By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: The Last Guardian needs to sell better than Ico and Shadow Of The Colossus

I certainly hope it's financially successful. I think that would embolden Ueda and his independent team to make future projects.

Around the Network

I just can't see this selling well at all.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

The E3 reveal has well over 3 million views. Doesn't mean it will sell 3 million but coupled with good reviews, bundles, advertising and word of mouth it certainly can be a commercial success. It won't do GTAV numbers but for an experimental new IP with no guns, no HUD, no cars etc I think it can do very well.

Burek said:
This much anticipation and hype will inevitably lead to disappointment, regardless of how the game turns out to be in both quality and sales.
E3 clip looked nice, but I found it very slow-paced. Hopefully the game does not insist on the little kid commenting every step he takes, that would drive me insane.

I think the game will do OK, probably not at the top of the charts, but I expect it to make much better returns on investment than The Order or Knack.

Have you played ICO? Or shadow of the collosus? 

If you have, and enjoyed those games, then the pacing of TLG would seem just fine and perfect to you. Especially compared to ICO. 

Samus Aran said:

Team Ico hasn't released games since the PS2 days (not counting remasters). Unless these guys helped other studios develop games during that period I fail to see how this could ever be profitable.

I assume that's exactly what happened (from my understand Sony Japan is something of a development blob in general, though Tachi would probably be the one to ask about that). I find it hard to believe that TLG has actually spent the last 10~ years in full on development. It having spent a significant amount of time in limbo seems more likely, which doesn't cost much/anything. That or it's spent that time with a relatively small team (or both).

As i said though, Shu has never shied away from hard truths in the past (e.g. mentioning that only 30% to 40% of their games are profitable, and that they rely on big hits to make it up), so i don't see why he'd start lying about such things now.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
Samus Aran said:

Team Ico hasn't released games since the PS2 days (not counting remasters). Unless these guys helped other studios develop games during that period I fail to see how this could ever be profitable.

I assume that's exactly what happened (from my understand Sony Japan is something of a development blob in general, though Tachi would probably be the one to ask about that). I find it hard to believe that TLG has actually spent the last 10~ years in full on development. It having spent a significant amount of time in limbo seems more likely, which doesn't cost much/anything. That or it's spent that time with a relatively small team (or both).

As i said though, Shu has never shied away from hard truths in the past (e.g. mentioning that only 30% to 40% of their games are profitable, and that they rely on big hits to make it up), so i don't see why he'd start lying about such things now.

If that's the case then yeah, it can be profitable. They need to show us some interesting gameplay or trailer though. The E3 footage didn't convince me (still better than the entire Nintendo Digital Event though, lol)

Intrinsic said:
Burek said:
This much anticipation and hype will inevitably lead to disappointment, regardless of how the game turns out to be in both quality and sales.
E3 clip looked nice, but I found it very slow-paced. Hopefully the game does not insist on the little kid commenting every step he takes, that would drive me insane.

I think the game will do OK, probably not at the top of the charts, but I expect it to make much better returns on investment than The Order or Knack.

Have you played ICO? Or shadow of the collosus? 

If you have, and enjoyed those games, then the pacing of TLG would seem just fine and perfect to you. Especially compared to ICO. 

No, I have not. PS4 is the first Sony console I have ever owned. I'll check them out on YouTube, I see a lot of people talking about them, but I know nothing about. I guess it is similar to what was shown the other week.

Nem said:

I believe Shu has said that a team of only 20 people has been working on the game... so i'm sure its not the end of the world. Only if they plan to squander alot of money advertising.

Hate to see this atitude from the higher ups trying to influence development for the sake of possible sales. Now they even have the gall to say it publicly. I really don't like it.

I say let the developers do what they want and looking at the scope of the project you decide on wich business model fits and how far you go with spending.

The game is not going to be finished by only 20 people that much should be obvious.

And you hate seeing managers "have the gall" to say that they want their own projects to be profitable? I find that to be an extremely weird stance to have, just like the "let developers do what they want"-opinion, you can't do that, there are certain things that are just completely financially unviable and the higher ups are there to weed out the projects that just don't work. These people are still paid by Sony so it's them that should accomodate to what Sony wants or is willing to accept and not Sony that has to work with what these devs want to make.

the-pi-guy said:
Lawlight said:

How is it in any way a Japanese game?

On a side note, Ico sold 700,000, which isn't too bad.

It's made by Team Ico, which is a team in SCE Japan Studio, which resides in Japan.  

How is it not a Japanese game would be a better question.  

I read it as "a very Japanese game".

DerNebel said:
Nem said:

I believe Shu has said that a team of only 20 people has been working on the game... so i'm sure its not the end of the world. Only if they plan to squander alot of money advertising.

Hate to see this atitude from the higher ups trying to influence development for the sake of possible sales. Now they even have the gall to say it publicly. I really don't like it.

I say let the developers do what they want and looking at the scope of the project you decide on wich business model fits and how far you go with spending.

The game is not going to be finished by only 20 people that much should be obvious.

And you hate seeing managers "have the gall" to say that they want their own projects to be profitable? I find that to be an extremely weird stance to have, just like the "let developers do what they want"-opinion, you can't do that, there are certain things that are just completely financially unviable and the higher ups are there to weed out the projects that just don't work. These people are still paid by Sony so it's them that should accomodate to what Sony wants or is willing to accept and not Sony that has to work with what these devs want to make.

You misunderstand. The developer propose the game they want to work on. Its aproved if it fits with a business model. Its not very different from what happens already.

There is nothing weird about it. What i dont want is for higher ups to disrupt the development creativity so we dont have shoehorned stuff like other games have.

Yes they have to do what they are told cause they are workers, but if you tell them what to do, they wont have room to spread their creativity and you end up with a flat product that fails.