the way the game looks to you has nothing to do with the topic here. You're just bashing the game and the developer for no reason at this point.

Pretty much every level in DKC: TF tried to change up the formula, very rarely were levels too similar.

Mighty No. 9 is 2.5D but it makes poor use of it. Original Mega Man was 2D because 2.5D games weren't possible during that era. I fail to see how that is the essence of Mega Man, sounds like a poor excuse to not innovate in the franchise to me. They could do a lot of crazy shit with back- and foreground interaction. Every level I played in the beta of Mighty No. 9 felt the same and that's not something you want in a game. I gave plenty of reasons, you just keep dismissing them without reason.

I can describe most levels in DKC: TF with just a couple of key words and you'd know what level I'm talking about. Let's test it out:

- Giant squid (or is it an octopus, no clue lol)

- Bouncing jelly

- Inside the beehive

- Fruit factory

- Rocket and cheese

- Hurricane alert

- Forest on fire

- Breaking ice

- Minekarts and... saws?!!

- Excuse me, but where is the floor in this level?

- Popsicle factory

And most of those don't change the gameplay in any way. Just the setting. But that's beside the point, again. The way the game looks has no bearing in why the dev had problem porting it. The game is coming out on the PS3 and 360 as well, and they seemingly didn't have any problem with those ports. So the way the game looks has nothing to do with the topic. You keep bringing this up over and over again. You keep bashing the game again and again. What for?

Around the Network

The problem is they picked Unreal Engine 3 to build his game, I know this engine can support Wii U, but come on, how did they do PS.Vita and 3DS? Different engine or something?

Hynad said:
Samus Aran said:

Pretty much every level in DKC: TF tried to change up the formula, very rarely were levels too similar.

Mighty No. 9 is 2.5D but it makes poor use of it. Original Mega Man was 2D because 2.5D games weren't possible during that era. I fail to see how that is the essence of Mega Man, sounds like a poor excuse to not innovate in the franchise to me. They could do a lot of crazy shit with back- and foreground interaction. Every level I played in the beta of Mighty No. 9 felt the same and that's not something you want in a game. I gave plenty of reasons, you just keep dismissing them without reason.

I can describe most levels in DKC: TF with just a couple of key words and you'd know what level I'm talking about. Let's test it out:

- Giant squid (or is it an octopus, no clue lol)

- Bouncing jelly

- Inside the beehive

- Fruit factory

- Rocket and cheese

- Hurricane alert

- Forest on fire

- Breaking ice

- Minekarts and... saws?!!

- Excuse me, but where is the floor in this level?

- Popsicle factory

And most of those don't change the gameplay in any way. Just the setting. But that's beside the point, again. The way the game looks has no bearing in why the dev had problem porting it. The game is coming out on the PS3 and 360 as well, and they seemingly didn't have any problem with those ports. So the way the game looks has nothing to do with the topic. You keep bringing this up over and over again. You keep bashing the game again and again. What for?

Simple, nothing on this game seems to suggest it would be hard to port to the Wii U, except lack of talent, experience or determination.

And you react to the setting, so it does change up the gameplay. It keeps levels from getting stale. Mighty No. 9 has that problem with regard to the levels I have seen.

Samus Aran said:
Hynad said:

Simple, nothing on this game seems to suggest it would be hard to port to the Wii U, except lack of talent, experience or determination.

And you react to the setting, so it does change up the gameplay. It keeps levels from getting stale. Mighty No. 9 has that problem with regard to the levels I have seen.

Well, nothing suggest this to you when it comes to any ports for the Wii U. So... Please, tell us how the Wii U architecture works, in intricate details please, compared to all the other current platforms. I think the thread will be better once we're all on the same page.

Hynad said:
Samus Aran said:

Well, nothing suggest this to you when it comes to any ports for the Wii U. So... Please, tell us how the Wii U architecture works, in intricate details please, compared to all the other current platforms. I think the thread will be better once we're all on the same page.

Well they even use the same engine so I don't see the problem.

Look at Rayman Legends, gorgeous looking 2D game that runs on 1080p 60fps on Wii U. I don't know if the PS4/XBONE versions look better, but the difference is very small at least.

Please tell us why this game would be hard to port to the Wii U. It can't be the following:

- Engine

- Graphics

- Level design

- Size

- the amount of stuff that appears on screen at once

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Hynad said:

Well they even use the same engine so I don't see the problem.

Look at Rayman Legends, gorgeous looking 2D game that runs on 1080p 60fps on Wii U. I don't know if the PS4/XBONE versions look better, but the difference is very small at least.

Please tell us why this game would be hard to port to the Wii U. It can't be the following:

- Engine

- Graphics

- Level design

- Size

- the amount of stuff that appears on screen at once

So, I take it you don't know, since this definitely doesn't answer my request.

It seems like devs are using the 'Wii U is underpowered' more frequently as an excuse for their lazy porting, even though it does not make any sense with games like Mighty No.9, which does not look impressive at all.

they worked hard to make it as good as teh other consoles...

and this is a simple games.... Please Nintendo NX shoudl be bent to developers requirement.

Switch!!!

It just not everything will be perfect, there always be a problem, it's not about Wii U hardware or developer competent, and LOl at people who bashing the games look because of they having difficulty to port. Maybe if there is no report or news, then people will say differently

This is just the dev trying to hype the game as being cutting edge for One and 4 owners. "It really is a demanding game, honest! We could barely run it on Wii U, you need your One/4's full power for this 2D side-scroller!"