Forums - Gaming Discussion - Street Fighter and Smash Dominates EVO 2015

ethomaz said:

psychicscubadiver said:

I can't speak for that guy, but that's certainly the case for me. I actually like Melee better (despite not being good enough tozbe competitive), but the way the Melee community treats new Smash games and their superior attitude keeps me from associating with them.

It is not a community fault at all...

It was a Nintendo fault that didn't make the next Smash balanced and good like Meele... the sequel games were good but not at the same competition level of Meele and they had some balances flaws too.


And the 'Proving My Point' Comment Award goes to... 



Around the Network
FunFan said:

Not to hate on Melee, but it bothers me how people make so many assumptions when comparing it to Smash 4 without taking into account the huge difference in metagame development. You can bet that, by the same time in Melee's life, wavedashing wasn't even a thing. Let see how Smash 4's metagame look with at least 3 years under it's belt, and when all characters are out.


No I really doubt the smash 4 meta is going to have a massive development, maybe some stuff here and there but nothing groudbreaking. That´s part of the reason customs were requested as legal in EVO because the community wanted to develop the metagame around the custom moves not knowing how unbalanced  a lot of them are, that´s why a lot of top players hate custom moves and won't even touch them at EVO.



                                                                                     

Wyrdness said:

Smash 4 is far more balanced then Melee what are you talking about? This is what the users above are talking about.

That didn't change what I said.

15 years to make a game on pair with Meele... that is the issue.

BTW custom moves are tottaly unbalanced.



ethomaz said:

Wyrdness said:

Smash 4 is far more balanced then Melee what are you talking about? This is what the users above are talking about.

That didn't change what I said.

15 years to make a game on pair with Meele... that is the issue.


Except it is on par with Melee it just uses a different approach like SFIV does when compared to SFIII. Even with custom moves Smash IV is still much more balanced as more characters are still viable compared to Melee.



FunFan said:

Not to hate on Melee, but it bothers me how people make so many assumptions when comparing it to Smash 4 without taking into account the huge difference in metagame development. You can bet that, by the same time in Melee's life, wavedashing wasn't even a thing. Let see how Smash 4's metagame look with at least 3 years under it's belt, and when all characters are out.

Melee is a pretty broken game, but that's one of the things that made it so fun.
I don't think Smash 4 will ever develop in that direction, because those things can easily be patched out by the developers. Where's for Melee, there was no way of removing those things, or rebalance the game.



Around the Network

America so free in GGXRD and takken 7 also persona , USF4. Japan and about taking all the money this year.



Wow, interesting how people get bent out of shape about the popularity of Melee.



Btw:

【EVO2015 Prize Bonus】

USF4: $50,000
MKX: $50,000
KI: $50,000
Tekken7: $30,000
P4AU: $10,000
GGXrd: $10,000
SSB WiiU:
=======
SSB Melee
UMVC3



Hiku said:

Btw:

【EVO2015 Prize Bonus】

USF4: $50,000
MKX: $50,000
KI: $50,000
Tekken7: $30,000
P4AU: $10,000
GGXrd: $10,000
SSB WiiU:
=======
SSB Melee
UMVC3

Anime game and USF4 also TEKKEN 7 just give ASIA the money already.



Oh my god, the Melee elitism in this thread is just getting atrocious.

If you honestly think your game is so much better in every way (I lol'd hard at "more balanced"), why the fuck do you even have to waste so much time and effort bashing the newer game other people love instead of just playing yours? Holy shit, seriously guys.

Both games are fucking fine. They take different approaches, and that's the whole point. Isn't it good that we actually have two Smash games at EVO? Well guess what, if every Smash game was just Melee reborn, we wouldn't. It was always going to be just the newer game, and screw fans of the older ones. Be fucking glad Melee had its revival and stop trying to bash on what's new just because you're a fan of the 14-year old game. Ugh.

Edit: If I'm being totally honest, I actually thought Melee was more hype than Smash 4 at Apex. Despite thinking Smash 4 is a better game for the players and just better game in general, at the time I felt like Melee was much better to watch, whereas Smash 4 was slow and boring. But you know what? That's to be expected, because the game just came out and people are still learning and getting better at it. And I'm glad to have seen that clear evolution at CEO, where Smash 4 was as hype as (if not more) than Melee.

Edit²: and obviously, I don't expect these hype levels to be anywhere near as high for Smash 4 at EVO, because customs suck hard.