By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Source: NX "Is Definitely Not Aiming To Compete With PS4 On Horsepower"

Dunban67 said:
zorg1000 said:

There are a few rumors going around and if they are true than it will be a $150 device with upgraded Wii U specs and an Android-based OS. To me that sounds more like an Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV competitor than a Playstation/Xbox competitor.

How could you have upgaraded or even the same Wii U specs at $150?   even if you knock off $100 for the game pad your still at $250 or close

Wii U is currently $300, it could very likely get a $50 price cut this fall (I'm guessing in September to go alongside Mario Maker) bringing it to $250. Shave off another $50 by getting rid of the Gamepad so now $200. Wii U also uses exotic components that aren't mass produced making the console cost more than it needs to. All of this plus were looking at a launch 12-18 months from now and $150 really isn't out of the question for a device slightly more powerful than Wii U.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
hansrob00 said:
CrazyGPU said:

A lot of hardcore gamers, wont buy a PC.

1- you need a more expensive PC if you really want to see big differences in graphics.

2- Most parents that dont know anything about PC just go to the mall or supermarket and buy a console.

3- Consoles are more user friendly. you just sit on the couch or bed and press a button to play. On a PC you have to enter to windows, enter to steam, check drivers, put big picture, and then play, not so friendly in the living room.

4- You have to find someone that build a pc for you, else its very expensive.

a console is like apple iphones, very easy to use, not much to set up, almost like buying a tv.

And I dont get the point on buying a steam machine. I think its just better to buy a cheap pc to do streaming and that can play a lot more native games. 

A console gamer will buy a Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo Console, wont buy steam machines.

Now, on the power.

IF Wii U had the same power of the PS4, then a lot of third party will develop for it.

Also nintendo would be able to make bigger games and with better graphics diferentiating itself from mobile gaming.

Nintendo had once the most powerfull machine of its time, the Nintendo 64, but now they want to earn money selling shit hardware. It was great with the wii because there were no mobile gamers, they introduced the wii mote and they were selling Wii  at 250 USS instead of 500. Now its another ballgame. And if nintendo makes cheap hardware that compares to mobile, they will fail horrible. They are more concern about making stupid amiibos that had almost nothing to do with the hardware to play the games or the great games they used to make like ocarina of time. Its almost like making dolls for fanboys instead of making great platform and games.    

It it was a company like Madcatz, I would agree with you, but this is Valve, and with Valve, comes it's massive catalog of games, steam sales, free online, mod support, and every other benefit that Steam customers enjoy. 

The steam machines immediately will not be successful market sharewise ,but will be successful hardware wise. This means that it's manufacturers combined will probably set out to sell a few million over however long and they will get it, but Microsoft and Sony will not have to worry about it immediately, but over time they will as Valve continues to make improvements and learn from their mistakes. I imagine something like not necessarily death from a thousand cuts, but serious injury from a thousand cuts over a long period of time. In year 1 or year 2, steam machines will not be a problem, but it's 3rd year they'll have to address it and to keep customers from moving over to pc ,which by the way is happening right now. That's what I think is going to happen.

As for some of your other points, building and running a pc is pretty easy and most games you can play from the couch. Most things are actually automatic anymore. Again, it really is not that expensive to have your game look better compared to the consoles. I'm saying this from personal experience.

As for Nintendo's power, I think the lack of third party support has as much to do with bad wii u sales and 3rd party games selling poorly as it does with the power. Power was a factor, but bad sales didn't help. Even before the current gen consoles were out, 3rd party support wasn't that great and even the games themselves weren't selling that well. If anything, Nintendo has a brand problem in that your average customer just thinks kiddie games when they think Nintendo. They need to rebrand themselves somehow in a way that they don't lose that family friendly image but at the same time be able to cobble together enough so called "hard core" gamers to make their consoles more viable.

I think the mistake is that steam machines varies from integrated graphics to sli machines that cost 5000 uss. How are 3rd parties going to target the platform? you will have to find out minimum hardware requirements for each game. A console gamer is not used to that. A console gamer will buy a console in which every game will run. I think the only market that steam machines can steal buys from is PC. Its sad. I would have love to have one good steam machine at let say 800 USS that runs better than consoles and replace a PC, but that is not how things are going. 

CrazyGPU said:
hansrob00 said:

It it was a company like Madcatz, I would agree with you, but this is Valve, and with Valve, comes it's massive catalog of games, steam sales, free online, mod support, and every other benefit that Steam customers enjoy. 

The steam machines immediately will not be successful market sharewise ,but will be successful hardware wise. This means that it's manufacturers combined will probably set out to sell a few million over however long and they will get it, but Microsoft and Sony will not have to worry about it immediately, but over time they will as Valve continues to make improvements and learn from their mistakes. I imagine something like not necessarily death from a thousand cuts, but serious injury from a thousand cuts over a long period of time. In year 1 or year 2, steam machines will not be a problem, but it's 3rd year they'll have to address it and to keep customers from moving over to pc ,which by the way is happening right now. That's what I think is going to happen.

As for some of your other points, building and running a pc is pretty easy and most games you can play from the couch. Most things are actually automatic anymore. Again, it really is not that expensive to have your game look better compared to the consoles. I'm saying this from personal experience.

As for Nintendo's power, I think the lack of third party support has as much to do with bad wii u sales and 3rd party games selling poorly as it does with the power. Power was a factor, but bad sales didn't help. Even before the current gen consoles were out, 3rd party support wasn't that great and even the games themselves weren't selling that well. If anything, Nintendo has a brand problem in that your average customer just thinks kiddie games when they think Nintendo. They need to rebrand themselves somehow in a way that they don't lose that family friendly image but at the same time be able to cobble together enough so called "hard core" gamers to make their consoles more viable.

I think the mistake is that steam machines varies from integrated graphics to sli machines that cost 5000 uss. How are 3rd parties going to target the platform? you will have to find out minimum hardware requirements for each game. A console gamer is not used to that. A console gamer will buy a console in which every game will run. I think the only market that steam machines can steal buys from is PC. Its sad. I would have love to have one good steam machine at let say 800 USS that runs better than consoles and replace a PC, but that is not how things are going. 

I have seen the alienware alpha go as low as $400, usually for $450. I'm not sure where you are getting your estimates from. It runs pretty much any and every single one of steam's games in medium to high settings though I would recommend an upgrade of ram to 8 gb. I haven't seen how well the Linux variant performs, so it may actually do better because it doesn't Windows weighing it down. You can watch youtube videos on it. Developers don't have to specifically target steam machines because the steam machines simply piggy back onto the steam store. This is also the reason that it doesn't have to be successful market share wise. If the Xbox only sold a few million units, over a 2 year period, that would be disastrous because they rely on market share to attract 3rd parties to port their games over. However Steam machines can pull that off because the companies only need to make a profit off of the machine. The steam machines already have the user base of a 100+ million steam memberships in order to attract 3rd parties to piggy back off of.

As for minimum requirements, there is steam's refund policy if a game doesn't work well. I think Steam also specified that the machines had to be within certain parameters so it would run most games decently. The only ones I haven't seen work on them, are games like AC: Unity or the recent Batman, which were a mess of PC port to begin with.

Steam can also do what google play does, which creates a game is incompatible label on the store page, when it detects your computer hardware or have the game not appear at all.

The points that people bring up as to why steam machine will not be successful, are all valid points. I disagree however because they are all fixable problems. Will it be immediate? No. The reason long term that I believe is potentially very competitive is because of what Valve brings to the table. Steam itself - its massive catalog of games, free online, backwards compatibility going back to the 90s, mod support, steam sales, and the other benefits that pc gamers enjoy.

Again, Steam machines probably its first year out, will start out small and as problems are fixed and more games are compatible, it will pick up in popularity to the point that Microsoft and Sony will have to start shielding their businesses from having their sales siphoned off more noticeably as time goes on. That's my prediction.

2 Wii Us Duct taped together!

gigaSheik said:

To be honest if it's a hybrid portable type machine, I'd be pretty damn happy with double the performance of a Wii U. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
gigaSheik said:

To be honest if it's a hybrid portable type machine, I'd be pretty damn happy with double the performance of a Wii U. 

2 Wii Us 2 3DSs Duct taped together!

Back to the days 3DS has terrible sales, people says Vita with better hardware and apps and mature games and etc ... will dominated the handheld market and let's see what the market become, lol

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213
shenlong213 said:

Back to the days 3DS has terrible sales, people says Vita with better hardware and apps and mature games and etc ... will dominated the handheld market and let's see what the market become, lol

What?

zorg1000 said:
Eddie_Raja said:
Another last-gen console confirmed. Honestly unless they can sell this for like $150 as a go-to secondary console I don't see how this will do better than the Wii U.

There are a few rumors going around and if they are true than it will be a $150 device with upgraded Wii U specs and an Android-based OS. To me that sounds more like an Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV competitor than a Playstation/Xbox competitor.

The best I can think of with $150 is:

-4GB DDR4

-A GPU twice as strong as the Wii U.

^That's not gonna cut it unless it has some massively killer apps, and even then 30million at most.  Then again maybe that's all they need.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Eddie_Raja said:
zorg1000 said:

The best I can think of with $150 is:

-4GB DDR4

-A GPU twice as strong as the Wii U.

^That's not gonna cut it unless it has some massively killer apps, and even then 30million at most.  Then again maybe that's all they need.

For a portable centric platform that's pretty beastly. I think that would be more like $200. Double the Wii U in terms of GPU and it could handle some PS4/XB1 games on the go. Sure some of the effects may have to be scaled back and the resolution may have to be 960x540, but still. Knowing Nintendo it'll probably be less than that.