By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Source: NX "Is Definitely Not Aiming To Compete With PS4 On Horsepower"

Soundwave said:
Eddie_Raja said:

The best I can think of with $150 is:

-4GB DDR4

-A GPU twice as strong as the Wii U.

^That's not gonna cut it unless it has some massively killer apps, and even then 30million at most.  Then again maybe that's all they need.

For a portable centric platform that's pretty beastly. I think that would be more like $200. Double the Wii U in terms of GPU and it could handle some PS4/XB1 games on the go. Sure some of the effects may have to be scaled back and the resolution may have to be 960x540, but still. 

I meant for a home console.  At $150 this is not doable in a handheld.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network
Eddie_Raja said:
Soundwave said:

For a portable centric platform that's pretty beastly. I think that would be more like $200. Double the Wii U in terms of GPU and it could handle some PS4/XB1 games on the go. Sure some of the effects may have to be scaled back and the resolution may have to be 960x540, but still. 

I meant for a home console.  At $150 this is not doable in a handheld.

PowerVR GT7900 or GT7800 (mobile processors) could hit that, but more likely at $199.99. 

Eddie_Raja said:
Another last-gen console confirmed. Honestly unless they can sell this for like $150 as a go-to secondary console I don't see how this will do better than the Wii U.

Because Wii U was mess from moment that is relieved, had very bad name, terrible marketing, week launch titles, software drouths..

zorg1000 said:
Eddie_Raja said:
Another last-gen console confirmed. Honestly unless they can sell this for like $150 as a go-to secondary console I don't see how this will do better than the Wii U.

There are a few rumors going around and if they are true than it will be a $150 device with upgraded Wii U specs and an Android-based OS. To me that sounds more like an Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV competitor than a Playstation/Xbox competitor.

Nintendo already denied rumors about Android based OS.

Eddie_Raja said:
zorg1000 said:

There are a few rumors going around and if they are true than it will be a $150 device with upgraded Wii U specs and an Android-based OS. To me that sounds more like an Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV competitor than a Playstation/Xbox competitor.

The best I can think of with $150 is:

-4GB DDR4

-A GPU twice as strong as the Wii U.

^That's not gonna cut it unless it has some massively killer apps, and even then 30million at most.  Then again maybe that's all they need.

Wii U is currently $300 and 3DS $150, it very unrealistic to expect stronger Wii U for $150.

I think that NX is hybrid console of home and handheld console, some sort of portable device with display that can be connected to TV. In that way Nintendo would make games just for one platform and no more seperate for handheld and home consoles, also device like that would be perfect for Wii U and 3DS for backward compatibility too. Similar specs like you wrote, in comparison with Wii U better ARM cpu, 4GB RAM and more modern a little better GPU. Price around $250, maybe even $200, certainly not $300.

Miyamotoo said:
zorg1000 said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Nintendo already denied rumors about Android based OS.

Yep just like all companies deny things until they are ready to announce them. The same source reported that Nintendo was about to unveil a new 3DS redesign, Nintendo denied it and like 3 weeks later announced 3DS XL.

I'm not saying it's for sure true, just saying companies reveal things on their own terms.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Dunban67 said:

How could you have upgaraded or even the same Wii U specs at $150?   even if you knock off $100 for the game pad your still at $250 or close

Wii U is currently $300, it could very likely get a $50 price cut this fall (I'm guessing in September to go alongside Mario Maker) bringing it to $250. Shave off another $50 by getting rid of the Gamepad so now $200. Wii U also uses exotic components that aren't mass produced making the console cost more than it needs to. All of this plus were looking at a launch 12-18 months from now and $150 really isn't out of the question for a device slightly more powerful than Wii U.

ok thank you

Around the Network
hansrob00 said:
CrazyGPU said:

I think the mistake is that steam machines varies from integrated graphics to sli machines that cost 5000 uss. How are 3rd parties going to target the platform? you will have to find out minimum hardware requirements for each game. A console gamer is not used to that. A console gamer will buy a console in which every game will run. I think the only market that steam machines can steal buys from is PC. Its sad. I would have love to have one good steam machine at let say 800 USS that runs better than consoles and replace a PC, but that is not how things are going. 

I have seen the alienware alpha go as low as $400, usually for $450. I'm not sure where you are getting your estimates from. It runs pretty much any and every single one of steam's games in medium to high settings though I would recommend an upgrade of ram to 8 gb. I haven't seen how well the Linux variant performs, so it may actually do better because it doesn't Windows weighing it down. You can watch youtube videos on it. Developers don't have to specifically target steam machines because the steam machines simply piggy back onto the steam store. This is also the reason that it doesn't have to be successful market share wise. If the Xbox only sold a few million units, over a 2 year period, that would be disastrous because they rely on market share to attract 3rd parties to port their games over. However Steam machines can pull that off because the companies only need to make a profit off of the machine. The steam machines already have the user base of a 100+ million steam memberships in order to attract 3rd parties to piggy back off of.

As for minimum requirements, there is steam's refund policy if a game doesn't work well. I think Steam also specified that the machines had to be within certain parameters so it would run most games decently. The only ones I haven't seen work on them, are games like AC: Unity or the recent Batman, which were a mess of PC port to begin with.

Steam can also do what google play does, which creates a game is incompatible label on the store page, when it detects your computer hardware or have the game not appear at all.

The points that people bring up as to why steam machine will not be successful, are all valid points. I disagree however because they are all fixable problems. Will it be immediate? No. The reason long term that I believe is potentially very competitive is because of what Valve brings to the table. Steam itself - its massive catalog of games, free online, backwards compatibility going back to the 90s, mod support, steam sales, and the other benefits that pc gamers enjoy.

Again, Steam machines probably its first year out, will start out small and as problems are fixed and more games are compatible, it will pick up in popularity to the point that Microsoft and Sony will have to start shielding their businesses from having their sales siphoned off more noticeably as time goes on. That's my prediction.

The thing is, SteamOS is not Windows, so the developers will have to recode and optimize for it. Why doing it if you only have a few steam machines on the market, and why doing it if some steam machines will run games an others dont. I only see them as a living room expanded thing that receives stream from a big PC and that only some pc gamers will buy. As how it is, they will start slow and continue slow.  Anyway, we can talk about it in two years to see who was right. 

CrazyGPU said:

The thing is, SteamOS is not Windows, so the developers will have to recode and optimize for it. Why doing it if you only have a few steam machines on the market, and why doing it if some steam machines will run games an others dont. I only see them as a living room expanded thing that receives stream from a big PC and that only some pc gamers will buy. As how it is, they will start slow and continue slow.  Anyway, we can talk about it in two years to see who was right. 

SteamOS is not Windows, yes, but it's Linux and on Steam there are already 2395 Linux games and rising

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=&sort_by=_ASC&os=linux&page=1

And more and more games get Linux and MacOS releases.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

NX-handheld with 720p up and 480p down screen (no 3D anymore). Similar to WiiU in power when plugged in the docking station, lower on battery power. 199$, maybe less.

NX-console is a docking station for NX-handheld with power, HDMI out, USB and SD-card for external storage and bluetooth for external controller. 49,99$.

All games in one "hybrid" platform. That's the gimmick.

WiiU will continue as the option for disc based content. All popular WiiU games are available on lauch for NX.

No powerful home-console until PS5 and XB2, maybe never.

It will be as powerful as the xbone because there are rumours that say that the big third party developers saw the nx and felt in love with it

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

asqarkabab said:
It will be as powerful as the xbone because there are rumours that say that the big third party developers saw the nx and felt in love with it

Pro-tip: Third parties always love new hardware, but that doesn't mean that they will support it.

The truth is that they will take a back seat, see how it launches and how it sells, and then decide if they support it or not.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.