By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Source: NX "Is Definitely Not Aiming To Compete With PS4 On Horsepower"

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

Of course they speak of it as a single device, because referring to them as multiple devices completely gives away the secret.

I dunno. And Reggie calling it a "console". Just makes me think. Maybe Nintendo was looking at multiple SKUs, but who really is buying the console SKU if its roughly the same as the handheld? 

Did he specifically call it a HOME console? Because many people refer to handhelds as portable consoles.

People who prefer consoles more than handhelds will by the console. Form factor is not the only reason why people buy 3DS over Wii U, price and game selection also are major factors and Wii U is about twice the price with a fraction of the amount of games.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

I dunno. And Reggie calling it a "console". Just makes me think. Maybe Nintendo was looking at multiple SKUs, but who really is buying the console SKU if its roughly the same as the handheld? 

Did he specifically call it a HOME console? Because many people refer to handhelds as portable consoles.

People who prefer consoles more than handhelds will by the console. Form factor is not the only reason why people buy 3DS over Wii U, price and game selection also are major factors and Wii U is about twice the price with a fraction of the amount of games.

In Nintendo terms there aren't very many people willing to buy their console as is, the portables are overwhemingly more popular and if the portable can now play all the same games ... I dunno. 

I think there is a controller gimmick or some kind of novelty at the core of this design too, so perhaps it being something that can be moved easily around the house is part of that. Nintendo may have recoginized that just releasing another portable wasn't enough in light of smartphones/tablets, they need something else that makes it stand out, other than just "well you can also play these games on your TV". That's a decent feature, don't get me wrong, but it's not "OMG! I have to run to the store and buy this now" type thing. 

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

In Nintendo terms there aren't very many people willing to buy their console as is, the portables are overwhemingly more popular and if the portable can now play all the same games ... I dunno. 

I think there is a controller gimmick or some kind of novelty at the core of this design too, so perhaps it being something that can be moved easily around the house is part of that. Nintendo may have recoginized that just releasing another portable wasn't enough in light of smartphones/tablets, they need something else that makes it stand out, other than just "well you can also play these games on your TV". That's a decent feature, don't get me wrong, but it's not "OMG! I have to run to the store and buy this now" type thing. 

U completely ignored what I said. We have no idea if Nintendo handhelds are more popular simply because they are handhelds or if it's due to other factors like price or game selection.

If 3DS & Wii U launched around the same time, at the same price and with all the same games than its very likely sales wouldn't be in such a huge favor for 3DS. Instead of outselling Wii U by over 5:1, it may be more like 2:1 or 3:1.

That's something Nintendo needs to try before completely cutting off one side of their hardware. If NX Console sells 30 million & NX Portable sells 70 million than keeping around a console variant would definitely be worthwhile.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

U completely ignored what I said. We have no idea if Nintendo handhelds are more popular simply because they are handhelds or if it's due to other factors like price or game selection.

If 3DS & Wii U launched around the same time, at the same price and with all the same games than its very likely sales wouldn't be in such a huge favor for 3DS. Instead of outselling Wii U by over 5:1, it may be more like 2:1 or 3:1.

That's something Nintendo needs to try before completely cutting off one side of their hardware. If NX Console sells 30 million & NX Portable sells 70 million than keeping around a console variant would definitely be worthwhile.

If the Wii U ran games just slightly better than the 3DS, I think most people would buy the portable 3DS. What's the point of sacrificing portability if its the same games with roughly the same graphics. 

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

If the Wii U ran games just slightly better than the 3DS, I think most people would buy the portable 3DS. What's the point of sacrificing portability if its the same games with roughly the same graphics. 

U just keep going back in circles, NOT EVERYBODY PREFERS A HANDHELD FORM FACTOR.

What if u want to play games like Kid Icarus, Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Tomodachi Life, Bravely Default, Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Zelda remasters but u prefer consoles over handhelds?

What if ur a parent looking to get a gaming device for their young kid, would u choose the $130-200 hardware with $30-40 software or the $300 hardware with $40-60 software?

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

U just keep going back in circles, NOT EVERYBODY PREFERS A HANDHELD FORM FACTOR.

What if u want to play games like Kid Icarus, Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Tomodachi Life, Bravely Default, Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Zelda remasters but u prefer consoles over handhelds?

What if ur a parent looking to get a gaming device for their young kid, would u choose the $130-200 hardware with $30-40 software or the $300 hardware with $40-60 software?

I'm not saying there isn't a market for that potentially, but it's likely fairly small perhaps even smaller than the current Wii U audience. How many people choose the PSTV over the regular Vita? If you're buying one, odds are its the portable flavor. 

Kids generally choose which console they want, not the parents. I never let my parents get me a discounted Sega Master System when I wanted a Super NES, I made damn sure they got me the SNES. 

CrazyGPU said:
hansrob00 said:

If those same hard core gamers are so concerned with power why don't they just go with a PC. Hell, hardware is cheap enough that you could make a $500-600 computer and get the superior experience. I never understood that about the people who ragged on the Wii U's lack of power. 

I would also mention that steam machines are also in Sony and Microsoft's rear view mirror. It's not an immediate threat, but eventually more games will be compatible, the operating system will be improved, and with the right price cuts, they will begin to increasingly siphon off sales long term from both Microsoft and Sony. The console market is going to be very crowded.

A lot of hardcore gamers, wont buy a PC.

1- you need a more expensive PC if you really want to see big differences in graphics.

2- Most parents that dont know anything about PC just go to the mall or supermarket and buy a console.

3- Consoles are more user friendly. you just sit on the couch or bed and press a button to play. On a PC you have to enter to windows, enter to steam, check drivers, put big picture, and then play, not so friendly in the living room.

4- You have to find someone that build a pc for you, else its very expensive.

a console is like apple iphones, very easy to use, not much to set up, almost like buying a tv.

And I dont get the point on buying a steam machine. I think its just better to buy a cheap pc to do streaming and that can play a lot more native games. 

A console gamer will buy a Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo Console, wont buy steam machines.

Now, on the power.

IF Wii U had the same power of the PS4, then a lot of third party will develop for it.

Also nintendo would be able to make bigger games and with better graphics diferentiating itself from mobile gaming.

Nintendo had once the most powerfull machine of its time, the Nintendo 64, but now they want to earn money selling shit hardware. It was great with the wii because there were no mobile gamers, they introduced the wii mote and they were selling Wii  at 250 USS instead of 500. Now its another ballgame. And if nintendo makes cheap hardware that compares to mobile, they will fail horrible. They are more concern about making stupid amiibos that had almost nothing to do with the hardware to play the games or the great games they used to make like ocarina of time. Its almost like making dolls for fanboys instead of making great platform and games.    

It it was a company like Madcatz, I would agree with you, but this is Valve, and with Valve, comes it's massive catalog of games, steam sales, free online, mod support, and every other benefit that Steam customers enjoy. 

The steam machines immediately will not be successful market sharewise ,but will be successful hardware wise. This means that it's manufacturers combined will probably set out to sell a few million over however long and they will get it, but Microsoft and Sony will not have to worry about it immediately, but over time they will as Valve continues to make improvements and learn from their mistakes. I imagine something like not necessarily death from a thousand cuts, but serious injury from a thousand cuts over a long period of time. In year 1 or year 2, steam machines will not be a problem, but it's 3rd year they'll have to address it and to keep customers from moving over to pc ,which by the way is happening right now. That's what I think is going to happen.

As for some of your other points, building and running a pc is pretty easy and most games you can play from the couch. Most things are actually automatic anymore. Again, it really is not that expensive to have your game look better compared to the consoles. I'm saying this from personal experience.

As for Nintendo's power, I think the lack of third party support has as much to do with bad wii u sales and 3rd party games selling poorly as it does with the power. Power was a factor, but bad sales didn't help. Even before the current gen consoles were out, 3rd party support wasn't that great and even the games themselves weren't selling that well. If anything, Nintendo has a brand problem in that your average customer just thinks kiddie games when they think Nintendo. They need to rebrand themselves somehow in a way that they don't lose that family friendly image but at the same time be able to cobble together enough so called "hard core" gamers to make their consoles more viable.

zorg1000 said:
Eddie_Raja said:
Another last-gen console confirmed. Honestly unless they can sell this for like $150 as a go-to secondary console I don't see how this will do better than the Wii U.

There are a few rumors going around and if they are true than it will be a $150 device with upgraded Wii U specs and an Android-based OS. To me that sounds more like an Apple TV/Amazon Fire TV competitor than a Playstation/Xbox competitor.

How could you have upgaraded or even the same Wii U specs at $150?   even if you knock off $100 for the game pad your still at $250 or close

Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

I'm not saying there isn't a market for that potentially, but it's likely fairly small perhaps even smaller than the current Wii U audience. How many people choose the PSTV over the regular Vita? If you're buying one, odds are its the portable flavor. 

Kids generally choose which console they want, not the parents. I never let my parents get me a discounted Sega Master System when I wanted a Super NES, I made damn sure they got me the SNES. 

For once I agree with you. The idea of having both platforms have the same games is dumb.

MohammadBadir said:
Soundwave said:

For once I agree with you. The idea of having both platforms have the same games is dumb.

It's not "dumb", there's some merit to it, it's just if both the handheld and console variant are fairly close in horsepower, then it becomes a question of really what's the point? 

You may as well have one variant that can do both and as such increase its novelty/appeal factor. You can't exactly play your PS4 and then throw it into your bag and play it on the train too. That would be one fairly large differniator for NX. Throw in some kind of gimmick novelty controller, and voila you've probably got something that is sufficiently "different" from other game systems. 

Not saying this is a good (or bad) idea, just that there is some logic behind it and it probably meets certain tent pole's that Nintendo has. It has to be different from other game playing devices.