By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Source: NX "Is Definitely Not Aiming To Compete With PS4 On Horsepower"

Looks Unseen 64's sources got a little more legit, Zombi for PS4/XB1 has been rated again, so it looks like that is the real deal, which is another thing Unseen 64 called.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Dunban67 said:

How could you have upgaraded or even the same Wii U specs at $150?   even if you knock off $100 for the game pad your still at $250 or close

Wii U is currently $300, it could very likely get a $50 price cut this fall (I'm guessing in September to go alongside Mario Maker) bringing it to $250. Shave off another $50 by getting rid of the Gamepad so now $200. Wii U also uses exotic components that aren't mass produced making the console cost more than it needs to. All of this plus were looking at a launch 12-18 months from now and $150 really isn't out of the question for a device slightly more powerful than Wii U.

Removing the gamepad would only cut the price in $50 if they didn't add any controller in it's place.

Regardless. the wii u has been $299 since it's debut. It's obvious that right now, nintendo could be selling it for $199 without any software and $249 for the various bundles that include at least one game.

numberwang said:

NX-handheld with 720p up and 480p down screen (no 3D anymore). Similar to WiiU in power when plugged in the docking station, lower on battery power. 199$, maybe less.

NX-console is a docking station for NX-handheld with power, HDMI out, USB and SD-card for external storage and bluetooth for external controller. 49,99$.

All games in one "hybrid" platform. That's the gimmick.

WiiU will continue as the option for disc based content. All popular WiiU games are available on lauch for NX.

No powerful home-console until PS5 and XB2, maybe never.

I could see that happening. The only issue is with the public statements NIntendo has made to shareholders where they actually spoke about brothers as part of an ecosystem in a family of hardware. There have only been rumors regarding the fusion concept or some type of hybrid console where as we many public statements referring to a console or the NX as a console exist. Your idea, while good, is really speculation where as what I have stated where you have 2 platforms, but they are not necessarily identical but still similar seems to fit in with actual public statements. This can also be backed up with actions when you consider how similar the wii u and 3ds are, their experimentation with crossbuy, and even buying one game that interacts with the other piece of hardware such as Mario Tipping Stars.

hansrob00 said:
numberwang said:

NX-handheld with 720p up and 480p down screen (no 3D anymore). Similar to WiiU in power when plugged in the docking station, lower on battery power. 199$, maybe less.

NX-console is a docking station for NX-handheld with power, HDMI out, USB and SD-card for external storage and bluetooth for external controller. 49,99$.

All games in one "hybrid" platform. That's the gimmick.

WiiU will continue as the option for disc based content. All popular WiiU games are available on lauch for NX.

No powerful home-console until PS5 and XB2, maybe never.

I could see that happening. The only issue is with the public statements NIntendo has made to shareholders where they actually spoke about brothers as part of an ecosystem in a family of hardware. There have only been rumors regarding the fusion concept or some type of hybrid console where as we many public statements referring to a console or the NX as a console exist. Your idea, while good, is really speculation where as what I have stated where you have 2 platforms, but they are not necessarily identical but still similar seems to fit in with actual public statements. This can also be backed up with actions when you consider how similar the wii u and 3ds are, their experimentation with crossbuy, and even buying one game that interacts with the other piece of hardware such as Mario Tipping Stars.

If we technically look at the actual quote from Iwata from Feb 2014:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment.

Sounds like it was still very much in the air as to whether Nintendo would have multiple SKUs (even more than two) or even just a few as a singular one. 

Which direction they ultimately decided upon is a mystery to us right now. Maybe they decided to go the "brother hardware" route with multiple hardware SKUs, maybe they decided on one integrated SKU. This statement from Iwata doesn't discount either scenario. 

Just based on the way the Unseen 64 guy, Reggie and Tanabe have spoken about it, I'm starting to lean more towards one integrated device. 

Don't let this be true, Nintendo. We're all rooting for you!

Around the Network

Will do terribly unless it's $149 or cheaper.

I think this could do OK ... 

PowerVR GT7900 type GPU (or AMD equivalent), runs at full 800 GFLOPS when played at home (plugged in), automatically downclocks to 400-500 GFLOPS when played on the road. 

4GB LPDDR4 RAM + 32-48MB eDRAM

New controller. Yes it's a portable, but it also has a new controller for home play. Possibly the controller can also be used on the fly. 

Can wirelessly send a video signal to the television (the reverse of the Wii U)

6-inch LCD display (single screen)

Custom Nintendo OS, but runs a Android back end so Android apps can be ported very quickly, they can only be autorized by Nintendo, however, who gets a nice royalty fee surcharge on each download. 

$249.99 MSRP. Same launch price as the Wii, except you're getting a home console and a portable all in one. 

But I get the feeling Nintendo will go even cheaper on the GPU/RAM unfortuantely. 

Soundwave said:
hansrob00 said:

If we technically look at the actual quote from Iwata from Feb 2014:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment.

Sounds like it was still very much in the air as to whether Nintendo would have multiple SKUs (even more than two) or even just a few as a singular one. 

Which direction they ultimately decided upon is a mystery to us right now. Maybe they decided to go the "brother hardware" route with multiple hardware SKUs, maybe they decided on one integrated SKU. This statement from Iwata doesn't discount either scenario. 

Just based on the way the Unseen 64 guy, Reggie and Tanabe have spoken about it, I'm starting to lean more towards one integrated device. 

You know alienware is doing some interesting stuff where you can take one of their laptops and plug it into a graphics amplifier to create a desktop experience. Maybe the hub or port that you plug the handheld in it will allow you to beef up the graphics a bit such as higher resolution more foliage and some other stuff. LIke they will build the base game for the handheld and upgrade the graphics through that. Who knows? Even what I have said, though I think it is based on good sources, is still just speculation at the end of the day, until they actually make a formal announcement about the system.

GribbleGrunger said:
After all the clues in the recent slew of Nintendo comments, it was clear to me that this would be the case. Nintendo just don't seem to get it at all.

Actually it seems to be a portable console... there are android rumors, Iwata said that Nintendo will continue making Wii U games after the NX, there was a guy who worked on a mobile windows OS that is working on NX, and its gonna be less powerful than the PS4, and the 3ds is 6 years old....  Everything seems to be pointing in the direction of the NX being a portable.

Edit: it still could be a hybrid.

cuberandgamer said:
GribbleGrunger said:
After all the clues in the recent slew of Nintendo comments, it was clear to me that this would be the case. Nintendo just don't seem to get it at all.

Actually it seems to be a portable console... there are android rumors, Iwata said that Nintendo will continue making Wii U games after the NX, there was a guy who worked on a mobile windows OS that is working on NX, and its gonna be less powerful than the PS4, and the 3ds is 6 years old....  Everything seems to be pointing in the direction of the NX being a portable.

Edit: it still could be a hybrid.

There was also this job listing from Nintendo looking for a lead engineer for their next-gen hardware, note is specifically says that 

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/nintendo-hiring-lead-graphic-engineer-for-next-gen-31642882/

"Low power and SoC design experience would be a plus"

That hints strongly at a mobile system on chip.