By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Source: NX "Is Definitely Not Aiming To Compete With PS4 On Horsepower"

I'm guessing it's a hybrid (dock able) home and portable that will support software specific to the system (maybe slightly more powerful than wiiu) and have a tablet form factor. I also imagine it has the added bonus of playing wiiu games (both at home and on the go- maybe digital versions of these games so no disc drive is needed) and ds games (also both at home and on the go). I also think it might act as an added controller for wiiu (but better with multi touch screen, added functionality etc) so you can use it as a second controller/screen if you already have that system.

But those are just safe bets. As far as functionality it still has to be unique to have marketability beyond the wiiu. Who knows what they end up making but personally I still think a very well done local multiplayer focused amiibo/toy based augmented reality experience would be perfect for them (tablet screen not head mounted). I can imagine a bunch of kids sitting around each other looking in on a virtual augmented reality smash bros battle/pokemon battle, etc, where each system acts as a window into the world and the toys/amiibos are the primary method of content delivery.

Around the Network

well it will competing with Apple Tab and Android lol, so Nintendo will make money more then SONY and Microsoft confirmed

wonder why everyone is just assuming its a console and not a handheld

That would make sense if it's a handheld but if it's a console then I seriously doubt that it will sell well.

It makes perfectly sense. They are going to compete with the behemoth of PS4, and the only way to do that is the price. And they can't get below PS4 levels with stronger And more expensive hardware.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:

Don´t know if the source is right but I´m expecting this and people should be expecting this.

They are aiming for a very cheap console that will probably be a handheld and a homeconsole at the same time.

People saying that will not get third party support because of this... yeah because underpowered consoles never get any third party support, run and tell that to the 3DS xD

Third party support actually seems to be stronger on the Vita. The Vita is getting a healthy flow of releases still, and it is literally all third party. Every last bit of it. On the other hand, the 3DS's third party library is comparatively weak when compared to the Vita, and especially when compared to the DS and PSP. Even then, if you check out Metacritic's overview of 2014, they actually have more rated Vita releases than 3DS games with a higher average score for the Vita releases and less falling into the red for ratings. It's really an illusion that the 3DS is getting some kind of magnificent third party support. I own a 2DS myself, and of the six or so games I own, only one is third party. On the other hand, about a quarter of my near 20 game Vita library is first party, and the rest is third party.

Hey look another rumor about Nintendo's new console. Here's my prediction again.

New Nintendo console with overclocked Skylake 6700T processor and Radeon Fury Nano XFire at $350 confirmed.

bobgamez said:
wonder why everyone is just assuming its a console and not a handheld

every one already knew it would be a fusion (a console + handled = tablet as powerful as console (probably Wii U)), and Iwata already confirmed this.

ofrm1 said:
Hey look another rumor about Nintendo's new console. Here's my prediction again.

New Nintendo console with overclocked Skylake 6700T processor and Radeon Fury Nano XFire at $350 confirmed.

Sure you can but nobody will trust you because you dont have any history as an insider, Neo gaf member is  full of insider.

It doesn't have to be. It doesnt needs to pack a punch equal to PS4, but rather be a competent machine and has a Nintendo behind it that works towards promoting 3rd party products and getting them huge sales.