By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Street Fighter and Smash Dominates EVO 2015

Mike321 said:

First if they were to release an op character fans would let nintendo know it´s an op character and they would nerf it. Plus I don´t see how one character can change the whole metagame, maybe It could change some matchups but that´s it, no mechanics would change to the level that it affects the whole meta.

The reason why I don't belive a massive development will happend is because with the amount of players investing in the community and the evolution in technology those game changing mechanics should have been discover by now, the fact that no player with so many advance tools at his dispolsal has found one or more mechanics that can change the meta in a big way means the game won´t change a lot in the future. That why I mention custom moves so often, because the only way the meta is changing is with customs, however that change would be for the worst.

In your opinion.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
FunFan said:

In your opinion.

No. Customs suck and that's a fact.

Why do people bash on customs so much? I remember one complaint for Melee was the "lack of variety" and in sm4sh answers that with customs. This proves that we really don't know what we want.

Also, I find customs very interesting to watch as there is an air of surprise that can generate lots of hype. So therefore, it's an opinion. That's like saying Star Fox sucks because I hate it with a passion. That's an opinion, not a fact.  Not to mention it's a pretty ignorant thing to say.

Mike321 said:
So happy to see smash 4 so high, however the fact that custom moves are legal is going to hurt the game presentation for viewers as well as the gameplay for the players. As much as I love smash 4 EVO is not going to as hype as other smash tournaments.

Wrong. This is the one chance where ZeRo can be finally taken down with the element of surprise. This can be huge and that alone would create more hype Sm4sh ever experienced.

Kotastic said:
Mike321 said:
So happy to see smash 4 so high, however the fact that custom moves are legal is going to hurt the game presentation for viewers as well as the gameplay for the players. As much as I love smash 4 EVO is not going to as hype as other smash tournaments.

Wrong. This is the one chance where ZeRo can be finally taken down with the element of surprise. This can be huge and that alone would create more hype Sm4sh ever experienced.

No bro I'm sorry but you are wrong, first of all Zero knows everything about customs so there is no surprise and all this knowledge makes Zero and most of the top players hate custom moves because of how unbalanced and dumb most of them are. If Zero or any other top player gets taken down is going to be because of some move that takes no skill to use, is op and dumb. If the top players manage to survive all those custom moves in the top 8 of EVO you won't see any player using customs. Sorry but custom moves being unbalanced and stupid is a fact,just wait until EVO to see some of the most boring matches and some of the most dumb kills.

The other week someone here said Smash 4 hype died quickly. I think not silly fella

Around the Network

A little surprising to me. I always found ArcSys fighters to be the most fun, but clearly I'm an outlier.

Mike321 said:
Kotastic said:

No bro I'm sorry but you are wrong, first of all Zero knows everything about customs so there is no surprise and all this knowledge makes Zero and most of the top players hate custom moves because of how unbalanced and dumb most of them are. If Zero or any other top player gets taken down is going to be because of some move that takes no skill to use, is op and dumb. If the top players manage to survive all those custom moves in the top 8 of EVO you won't see any player using customs. Sorry but custom moves being unbalanced and stupid is a fact,just wait until EVO to see some of the most boring matches and some of the most dumb kills.

Doesn't mean that he has tons of experience about them at a national level. Knowing about a concept =/= actually being experienced to a really good player. Someone out of nowhere from Japan like Renai with Villager customs can potentially destroy ZeRo. Or anyone really.

mZuzek said:
Kotastic said:

Why do people bash on customs so much? I remember one complaint for Melee was the "lack of variety" and in sm4sh answers that with customs. This proves that we really don't know what we want.

Does it? Look, Melee lacks variety and that's a fact. It only has 6 competitive stages and around 6 viable characters too.

Right now in Smash 4 there's at least 10 competitive stages and 30 viable characters.

30 viable characters? Please. Link me one national tournament where a character other than Sheik or Diddy Kong won. Maybe there's 5 other characters that can potentiallly take it, but everyone below just gets overshadowed.

mZuzek said:
Kotastic said:

Does it? Look, Melee lacks variety and that's a fact. It only has 6 competitive stages and around 6 viable characters too.

Right now in Smash 4 there's at least 10 competitive stages and 30 viable characters.

Melee has more variety in movement. L canceling, wavedashing, dash dancing, shine spiking,... These are all things that benefit the pro scene providing players different options when playing the game. It may have been developed by accident, but it is still there and not in smash wii u because the developers felt it was to complicated.

I also hope 30 viable characters doesn't take into the fact that every one and their mothers would main greninja (pre nerf) or diddy kong in order to stay competitive.

I find it hypocritical that smash wii u fans will complain about melee fans, while they also go out of their way to downplay melee.

They are two seperate games that only share similar titles and characters. That's it. Melee is more competitive and smash Wii u is not. To each their own

Kotastic said:
Mike321 said:

Doesn't mean that he has tons of experience about them at a national level. Knowing about a concept =/= actually being experienced to a really good player. Someone out of nowhere from Japan like Renai with Villager customs can potentially destroy ZeRo. Or anyone really.

Anyone who uses custom moves at a national level is not a good player, hell not even at a national level any player that relies on custom moves is not is a good player. After EVO I would be shocked and dissapointed if custom moves are still legal.