By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Source: NX "Is Definitely Not Aiming To Compete With PS4 On Horsepower"

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

I understand the concern but at the same time, what's the point of having a vastly more powerful console variant when all or most games are going to be shared and not likely take advantage of the extra horsepower?

I'm starting to think it may just be one SKU, a portable type device that can wirelessly transmit a signal to the TV and maybe even things like your tablet (using a sync app). That and it ships with a controller/input gimmick. If it gets really popular, then Nintendo may make other SKUs.  At home it can be used like a party game device, and you can also pick it up and take it outside of the house and play on the go. 

To be honest too even if the console was "cheap" by our metric $200 isn't really cheap just to play the same games on your TV if you have the portable version already (which is likely to be far and away the majority of NX owners in a multi SKU scenario). 

That's actually fairly expensive just to play the same games in a different way. 

Perhaps they have a separate handheld and console each retailing for about $150-200 but they also have a $40 Chromecast/Fire Stick type of device that let's u stream the handheld to the TV. There should still be a TV only alternative for people who don't care for handhelds.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Eddie_Raja said:
Another last-gen console confirmed. Honestly unless they can sell this for like $150 as a go-to secondary console I don't see how this will do better than the Wii U.

There are a few rumors going around and if they are true than it will be a $150 device with upgraded Wii U specs and an Android-based OS. To me that sounds more like an Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV competitor than a Playstation/Xbox competitor.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

The way Reggie, Tanabe and now this Unseen 64 guy have spoken about NX, they speak of it in singular terms.

So that's why I'm kinda hedging on the multiple SKUs thing. If there's not going to be a big difference between the handheld and home variant in power, then you may as well just let the handheld stream games to the TV.

Maybe the portable + home nature of the device is integral to the gimmick/novelty too. IE: say you can pick the NX up and take it into the kitchen table and set it up so that the family can play there somehow. If it has a screen on it you can play in any room and maybe there's some novelty to it design to bring people/family together in any room. Sounds Nintendo-like enough. Stuff like that. 

Soundwave said:

The way Reggie, Tanabe and now this Unseen 64 guy have spoken about NX, they speak of it in singular terms.

So that's why I'm kinda hedging on the multiple SKUs thing. If there's not going to be a big difference between the handheld and home variant in power, then you may as well just let the handheld stream games to the TV.

Maybe the portable + home nature of the device is integral to the gimmick/novelty too. IE: say you can pick the NX up and take it into the kitchen table and set it up so that the family can play there somehow. Stuff like that. 

Of course they speak of it as a single device, because referring to them as multiple devices completely gives away the secret.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

Maybe the portable + home nature of the device is integral to the gimmick/novelty too. IE: say you can pick the NX up and take it into the kitchen table and set it up so that the family can play there somehow. Stuff like that. 

Of course they speak of it as a single device, because referring to them as multiple devices completely gives away the secret.

I dunno. And Reggie calling it a "console". Just makes me think. Maybe Nintendo was looking at multiple SKUs, but who really is buying the console SKU if its roughly the same as the handheld? 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

I dunno. And Reggie calling it a "console". Just makes me think. Maybe Nintendo was looking at multiple SKUs, but who really is buying the console SKU if its roughly the same as the handheld? 

Did he specifically call it a HOME console? Because many people refer to handhelds as portable consoles.

People who prefer consoles more than handhelds will by the console. Form factor is not the only reason why people buy 3DS over Wii U, price and game selection also are major factors and Wii U is about twice the price with a fraction of the amount of games.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

Did he specifically call it a HOME console? Because many people refer to handhelds as portable consoles.

People who prefer consoles more than handhelds will by the console. Form factor is not the only reason why people buy 3DS over Wii U, price and game selection also are major factors and Wii U is about twice the price with a fraction of the amount of games.

In Nintendo terms there aren't very many people willing to buy their console as is, the portables are overwhemingly more popular and if the portable can now play all the same games ... I dunno. 

I think there is a controller gimmick or some kind of novelty at the core of this design too, so perhaps it being something that can be moved easily around the house is part of that. Nintendo may have recoginized that just releasing another portable wasn't enough in light of smartphones/tablets, they need something else that makes it stand out, other than just "well you can also play these games on your TV". That's a decent feature, don't get me wrong, but it's not "OMG! I have to run to the store and buy this now" type thing. 

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

In Nintendo terms there aren't very many people willing to buy their console as is, the portables are overwhemingly more popular and if the portable can now play all the same games ... I dunno. 

I think there is a controller gimmick or some kind of novelty at the core of this design too, so perhaps it being something that can be moved easily around the house is part of that. Nintendo may have recoginized that just releasing another portable wasn't enough in light of smartphones/tablets, they need something else that makes it stand out, other than just "well you can also play these games on your TV". That's a decent feature, don't get me wrong, but it's not "OMG! I have to run to the store and buy this now" type thing. 

U completely ignored what I said. We have no idea if Nintendo handhelds are more popular simply because they are handhelds or if it's due to other factors like price or game selection.

If 3DS & Wii U launched around the same time, at the same price and with all the same games than its very likely sales wouldn't be in such a huge favor for 3DS. Instead of outselling Wii U by over 5:1, it may be more like 2:1 or 3:1.

That's something Nintendo needs to try before completely cutting off one side of their hardware. If NX Console sells 30 million & NX Portable sells 70 million than keeping around a console variant would definitely be worthwhile.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

U completely ignored what I said. We have no idea if Nintendo handhelds are more popular simply because they are handhelds or if it's due to other factors like price or game selection.

If 3DS & Wii U launched around the same time, at the same price and with all the same games than its very likely sales wouldn't be in such a huge favor for 3DS. Instead of outselling Wii U by over 5:1, it may be more like 2:1 or 3:1.

That's something Nintendo needs to try before completely cutting off one side of their hardware. If NX Console sells 30 million & NX Portable sells 70 million than keeping around a console variant would definitely be worthwhile.

If the Wii U ran games just slightly better than the 3DS, I think most people would buy the portable 3DS. What's the point of sacrificing portability if its the same games with roughly the same graphics. 

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

If the Wii U ran games just slightly better than the 3DS, I think most people would buy the portable 3DS. What's the point of sacrificing portability if its the same games with roughly the same graphics. 

U just keep going back in circles, NOT EVERYBODY PREFERS A HANDHELD FORM FACTOR.

What if u want to play games like Kid Icarus, Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Tomodachi Life, Bravely Default, Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Zelda remasters but u prefer consoles over handhelds?

What if ur a parent looking to get a gaming device for their young kid, would u choose the $130-200 hardware with $30-40 software or the $300 hardware with $40-60 software?