By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: We're Not Interested In High End Specs (Hardware)

Wii Us biggest problem was its gimmick gamepad. It simply cost too much to justify and served little purpose. I think Nintendo learned from that mistake and will apply it towards their next console. Going x86 will be their biggest thing next gen. If this doesn't happen and they go with another messy glorified GameCube chip then they will be doomed.

I'm still thinking that it will be more powerful than PS4 when it launches in 2016. After all being more powerful than the PS4 3 years after launch shouldn't be outside the realm of what he said. They just need to make sure that their next gimmick isn't some crazy expensive peripheral. If their next gimmick is that their games work on both handheld and console and both allow cross play online, then I think it would be the perfect gimmick for them.

Around the Network

No third parties again and from the looks of it, it might not match the ps4.

Angelv577 said:
No third parties again and from the looks of it, it might not match the ps4.

It's unlikely to get cross platform games but it can attract exclusives and indie.

IMO.. Nintendo needs to partner with a cloud like the Nvidia Cloud for crossplatform games.

Well duh, high-end specs are very expensive for a console. Theyve had this mindset for a while now, most if not all of their consoles have been built around this idea, so far only Wii and Wii U have been hindered by power in favor of a differentiator.

OdinHades said:
Nobody cares about High-End tech anymore and that's why PS4 and X1 also aren't mindblowingly powerful. We have reached graphics that are just good enough. They are not limitating games anymore in any possible way. A developer today can do anything he can think of in a game. So the problem isn't hardware anymore, it's just imagination. You need the right ideas. Designers will do the good looking, but even for that, you don't need a supercomputer anymore.

The only people who really care about physically correct hairs on the balls of their character or some stupid reflection at a place nobody is ever looking at, are those Master Race PC people, as they like to call themselves. If you have fun with that, fine by me. But I really don't care anymore.

They had the same processing power increase we get almost every new gen. Roughly 10x.  But PS4 is more popular mostly due to having won the processing power war against Xbox One.   And PC seems to be as popular as ever and again this is due to the fact that sony and microsoft took too long to come out with new systems and people started buying pcs and some of them haven't looked back.

Processing power doesn't help Nintendo though because at this point nobody would be confident to buy a nintendo console to play cross platform games because they haven't got the lions share of cross platform games since super nintendo. So for Nintendo going bleeding edge is not going to be that important.

Around the Network

They have never been. They hate powerful technology that could enhance gameplay.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

If it isn't X86 architecture and 3rd parties won't port games over they are doomed.
Remember that the cycle of PS4 will likely be 6-7 years so if NX comes out in 2017 they may be
out there 2-3 years before a new Sony / Microsoft console. They NEED to bring their innovation
no doubt but it must be on a platform with higher spec than PS4 or it will fail.....

Can someone just make the official Nintendo is 'domed' thread like that "Australian" user did for the PS3 back in 2009/2010?

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

padib said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
The NX had better be as cheap and compelling as the original Wii or else I wont touch it. I'll also wait for a year (or two) to see how they handle droughts.

They won't have any droughts. That's the whole point of the NX.

It's Nintendo. They'll figure out a way to have droughts. 

i'm down. If i can get at least wiiu power in a portable that will also play on my tv then i am totally down. Makes my choice to have 2 systems feel even more natural.