By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What do you think of Marijuana?

Euphoria14 said:
luinil said:
Weed is a gateway drug. Once you start that you may find yourself looking to experiment more with other harder drugs. In this respect I do not believe it is wise to start anything that can be an addiction to something that can be so harmful. Smoking the weed is more toxic than cigarettes, or so I have heard from a doctor.

There are too many problems out there for this to be the number one issue for me though. I don't care what people do in the privacy of their own homes, but for God's sake keep the children away from it!

Been smoking marijuana for 1 1/2 years now, I have a friend who smoked since the age of 14 and he is 19 now. I also have a few friends at work (well... more than a few, lol) who smoke regularly. None of us have went beyond Marijuana.

My girlfriend never used to smoke, she was mainly a drinker and before we met she got herself mixed up in Extacy as well as shrooms.

The gateway excuse is just that... an excuse to keep it illegalized. You hear about people getting violent when drunk. I am a very happy fellow when high.

I have also heard the ridiculous "1 joint is the equivalent of 20 cigarettes"... yeah... ok. What is wrong with something naturally grown? Why is it legal to have tobacco companies add cancer causing chemicals to their product among many others just to insure you stay addicted to their drug? At least I won't go through physical withdrawal from lack of marijuana.I just went 4 days without because of y vertigo and it did not bother me in the least. How is that for a 1 1/2 year smoker? Can a 1 1/2 year frequent drinker and/or 1 1/2 year frequent cigarette smoker do that?

Not without medical help on majority of cases. I have been trying for years to get my Mother to stop drinking and smoking, even more now because of my Sister's baby coming along in 2 weeks. I stopped smoking pot for now because of this with no problem. No matter what we do, we can not get my Mother off the alcohol and cigarettes. Instead she uses the good old "stress from work" excuse.

Sad huh?

I'm a bit unsure of that myself, but I think when organizations say that smoking pot is more dangerous than cigarettes is because when you are getting high, you are supposed to take a deep breath and hold the smoke in as long as possible.  Cigarettes, you just puff.  I think the only time you will see a comparable effect of smoking relating problems with pot with that of cigarettes is when a pot smoker smokes as much as a cigarette smoker.

Also, some dealers do lace their pot with stuff in it too, which can make it more dangerous.  A friend of mine, who smoked pot for about three years, bought some smoked it, and had a massive freak out.  He felt like he was dying and he said everything around him was melting.  We think it was laced with LSD.  Because of that, he has never smoked again. 

Around the Network

Good read for all those who think it is SOOOO harmful.

What are the effects of cannabis?
Cannabis is not like alcohol. It's not like LSD. It's not like heroin. Every drug acts differently.

In many ways the effects of marijuana are much more subtle than those of alcohol. Even in high doses the sense of balance is not affected and speech is not slurred. Often there is remarkably little external evidence of use of the drug as users behave fairly normally. Marijuana may reduce anxiety and relax the user while at the same time intensifying experiences of the senses, such as sound, taste or touch. This often leads to the "munchies", a suddenly stimulated appetite. Cannabis tends to make people laugh more and often they like to engage in long conversations. People don't tend to feel bored as easily and their feeling of self-worth improves. It may reduce inhibitions without being associated with increased aggression as alcohol is.

Experience of time is slightly distorted, for example leading people who drive under its influence (something that we do not encourage!) to drive more slowly as they over-estimate their own speed (see an Australian study for a comparison of the traffic accidents risks of alcohol and cannabis).

Cannabis temporarily affects short term memory so users might be a little forgetful while the drug is effective. They don't always remember what they talked about in those conversations. Memory function returns to normal within a few hours.

As normally used it does not cause what are commonly called hallucinations. You don't see or hear things that aren't there. You don't forget who you are or where you are. You still know that you are under the influence of the drug.

With smoked marijuana the effects start within seconds and last one to four hours while with orally ingested marijuana the effects start after about an hour and can last from two hours to a whole day. The effects generally wear off more quickly than with alcohol, but they last longer than with tobacco, which is why marijuana smokers smoke far less than tobacco smokers. After the effects wear off there is no hangover and there are no withdrawal symptoms.

Marijuana is not effective for all people. Many who try it don't experience any effects at all. For others the effects are experienced as unpleasant and they never try it again. With novice users, excessive doses and in unpleasant surroundings there can be panic reactions, but all effects safely wear off within a few hours.

Though there is some concern about long term effects of smoke in general, marijuana as such is non-toxic and it does not harm the brain, liver or other organs. None of the risks associated with smoking (primarily bronchitis) apply to marijuana consumed in food (e.g. cookies, tea).

There is no known case of a single person ever dying from an overdose of marijuana. It is safer to take too much marijuana than too much aspirin, a common over-the-counter medicine. 50 doses of aspirin are lethal, but it takes an estimated 40,000 doses of marijuana.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
jake_the_fake1 said:
Garcian Smith said:
jake_the_fake1 said:
ElRhodeo said:
jake_the_fake1 said:
all drug users and traficers should be the punishemnt of amputation or death respectfully, no questions asked, people just have to learn, simply as that. :)

What is wrong with you? It wasn't funny the first time, much less when you repeat it.

Nothing is wrong with me, I just think it's time for some hard action to be put in place because clearly having a soft hand as we have now get's us no where, simple as that.

Because clearly the answer to stem the tide of nonviolent, victimless crimes is amputation or the death penalty. Let me guess: Next you're going to say that you would shoot them yourself, but you won't because [insert excuse here]. Thank you, Internet Tough Guy jake_the_fake1, you are clearly the last true hero in this world.

some times a few have to be sacrificed for the greater good, they are casualties of war. What war, I hear you say, it's the war against drugs my simple minded friend.

Now the reason I choose such a radical solution was because the current way of dealing with this problem simply isn't working, it's just a slap on the risk and that's it, if you really want to stop it then drastic measures have to be implemented, it's really as simply as that. Now the only people agains't this are clearly the same people doing drugs so it's natural for them to be defensive, but hey it's tough love and heaven knows we need it, and we need it now.

Only thing you forget it that people know damn well what they are doing when they do it. Nobody puts a gun to someones head and says "Smoke this and/or drink this or we will kill you".

You are more like "Smoke this and/or drink this and I will kill you".

The way I see it, you are worse than they are.

Man is the measure of all things, who is anyone to tell me what I can or can't do with MY BODY.

interesting you say this, cause we sure stop those that love to cut them selvs, but hey like you said it's their body and they can do what they like to it.

Now the question is, should tax payers money be spent trying to help these people once they've gone over board to the point of killing them selvs?

I say no, they should just be left to die, they decided to do it knowing what could happen, so they should be left to bear the brunt of their decision, after all it's their body and they can do what they like with it. 

Then read this.

In 5000 years of recorded worldwide hemp history not a single death has been attributable to an overdose of marijuana, while hundreds of thousands of people are killed by tobacco and alcohol every year.

Now guess which is illegal and which is legal.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

jake_the_fake1 said:
Euphoria14 said:
jake_the_fake1 said:
Garcian Smith said:
jake_the_fake1 said:
ElRhodeo said:
jake_the_fake1 said:
all drug users and traficers should be the punishemnt of amputation or death respectfully, no questions asked, people just have to learn, simply as that. :)

What is wrong with you? It wasn't funny the first time, much less when you repeat it.

Nothing is wrong with me, I just think it's time for some hard action to be put in place because clearly having a soft hand as we have now get's us no where, simple as that.

Because clearly the answer to stem the tide of nonviolent, victimless crimes is amputation or the death penalty. Let me guess: Next you're going to say that you would shoot them yourself, but you won't because [insert excuse here]. Thank you, Internet Tough Guy jake_the_fake1, you are clearly the last true hero in this world.

some times a few have to be sacrificed for the greater good, they are casualties of war. What war, I hear you say, it's the war against drugs my simple minded friend.

Now the reason I choose such a radical solution was because the current way of dealing with this problem simply isn't working, it's just a slap on the risk and that's it, if you really want to stop it then drastic measures have to be implemented, it's really as simply as that. Now the only people agains't this are clearly the same people doing drugs so it's natural for them to be defensive, but hey it's tough love and heaven knows we need it, and we need it now.

Only thing you forget it that people know damn well what they are doing when they do it. Nobody puts a gun to someones head and says "Smoke this and/or drink this or we will kill you".

You are more like "Smoke this and/or drink this and I will kill you".

The way I see it, you are worse than they are.

Man is the measure of all things, who is anyone to tell me what I can or can't do with MY BODY.

interesting you say this, cause we sure stop those that love to cut them selvs, but hey like you said it's their body and they can do what they like to it.

Now the question is, should tax payers money be spent trying to help these people once they've gone over board to the point of killing them selvs?

I say no, they should just be left to die, they decided to do it knowing what could happen, so they should be left to bear the brunt of their decision, after all it's their body and they can do what they like with it. 

According to many religions, killing yourself is wrong. I do not say it is right, but I have no control over that.

Difference here is that Marijuana does not kill you nor does you doing the drug hurt anyone else.

Currently playing:

Around the Network

Opium smoking was banned during the late Edo era, yet hemp had at no time before American occupation been illegal in Japan. We don't think this was because all Japanese was non-psychoactive. There are several reasons to believe that psychoactive cannabis was available before 1948, but the availability simply never led to problems. There was no valid reason to prohibit the possession and cultivation of this natural plant. Marijuana prohibition was a break with millennia old Japanese culture.

It's all the US and their money hungry leaders. That is all. They simply do not make enough off of it. So much moremoney to be made once people are forced to smoke cigarettes since these same people deemed them legal, yet are so much worse for your body and contribute to over 10000 deaths a year.

Take a read, this is about Japan alone and Cannibus.

http://www.taima.org/en/drug.htm

Currently playing:

mr-money said:
OK, let me break this down to you really, really simply.

Marijuana is not damaging to your health. It is the opposite. Marijuana is not addictive. It is the opposite.

Marijuana's previous name was hemp. It used to be illegal for farmers NOT to grow it. It was used for oil, textiles, food, drugs, and a replacement for tobacco.

It was rebranded "marijuana" and made to look dangerous by the media, so that the oil, drug and tobacco companies could profit immensely.

I advise everyone here to push for marijuana legalisation in your own state. Marijuana is great, although I have not personally smoked it, because I'm not into that stuff. I'd rather be fully conscious and aware. I'm not that insecure, although I guess it would be fun to try it.

Iam guessing when you say not addictitive you mean no withdrawl symptoms?? becaus people have addictive style personalities and chase the feeling they get when High! So maybe its not as hard as alchohol or nicoteen to get off of but people  can and do abuse it!

Also its can make some people paranoid! Iam not saying its any worse then alchohol ! But its all about escape and when your loaded everything seams so funny! and what about the munchies are we not already to fat here in America!

I used to burn and drink like a fish Iam sober for over 20 years now! When I used to get high at work  Id have gum and eye wash for the red eye! but still try answering a phone while your zoning out! Damn I was wasted!

They dont call it dope for a reason it doesnt make you smarter! Of course when I was in the arcade as a young lad I remember being lit and playing Robotron  2084 the true 3rd person shooter and greatest game ever IMO. Being in a complete zone I went off for over 10 million points it was euphoric when I finished my feat all I could do was roll another fatty and be at peace with the results!

By the way CWM that was me in the arcade back in the day sorry to steal all your HIGH scores!

PS I often wonder if I was on the chronic or the kind some big ol sticky indaca bud if I would still shred! or kust be another 20 LBS short of a hearattack!

WTF is with this thread. I can just see the people who have really crossed the line of depression or insecurity. You can see the people with saddest quality of life here or just having no aim or whatsoever........

There is no doubt that marijuana is a step stone which leads to more serious drugs. Not to say that all pot smokers uses heavier drugs but a lot of heavy drug abusers start out with pot.

Noone lives or die to themsleves so people who do drugs does in fact effect those around them. 

Euphoria14 said:
luinil said:
Weed is a gateway drug. Once you start that you may find yourself looking to experiment more with other harder drugs. In this respect I do not believe it is wise to start anything that can be an addiction to something that can be so harmful. Smoking the weed is more toxic than cigarettes, or so I have heard from a doctor.

There are too many problems out there for this to be the number one issue for me though. I don't care what people do in the privacy of their own homes, but for God's sake keep the children away from it!

Been smoking marijuana for 1 1/2 years now, I have a friend who smoked since the age of 14 and he is 19 now. I also have a few friends at work (well... more than a few, lol) who smoke regularly. None of us have went beyond Marijuana.

My girlfriend never used to smoke, she was mainly a drinker and before we met she got herself mixed up in Extacy as well as shrooms.

The gateway excuse is just that... an excuse to keep it illegalized. You hear about people getting violent when drunk. I am a very happy fellow when high.

I have also heard the ridiculous "1 joint is the equivalent of 20 cigarettes"... yeah... ok. What is wrong with something naturally grown? Why is it legal to have tobacco companies add cancer causing chemicals to their product among many others just to insure you stay addicted to their drug? At least I won't go through physical withdrawal from lack of marijuana.I just went 4 days without because of y vertigo and it did not bother me in the least. How is that for a 1 1/2 year smoker? Can a 1 1/2 year frequent drinker and/or 1 1/2 year frequent cigarette smoker do that?

Not without medical help on majority of cases. I have been trying for years to get my Mother to stop drinking and smoking, even more now because of my Sister's baby coming along in 2 weeks. I stopped smoking pot for now because of this with no problem. No matter what we do, we can not get my Mother off the alcohol and cigarettes. Instead she uses the good old "stress from work" excuse.

Sad huh?

I am not going to argue this as I do not know the points for or against it. I simply know that I will not do it simply because it is not for me. Again, I don't care what you do in private, so long as it is responsible and not causing harm to anyone else. If you feel it should be legalized go for it, but I will be there to counter you. I believe that it does more harm than good, at this time. I could be persuaded but I doubt it.  It is sad that your mom is addicted to those drugs, that's alcohol and tobacco are, and cannot/will not stop.

I hope you can get through to her soon. The reason I won't use the stuff is not because I am better or worse than anybody, but because I think that it degrades the culture of America. The more people that are "high" the more stupid decisions they will make, imho. We already have enough idiots running around thinking they are brilliant.